Why don't you tie a swivel to the end of pre-tied leader rigs?

B
bob13bob
I've been watching the videos. I figure there must be a reason people aren't tieing swivels on to the leaders, where they can easily snap on to snap swivel from the main line. steelhead see it? affects action? non flexible leader length?

plumbertom
plumbertom
Some do, some don't, from what I've been able to learn.
Being a newby myself with less than 6 months fishing steelhead and only two to my credit, I've found the Frank Amato publications on Steelhead rigging pretty informative.
I don't watch the videos much, not because I don't think they would be helpful, but because I'm too deaf to hear the audio portions and it's unusual to find one with captions.

T
troutmasta
I use a leader in most applications. Bottom drifting or bobber fishing I do use a swivel but I tie the leader to it becasue that loop will tangle up your gear. Most people use a swivel

N
Native Fisher
If you tie a barrel swivel onto your mainline you can tie a snap swivel onto your leader(s) to make quick changes. I had always been told not to do that, but my buddy started doing it and it worked for him, so I started doing it and no problems. Get some lindy leader rollers tie up your jigs on one and drift gear, spinners, spoons on another. Saves you some trouble to on those super cold January and February mornings where your fingers don't want to work....

S
Steelheader4Life
Get some lindy leader rollers tie up your jigs on one and drift gear, spinners, spoons on another.

Or use some pipe insulation. Cheaper and easier to roll up the leaders. I do have a couple lindy's but recently switched.

N
Native Fisher
Steelheader4Life said:
Get some lindy leader rollers tie up your jigs on one and drift gear, spinners, spoons on another.

Or use some pipe insulation. Cheaper and easier to roll up the leaders. I do have a couple lindy's but recently switched.

I used to use pipe insulators, but the slit always caused it to flatten out and loose the round shape. Pool noodles work slightly better but in both cases the foam ends up breakign apart after some time and gets caught in the barb sometimes. Lindy's on the other hand don't seem to ever change shape, or break apart. Also having the raised dividers helps keep different colored jigs or yarnies separate, so the color won't run and mess up the other nearby jigs or yarnies. Thats just my experience and if the couple of buck difference is a factor, the pool noodles are an okay solution.

hobster
hobster
Swivels are essential for steelhead fishing, the fish go nuts and the main purpose for the swivel is line twist.
I have a book on drift fishing and the author reccomends adding a snap swivel to the end of your leader for easy attachment to the swivel on your mainline. I used to do it but now i just use 1 swivel i attach the mainline and leadet to. Reason being is cost, i hate loosing 2 swivels if my weight gets stuck. Most dudes i know only use 1 swivel although 2 is a great idea, just a bit more expensive.

M
meluvtrout
Essential? Why? Because the book says so?
Come on guys! Think out of the box/books every now and then...

Example: Why do you think fly fishermen don't use swivels? Isn't what they do essentially drift fishing? OK, mono is different diameter than fly line, so what?

I mainly drift fish and/or fly fish. Every now and then use a clip on bobber or an indicator.

I used to in the past, but never use swivels anymore and I definitely don't get line twists without them.

Essential, schmesential...

hobster
hobster
meluvtrout said:
Essential? Why? Because the book says so?
Come on guys! Think out of the box/books every now and then...

Example: Why do you think fly fishermen don't use swivels? Isn't what they do essentially drift fishing? OK, mono is different diameter than fly line, so what?

I mainly drift fish and/or fly fish. Every now and then use a clip on bobber or an indicator.

I used to in the past, but never use swivels anymore and I definitely don't get line twists without them.

Essential, schmesential...

Nothing to do with the book, many hours of experience on the river. Good point with fly fishing, haven't thought about that. All i know is if you toss spinners without a swivel it will spin 20 times when you retrieve it out of the water. I mostly drift fish and love using a swivel, works for me. 9 outta 10 steelhead fisherman will tell you the same thing. Better chance of landing the fish.

O
OnTheDrop
Uhhhh yeahhhh.... Swivels. They are a good thing :thumb:

M
meluvtrout
Newbie: why don't you tie a swivel to the end of pre-tied leader rigs?

OK, based on your description, you might need it, since your spinners aren't well tuned. Dan put together a tutorial years ago on tuning, you can find it in the archives. And between us: just don't give metrics you can't back up bud! I do predictive analytics for living. There are a lot of people fish with swivels, true, but not all of them are steelhead fishermen. Cheers ;)

O
OnTheDrop
Someone's had a few more IPA's than myself...Maybe a line of blow, too?

Why so butt hurt about someone using a swivel or not?

Most of the ways I fish favor a swivel. Though not 100% necessary..

Good luck everyone, swivel, or no swivel..

hobster
hobster
Yeah, i didn't mean to offend you with the "essential" comment, relax buddy. Anyway, back to the swivel topic..........

D
DirectDrive
Funny because the OP doesn't question the merit in using a swivel or not, just wonders why he sees leaders tied up without one.
...and he wonders about a snap swivel for quick changes.

I wouldn't use a snap at that connection because it's unnecessary baggage and creates a hinge point, IMO.
I do like a barrel swivel at that connection though and I like pre-tied leaders to be minus the swivel so I can adjust leader length and not have so many swivels "floating" around.

The surgeon's knot in the video is a proven way to connect two lines, although I prefer a blood knot.
The one flaw in his rigging is adding a split shot above his knot.
When the split shot gets wedged (hung up) it destroys the knot under pressure.
A cooler way to rig that would be to leave a tag at the lower end of the knot for the split shot, that way the split shot can slide off if hung up.

hobster
hobster
^^^^^ Great point on not having swivels on leaders. I adjust my leaders all the time depending on water level and clarity.

N
Native Fisher
hobster said:
^^^^^ Great point on not having swivels on leaders. I adjust my leaders all the time depending on water level and clarity.

I usually have them on all my jigs,spinners and the odd spoon, because it doesn't matter 2ft of mono is all you need. On my drift rigs I try to keep a couple tied with snaps, just so I can quickly run them under a bobber, but otherwise your right you don't know exactly how long a leader you will need, it varies a lot on the hole itself as much as the conditions of the river.

H
halibuthitman
Thrift is key to being an effective fisherman, anything removed from your set-up or pockets is a win, and anything not on your line is a win. I would not use two swivels simply for the fear a fish will choose to grab that instead of my presentation, I also don't use slinkys for the same reason, a 3 inch long black object is practicly a spinner.. might as well put a hook on the thing. I have seen and felt so many fish hit swivels and slinkys and hollowcore. Swivels are fine, and a great device that weights next to nothing so its not much of a weight or space commitment... but, anything you can streamline and clean up should be. I personally use a barrel swivel on my bead set-ups to facilitate re-rigging faster when its cold out.

K
kerrydaleherring
I think not having a swivel is kinda cool I myself use them but might give this a try. I think me luvtrout was trying to give everyone a new perspective... Works for me I'll try it see if its something worth changing to. Thanks for that meluvtrout.