Newbie and the Bonneville Dam Shad Skunk

F
fphifer
Got in line at the Dam about 6:30 with my new fishing comrade. Had a tip of trying robins island.

I am new to the northwest, shad fishing, drift fishing, and fishing with guys rubbing against my shoulders. Definitely can't stand the high pressure fishing, yikes!

I did a little research and made up some simple bead "shad killer" rigs. Had a 1/2 oz weight on a black snap swivel, and 24" of leader. It seem that the current was too strong for my 1/2oz weight. Had to reel it in before it hit the bottom didn't want to snag my fellow fisherman.

It seemed like everyone next to me was fishing with a much different approach. A large 10' pole with heavy line with a giant rock attached to the end. They would throw out the rock and run another line down the main line with three or four colored jigs. Those guys had some success, but it really was hard to fish next to them. Not the kind of fishing I was looking to do, wanted to learn how the drifting method worked.

Friend and I went home with a big ol' skunk. Desperately looking to remove it.
Anyone know if there is a better spot to fish by the dam (or anywhere else for that matter) with a drift approach?

Thanks,
-fphifer

F
FishSchooler
Bradfort island is much better normally, but I got skunked too. I hooked and lost it. Not much catching today, maybe 1-3 fish per bankie.

Though a guide caught over 44 by himself in 8 hours and gave them all to us (my father's collegue)

I think it has to do with the recent storm. The water's up and something's weird. Should'a been an overkill.

M
madoc
Shad fishing is a shoulder to shoulder affair. Most of the folks that I have met seem to be fishing for shad in order to use them as bait for oversize sturgeon, halibut and crabs. I eat them. Yes, bony, but the taste is outstanding, the roe is considered a delicacy on the East coast (where shad were transplanted from). And, if you can them, the bones basically dissolve.

As far as fishing for them - carry a variety of gear, and keep an eye on what the guys who are pulling them in are using.

I carry jig heads in green, pink and orange, shad darts in a variety of colors, swivels with basic siwash hooks, snelled hooks with egg loops for yarn, and a spinner or two.

The water up below bonneville is moving so fast you probably need at least 1 oz to hit bottom.

Alternate areas to fish are up at clackamette park, meldrum bar, etc.

P
PDXKush
I banged at least 25 out in 4 hours 2 weeks ago. 4-6 oz weight. Use a spinner (without the hook) or a spin n glo as a fish flash up your line then run a barrel swivel and just throw a dick nite spoon bronze or white with red tip. The next step is finding the fish...Just find the slew of boats and youll get some slimers no doubt. We used the bait this weekend for crawdads @ Timothy lake and lets just say it was Deadliest Catch 9 full pots 2 days in a row. Approx 1500 crawdads in 36 hours (We had over 20 people there). They love that stinky shad.

F
fphifer
Thanks for all the help! Is it shoulder to shoulder usually at clackamette park and meldrum bar?

I guess I might need to get used to the close quarters fishing, at least until I find someone with a boat.:D

P
PDXKush
Aww. Well I know the locks near Multnomah Falls is suppose to be a good bank spot for Shad. Not sure of crowds or the exact name but its closer than bonevillle.

F
FishSchooler
I found the problem. All the shad are on the washington side. Yesterday, with a total of 45000, 2000 were at bradfort (oregon), and 43000 were at washington. :( Does this mean that these are basically the catch rates for salmon and steelhead? :dance: It's easier than I thought!

Kush, where do you get your dick nites? Joes is gone and Dick's didn't have them (so much for the matching names...). I'm guessing we have to go to Fisherman's in gladstone unless sport's authority (or big five or fredmeyers) has them.

F
FishSchooler
PDXKush said:
Aww. Well I know the locks near Multnomah Falls is suppose to be a good bank spot for Shad. Not sure of crowds or the exact name but its closer than bonevillle.

Sorry for another post... There are no locks nearer to Multnomah falls than the cascade, which is further. Unless you are talking about a park, I don't think that there are any locks.

P
PDXKush
Hmmm. LEt me find the spot for you and I'll let you know. My buddy pointed it out on the way back from Bridge of the gods. As for the Dick Nites Fishermans Marine had a great sale recently for 2.00 each but they definitely have them. I also saw them @ Bi-mart last week but they were 4.00 each. PEace

Last edited:
O
osmosis
clackamette and meldrum arent quite shoulder to shoulder, but there is a person every 8-10ft, and a lot of them can be pretty damn grumpy if you arent used to doing the same as them - meaning plunking 6ozs, not drifting/swinging.
I got 7 for 3-4 hours two days ago and got 9 in 3 hours yesterday on the willamette from the bank both times. Its SLOW, and the fish are WAY out in the middle this year.

the company that makes dick nites sells them to you for $4.00 each, and fishermens has them for 1.99 right now.

P
PDXKush
I just took a look and Im thinking it was Cascade Locks. So I apologize. I'll find out for sure soon.

P
plunkme
lol well im going tomorrow and yes robin island is a good one to be at within 2 hours i get about 20, but it just sounds like you were at the wrong spot, you went too far once you hit the people who plunks for shad the drifters are closer to the dam ill let you and everyone else on my rig, its a 1oz weight to a leader thats about 30" to whatever jig head you want me i stick with shad darts and fyi you dont have to throw it out very far maybe about 30ft in front of you let it drift for a bit and slowly reel it in let me know if you want to know anything else

F
fphifer
Thanks for the info plunkMe!

I had a feeling I was in the wrong spot. So much to learn :)

H
Hawk
I was just reading a thread on another forum, Baskett-o-fish caught 65 shad + more at NIGHT above the Indian Platforms that are above the Bonneville Dam & also above the Cascade Locks using chartreuse, yellow, orange & pink yarn.........................:lol::lol::lol:.....................:cool::cool::cool:

T
Troutier Bassier
Yeppp. For dicks, Fishermans at delta park!

F
FishSchooler
Shocking

Shocking

Absolutely shocking. 1626 shad over the dam yesterday at bradfort island, where I was. About 32000 went over the washington side. And I hooked one! that means, that if there is a 14000 salmon day, like last year, I'll hook 14! :dance:

T
Troutier Bassier
Not so true about the salmon thing, How would you even be lucky enoiugh to hook one???

jkjk

F
FishSchooler
I don't get what you are saying...

T
Troutier Bassier
Ok, its hard to explain.

Maybe you might not hook 14 salmon (unless you floss) because its not equally likely to hook one cause of what you use.

For example.

I use a Kastmaster and hook 2 salmon

In the same condition/time of day/ weather etc.
I use a Krokidile and hook 10

see what I mean.

F
FishSchooler
Not if you're using TCO spinners... :tongue: