Newbie hunter/camper/fisher needs some help!

D
Drame22
Hello all,

I have just recently starting fishing as a hobby, and as soon as I figure out the whole license thing, I'll be hunting too. My only taste of hunting has been my with my uncle far, far out into the woodlands somewhere.

I'm also a newbie at camping, and I'm sort of rolling both those problems into one. I've been trying to find a secluded spot on a lake or river, that is accessible by car, or has a place to park for the week while I hump the gear by foot. However, most places I've visited or called have people up the wazoo, and nothing is less fun than a crowded campsite.

Really, what I'm looking for is somewhere in Oregon(or southern Washington, western Idaho... so long as it's reasonably close to Portland, I'm willing to make the trip) that is far, far away from the typical family campsites. I've been to KOA and similar sites my whole life, and showers and electricity sort of ruin the experience.

I have a stock Ford Ranger, so I can manage trails and the like. Olallie Lake has been my favorite so far, it was only accessible via firefighting dirt trails(my dad's suburban barely made it), and had only a few dozen people when I went in the summer, but it was a typical cabins/yurts/electricity area. Something like that, but no showers or electricity would be perfect, but there doesn't seem to be much information on the web. So I figured I'd ask the hunters and fishers, who are the most likely to be finding these places.

So basically, seclusion is key, aside from being an actual fishing spot, of course. Me and my friends get real loud real quick at night, and besides that, I believe camping should be as remote as possible. It's no fun if your revelry is interrupted at 10:30 sharp by angry neighbor campers!

If anyone has any ideas, or locations, or even better, a map, please don't hesitate to share it! Also feel free to share any camping/fishing/hunting beginner advice. I've got the basics down(thank you Civil War reenacting!) like fire starting and cooking, but I'm always willing to listen to the elders.

Cheers all,
Drame22

H
halibuthitman
well hello! hell yeah! welcome to the forum!, a lot of fine upstanding helpful God fearin folks on here to help you... and then theres also a small group of us who would gladly camp with you and share your beer... you,ll figure out who's who soon enough.. Brad

T
Throbbit _Shane
It's a drive for you, but in Southern Oregon. Squaw Lakes are really nice to camp at, if you go other then in the summer time you can have either lake to yourself pretty much. And you have to actually walk/hike to all but one site.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

D
Drame22
Thanks Throbbit, I'll take that under advisement. Like I said, I don't mind a drive, so long as the end result is peace and quiet.

Any ideas for out of state? Washington on google maps looks like it has some fairly promising lakes.

O
Outdoor_Myers
What brad ment to say he will drink all of your beer while you are pass out by the fire!
Welcome to the motley crew of OFF!

D
Drame22
Myers, if Brad finds me my perfect campsite, I'll buy him his very own keg!

Thank you for the warm welcome gents.

H
halibuthitman
The best campsite in i know of for TOTAL solitude for medium river year round trout/steel fishing is in washington and about an hour and 15 minutes from the Rose Garden... Now, about that Keg...

D
Drame22
So long as it's total solitude, I'd trade all the fish in the world.

The keg will be air-shipped to your from Germany. Best brew in the world.

H
halibuthitman
I,ll p.m you.... and you meant Ireland... Harp, Guiness or Bass, blackthorne cider will work as well-

D
Drame22
Oh no sir! I am a firm believer in the 'less hops the better' philosophy. Why would you purposefully bitterize your beer??

O
Outdoor_Myers
Drame22 said:
Oh no sir! I am a firm believer in the 'less hops the better' philosophy. Why would you purposefully bitterize your beer??

Ekks ya never argue with how an irishman wants his booze ya just give how he asks for it.