newberg/st.paul area

W
wrestlerstud32
so i was looking at google maps and saw a few bodies of water like skookum lake, mission creek reservoir, and mckay reservoir (oregon channel cat record). are these fishable waters? any info would do..thanks!

O
Oregonchris
Mission Lake is fishable along with....the one right next to it...I think it may be called Goose or something. I dont believe they are stocked but should have population of bass and pan fish. I took a look at Mission a couple months ago and it looked like it just started recovering from been blown out boy flood water.

kidholiday
kidholiday
HMMM I live in Wilsonville and am always looking for some bass fisheries. How good are these places to fish?

C
cavdad45
Actually Mission is a harsh fishing environment, even with plastics.

Skookum is no longer open to the public, same with Horseshoe (the best bass fishery within 50 miles of Portland).

The Yamhill Locks on the Yamhill River will be pretty good in another month for smallmouth and largemouth (and catfish).

O
Oregonchris
That is a fun float from Yamhill locks to Dayton...I wish it was a couple of miles longer, I think it was around 3 miles or so by GPS if I remember right.. The last time I did the Dayton to Newberg float (Kayack) I covered like 9.5 miles by GPS....That took awhile...

C
cavdad45
Oregonchris said:
That is a fun float from Yamhill locks to Dayton...I wish it was a couple of miles longer, I think it was around 3 miles or so by GPS if I remember right.. The last time I did the Dayton to Newberg float (Kayack) I covered like 9.5 miles by GPS....That took awhile...

Try going above the locks. We waded through there one summer. You can only get about a mile or so upstream before you hit a deep hole that is chest deep near the bank and the bank was impassable, too.

Would love to drag the jonboat over the falls and fish it far upstream. Virgin bass waters.

O
Oregonchris
You can put in at Mcminnville and float to Yamhill locks..have you ever tried that? It is on my list of things to do. Then at the end shoot the rapids in my kayack just to see what will happen (after removing tackle boxes and fishing poles...)

C
cavdad45
I've thought about going in at McMinnville, just not sure where.

W
wrestlerstud32
Actually Mission is a harsh fishing environment, even with plastics.

Skookum is no longer open to the public, same with Horseshoe (the best bass fishery within 50 miles of Portland).

The Yamhill Locks on the Yamhill River will be pretty good in another month for smallmouth and largemouth (and catfish).

awesome.. i'm thinking about getting a canoe and floating down the yamhill locks this summer. is horseshoe lake on private property?
thanks

C
cavdad45
wrestlerstud32 said:
is horseshoe lake on private property?
thanks

Yeah. I had a story published in Washington/Oregon Fish and Game magazine about two years before it closed. That would be around 1992 or 1993. All that to say there is a whole generation of bass who have never seen a bass lure swimming about that lake.

W
wrestlerstud32
wow...