Newbie to fly fishing.

Gunga
Gunga
Hey everybody. i am going to be getting a fly fishing setup in the next couple weeks. and i dont know what kind of rod to get. i know i want a 6 weight but i dont know the length or what type like graphite fiberglass. i was wondering if anybody could give me some tips on what to get.

brandon4455
brandon4455
what are you going to be fishing for?

M
mlw
And how much is your budget?
Your local fly shop has reasonably priced complete outfits that are usually better than what you'll find at a big box store. (and not so reasonably priced outfits if your so inclined). A decent line is important.
Michael

E
everett464
Michael nailed it.

Gunga
Gunga
i was wanting one to have fun with trout bass panfish and any other fish about 3 lbs and lower. i will have about 130$ to spend. oh and does anybody know where to get a good but sorta cheap fly tying kit. i would love to get into fly tying and see what i could come up with.

V
Van
While your best bet is a fly shop, you are probably going to spend a bit more. You might want to get a decent starter set up from a sporting goods store as a first rig just to find out if you are going to enjoy fly fishing. You have to be kinda careful in getting a starter set up. Some of them are garbage(Martin, Eagle claw) and some are pretty good{Reddington, TFO, Ross). My very first fly rod was a Martin combo starter set with flies, forceps, etc and i quickly found out that it was useless to me. I then went and got a Reddington Red.fly2 and really liked it. The rod is great. It is a 6wt and might be a bit on the heavy side for most trout fishing but it was great to learn on. I now have 4 different fly rods....

Also, find someone to teach you the proper mechanics of the cast. You will have more success and less frustration learning to fly fish.

Last edited:
E
everett464
good but sorta cheap fly tying kit.

Such a thing does not exist commercially. You can get tools relatively inexpensively if you get the tying traveler-kit that most fly shops offer. Most of them have a vise that will be fine at first, and that you will hate in a year (if you wind up sticking with it). Materials are where you are gonna get hit. You can buy a basic wooly bugger setup for 20 dollars or so, and tie Wooly Bugger (one color) until your fingers fall off, but if you want to tie EHCs, you are looking at 40 bucks just for a saddle; if you are thinking Adams, $80 for two saddles.
These are the high prices, there are less expensive options, but your best value is to buy the whole saddle. You could try to find someone to split a Saddle on here to save money (you would still have enough feathers to tie for a VERY long time).

Keep your eyes open on Craigslist, and garage sales. You never know when you will happen upon $500 bucks worth of material for 20 bucks. If you find something, buy it all, because you never know what you are going to want.

Further, this (OFF) is a great resource to find these sorts of things (materials). if you ask around, you may finde an OFFer in your area who has an abundance of stuff.

E
everett464
good but sorta cheap fly tying kit.

Such a thing does not exist commercially. You can get tools relatively inexpensively if you get the tying traveler-kit that most fly shops offer. Most of them have a vise that will be fine at first, and that you will hate in a year (if you wind up sticking with it). Materials are where you are gonna get hit. You can buy a basic wooly bugger setup for 20 dollars or so, and tie Wooly Bugger (one color) until your fingers fall off, but if you want to tie EHCs, you are looking at 40 bucks just for a saddle; if you are thinking Adams, $80 for two saddles.
These are the high prices, there are less expensive options, but your best value is to buy the whole saddle. You could try to find someone to split a Saddle on here to save money (you would still have enough feathers to tie for a VERY long time).

Keep your eyes open on Craigslist, and garage sales. You never know when you will happen upon $500 bucks worth of material for 20 bucks. If you find something, buy it all, because you never know what you are going to want.

Further, this (OFF) is a great resource to find these sorts of things (materials). if you ask around, you may finde an OFFer in your area who has an abundance of stuff.

E
everett464
I stand corrected. That looks like a pretty sweet kit.

Gunga
Gunga
i will have to check cabelas out then. thanks for all the info. im sure to find what im looking for now.

M
mrlindeman
The vise you are definatly right on though man. I lasted 2 weeks before getting a rotary lol. Hackle is overpriced though. I usually substitute but Im a cheap a#$ lol

H
halibuthitman
Not trying to be negative.. But you will suffer and have to work far harder than you think just learning flyfishing... let alone tying. I always recomend a fella fishes with the rod a couple seasons and really gets it down.. when you take on too many technical crafts at one time you tend to only half learn or dabble, take each thing in its own time and emerse yourself soaking it all in, and become a master of both... as apposed to becoming average at both- Brad

G
GDBrown
halibuthitman said:
Not trying to be negative.. But you will suffer and have to work far harder than you think just learning flyfishing... let alone tying. I always recomend a fella fishes with the rod a couple seasons and really gets it down.. when you take on too many technical crafts at one time you tend to only half learn or dabble, take each thing in its own time and emerse yourself soaking it all in, and become a master of both... as apposed to becoming average at both- Brad

I agree with Brad! If you plan on practicing with the rod and line before hitting the water PLEASE do it on a grass field like a baseball or soccer field. Many a newbie has ruined his line before ever getting it on the water by practicing in the street or a parking lot. Lines are water tight until they get nicked and rocks and concrete do that real fast. Watch a few YouTube videos or hook up with someone on the forum to give you some pointers to start with. Then go out and have fun!

GD

V
Van
I agree with both BDBrown and halibuthitman. That is why i suggested a lesson from someone well versed in the fly cast. If you can't get the cast right you are not going to catch many fish and it will just lead to a lot of frustration.

Gunga
Gunga
Haha i have already thought of that. my uncle has been fly fishing for years. he said he would teach me everything he knows. plus hes the one whos gotten me into salmon steelhead fishing in the first place. i just used to be a lawn chair warrior no im trying to become the very best fisherman possible.

T
Troutier Bassier
Dude I can take you fly fishing. PM me and I will teach you everything. I'm pretty good at flycasting.

Last edited:
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Yo Ty - I didn't realize your budget for a beginning outfit was going to be so high - we're going to have to make a trip to River City and introduce you to Don (the owner). For $130, you can get yourself a really nice starter rod. Don is really helpful, and he won't steer you wrong. He also doesn't push expensive stuff at you if you tell him you've got a set budget.

Gunga
Gunga
yep i figured that i could spend a bit cause im getting alost 1 grand in the next couple weeks.

P
psguardian
I have seen (and will likely buy one for myself) the Wapsi Deluxe Starter Kit (deluxe is bottom right pic on the page) I have found it from $70-$100 depending on what site you land on, may want to ask some local shops if they carry/can order, or can match this kit.

~psguardian

F
flyfishingphil
youngfishtyler said:
Hey everybody. i am going to be getting a fly fishing setup in the next couple weeks. and i dont know what kind of rod to get. i know i want a 6 weight but i dont know the length or what type like graphite fiberglass. i was wondering if anybody could give me some tips on what to get.

FYI. Although I build custom rods for those just getting started I highly recommend the bottom dollar TFO (Temple Fork Outfitters) rod package. Good working rod, lifetime guaranty, great one to learn on and not one that you'll feel you need to replace in 6 months. If you don't have a local dealer check it out at Cabela's on line site. For most folks a 5 or 6 weight, 8'6" to 9' in length is more than enough. Usually, when going after 3 lbs or smaller in size, you'll find a 4 or 5 weight is more sensitive and makes them feel a little bigger.

If you're looking at getting into tying find a copy of the Skip Morris book, Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple. Great starter book. If you want to teach your muscles the memory they need for proper cast just stop by my website and download the free casting exercise. It will "teach" your muscles what theyare supposed to do and make for much better casting.