Newport, and the area?

J
JonT
Hello fellow anglers!

My girlfriend is from Newport, OR, and we are here on a little vacation for the week. What a beautiful place this is! We are visiting from Austin, TX. I do a lot of bass fishing there and grew up in Florida, so I'm used to the Gulf of Mexico saltwater, but love bank fishing. My girlfriend talked me out of bringing any fly or light tackle with me, but now she wants to go fishing (as do I). We are looking to rip some lip, whether it be sturgeon, trout, steelhead, salmon, bass, ling cod, rockfish... whatever, it don't matter. We are venturing up and down the coast all week, so any tips would be greatly appreciated. We went to a park on the Siletz yesterday just to swim, but it looked promising. Harry at the bait shop said there are trout biting at some reservoir, so we will seek that out. Off to Florence today. I will probably buy a few light spinning outfits and some spoons and roostertails just to have in the car, but this pretty part of the world is new to me...

Thanks in advance, and tight lines to everyone. Cheers!

JT

troutdude
troutdude
Harry was probably talking about Big Creek Reservoir #2 (upper, not the lower res). Just ask where the water treatment plant is, then venture on past that res to the upper res. You get there, by turning east OFF of Hwy. 101.

Or, he was referring to Olalla near Toledo. It's OFF of Hwy. 20, and about a mile (or maybe two) past Olalla Golf Course).

Reactions: Raincatcher
J
JonT
Thanks, troutdude. Now I gotta get some ultralites and spoons!

J
JonT
Troutdude, is this correct? And is that a bridge? Also, are there trails around and through the woods? Thanks man, I'm going tomorrow morning and will check out Olalla as well. I hear the fish are a bit healthier in there. (see attachment)

res.jpg

troutdude
troutdude
Yep, you got it. But that "bridge", is just the road over a culvert. The only trails I'm aware of: are on the western spit, off the road, and down to the lake.

Olalla is a clearer lake, with more fresh water flowing through.

BTW, don't fish in Olalla Creek (below the res), it's closed to any angling. So, just fish the res proper and you'll be fine.

J
JonT
Sounds good! Thanks a bunch for your help.

J
JonT
Ain't much but ain't a skunk. Lost a tiny trout, too. Both on a spoon. Saw a bunch of fellers using bait, but no catching.

photo.jpg

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Yeah I'm from Siletz which is really close to Newport and I fish at Big Creek quite a bit and this time of year theres dang near no fish in the reservoirs