Newbie crabbing / jetty fishery

T
Tokimunsta
Hi all!

New to crabbing, been doing some research and hit a standstill. I don’t own a boat or any crabbing traps, I’ve been to a place called “Jetty fishery marina rv park” once off of coos bay but we basically spent $100+ (Cost of Boat rental and gear) and DIDN’T catch any crab during the Month ending in “ber” season. We went at 5am. We’ve also tried dock crabbing and had no luck. I kind of want to go back since it seems the best option but am unsure as I hear it is molting season right now, and our best bet would be go to into deeper waters.

Is there anywhere else someone would recommend that would be more cost effective? Or is jetty the best place that offers boat rental? And traps?

Or should I buy all my own gear and just pay for the cost of the boat rental?

And for gear what gloves would be best? I’ve been looking at Home Depot water resistant grip gloves.

Any help would be appreciated!
We are trying to go within this month.

Last edited by a moderator:
plumbertom
plumbertom
Not a lot I can tell you as I crab from my small boat and own my gear.
I do know that crabbing can be effective from the Docks, jetties and crabbing piers.
What I usually do is watch the tides and crab through the high or low tide change.
when the tide is changing in the bays the current slows and then briefly goes slack before flowing in the opposite direction. Crabs are usually most active during the slowest current flow.
Do you Facebook?
There are a couple of groups that discuss crabbing and other shell fishing in Oregon.
advice there is free and although some of it is only worth what you pay for it, people are happy to help you out. That include where the current best catches are being gotten from jetties and piers.

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
I have my own boat and crab the same tides, do some research and find out what bait they are using. Talk to the pier crabbers but be polite about it. Oh forgetted to tell you, I don't fish out side of the bays. Sometimes I hit the fish markets in the stores and get the left overs for salmon, steel head etc. Chicken also works good, necks, wings, etc the less expensive parts. sorry won't divulge the other spots I hunt for bait.

G
Gethonorbro
https://www.tiktok.com/video/7155551446623178027
The jetty fishery is amazing, including the catches and the staff. Just all around a great place, we went to safeway before hand and got some chicken and some hotdogs. They love knew things most people just use what they got and most of the time that is just fish, the chicken and hot dogs I think keep them interested for longer giving us a chance to pull them up.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Let your pocketbook be your guide. Any gloves will do. Keeper crab avg.2lb to 2 1/2lbs at 11.99lb Safeway you do the math. GL Tony

Casting Call
Casting Call
At 12 crabs x 11.99lb=$349.00 WOW!!!! Get a boat/canoe/ yak. and start rowing. Tony

plumbertom
plumbertom
Casting Call said:
At 12 crabs x 11.99lb=$349.00 WOW!!!! Get a boat/canoe/ yak. and start rowing. Tony
Yep. The take allowance is quite generous.
I've found that far more often than not I get very near limits if Not so many I can cull the smaller ones from my little boat in Coos Bay, my main crabbing area.
Over the few years I've been crabbing here, I've been skunked (no legals) a couple of times.
Still a day on the water is better than a day at home wishing I were fishing.
It's just disappointing that fuel costs have kept me off the water so much this year.