Newberg Sturgeon

B
BlackTalon
I didn't want to hijack on the other thread about sturgeon above the falls so I am starting a new one.

Anyone care to help me with any information about sturgeon fishing near Newberg. Launch at Rodgers? Go up river or down river? What bait is hot?

I have not looked it over yet so I realize questions may seem ignorant. I have fished a lot on the lower Willamette and the Columbia, just looking for info on something different. I would even consider taking out someone to learn the area if thats easier.

Thanks in advance.
Evan

Last edited by a moderator:
H
HANKIII
Anything pickled workes great,and from the island on the right all the way down stream to the 219 bridge is good,and also dont worry about getting into deep water. Ive hooked into 3 oversize in 15 foot of water.

F
fishtales
The name of the Island just west of Rogers Landing is Ash Island. You can row out to it during the summer but I would not try it during the winter because the river current is too strong. I have heard the there is good fishing from the point of this Island. Also, if you have a motor boat you can go further west a little ways past the month of the Yamhill. The water gets pretty deep and moves fast. During the summer months there are allot of fish here I have not been there during the winter. Let me know if any of this works for you.

T
troutmasta
There is a lot of sturgeon in that water. Used pickled squid! I've caught tons there in about 20 ft of water. Keepers too. Up where the yamhill meets the willy 4 mi. up steam ish. Ive caught them up there to.
I've also used worm sand shrimp combo but have more sucess with pickled squid.

B
BlackTalon
I do have a 17' Alumaweld with a 60hp prop. Is that area generally safe for prop boats? I might be out Friday if it sounds safe. Anyone else going to be fishing or want to ride along?

Evan

T
troutmasta
Ya its pretty prop safe. In the summer there can be 100 boats out there water sking fishing every thing. Plus theres an airport right there and I've literally seen planes with crazy pilots almost do "touch and go's" on the river, like 3 feet alltitude CRAZY. But any way If im free on fri day I might join ya. I've got an 89 bayliner and I take it out there all year. Be carefull though there can be some big logs floating around, and there are some home made bouys tied to big under water trees so watch out for those. Pretty common sense stuff. If I'm gonna meet you out there on friday I'll PM you. The pickled squid at Dicks have yielded the best results for me, but I've used the ones from bi-mart and had those hit pretty hard to.

H
HANKIII
Water was perfest out there today. 6 shakers and 2 keepers.... 18 feet of water. It can be pretty nasty though, and yes watch for old groth tree floating :D Pickled squid today