Newbee Question

R
rmaulden
I'm still very new to fishing for salmon. What is a Jack? I've seen mention of them in the forum and in the Oreogn fishing regs.
Robert

F
Fishtopher
Im stumped....

Im stumped....

Another question...Ive heard the terms used everywhere I go...except the crowd I fish with, what is a "URB" or a "Tulie" or "Tule"? Im sure when I get an explanation I'll probably slap myself on the head..."Dow".
:think::think::think:

F
Fishtopher
rmaulden said:
I'm still very new to fishing for salmon. What is a Jack? I've seen mention of them in the forum and in the Oreogn fishing regs.
Robert

I think a "Jack" is a searunning fish that returns to the river after only one year at sea.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Jack are immature Salmon with a real strange tendency to want to return upriver, and reach maturity after only a short stay in salt water. They do ths after a year or so in the Ocean...We will see their bigger siblings in the next year or two, as they will all wait for full maturity before returning. They are considered under the general Chinook/Coho retention regulations, but you can keep 5 per day, not counting towords your adult Salmon limit...Check the regs. for the system you are fishing, and if Chinook retention is open, so are Jack. Jack are Chinook between 15"-24", and Coho between 15"-20." They taste great, as they are the younger fighters, so much higher quality, generally speaking.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Fishtopher said:
Another question...Ive heard the terms used everywhere I go...except the crowd I fish with, what is a "URB" or a "Tulie" or "Tule"? Im sure when I get an explanation I'll probably slap myself on the head..."Dow".
:think::think::think:

Tule Chinook, are fish that come into the river systems, with one thing on their mind...Spawning. That is what they do, enter rapidly, spawn rapidly, and color out rapidly, in the lower end of the river. They have much lighter meat than your average Chromer, but the Bucks are still decent eating, as the flesh is a little firmer than hens. Up-River Bright is a term used for the up-river spawner Fall Chinook, as opposed to the Tule, which spawn in the lower river. So two distinct runs, the Tules that are ready to Spawn in the lower river immediately, and the URB's, which travel through the lower river still chrome bright, until they reach their "up-river" spawning grounds. URB's are normally fairly large, and have nice firm meat. Fun fishing...

F
Fishtopher
Gotcha. :confused: Now, is there a reason a "Tule" is named Tule? Or is that just the name they picked up.
Ive been called a Tule :redface: before but Im sure it is for a different reason
:lol:...err, :shock:

A
ArcticAmoeba
The name Tule is something that I believe was picked up, or originated from a Native American term... I think, probably not, but you know how that goes. An overloaded brain is hard to sort through sometimes.;) If somebody calld you a "Tule" maybe it was a friendly insult, saying you are of lesser quality, or something.:think: Maybe you should retaliate with a "well you are just a smelly Pikeminnow then!":cool:

F
Fishtopher
Aha!

Aha!

:lol::lol: :think:I think I would now call'em a corn suckin' carp:tongue:

R
rmaulden
ArcticAmoeba said:
Jack are immature Salmon with a real strange tendency to want to return upriver, and reach maturity after only a short stay in salt water. They do ths after a year or so in the Ocean...We will see their bigger siblings in the next year or two, as they will all wait for full maturity before returning. They are considered under the general Chinook/Coho retention regulations, but you can keep 5 per day, not counting towords your adult Salmon limit...Check the regs. for the system you are fishing, and if Chinook retention is open, so are Jack. Jack are Chinook between 15"-24", and Coho between 15"-20." They taste great, as they are the younger fighters, so much higher quality, generally speaking.

So, is it just the size that determines whether or not it is a jack?
Robert

F
FishFinger
yep

B
bigdog
:think:Well hey heres another newbee ???? If they close the season for samon on the 16 like they are saying they are going to then what about the other runs? Do they open it again in the fall and winter? how many times do they open and close samon season and how do you know when it is open? I've read the book and it really don't make sence to me, and do they open and close stealhead season the same or is it year round? I've heard from some people that it's year round.:think:
CJ

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Still no answer!

Still no answer!

FishSchooler said:
Read zah regs. Fall nooks are 1-16th, the rest I dunno. Heres a link. Resources: Viewing - Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
Read everything and youll know what not to fish for at what time!

Ummm, you did see the part where he said he did read the regs,didn't you? Sometimes reading does not equate to understanding,especially if it all comes across as gibberish. Just when you think you understand, someone with a brand new pencil starts making changes. So, if anyone has the real answer to the real question,please explain it so we can all understand.
Thank you.
Barb

A
ArcticAmoeba
This is what you can fish for, and when...

I-5 bridge upstream to Bonneville Dam...
OPEN for adipose fin-clipped STEELHEAD - 1/31-3/31, & 6/16-12/31
OPEN for adipose fin-clipped JACK CHINOOK - 6/16-7/31
OPEN for CHINOOK, & adipose fin-clipped COHO - 8/1-12/31

Remember that the Chinook seasons always get fudged with, now it is closing on Tuesday, 9/16. Coho, and Steelhead are still open, and there are some big 'Hos movin up Tanner Creek. You can sight in on 10,000 fish...Really cool to see. Also notice that retained Chinook on the Columbia don't need to be sans adipose. Although since it is only going to last a few more days, that information is almost worthless, but good to know anyways.

B
bigdog
so coho and stealhead are going to be open til december but not nook?
do you have to tag the jack as well as the others?
man i feel like i need to go to school to learn all this but then once you learn it they will change it.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Yes. You are able to retain Steelhead, and Coho until Dec. 31, and just Steelhead until March. You do need to record Jack on a Hatchery Harvest Card. It is only 12 dollars to get another 10 slots, so filling up on jacks is not a bad deal, for how good they are to eat.

B
bigdog
lol oh great now i have to get another card besides the one i have or is that a card that works for all the taging again i mean does that mean i can get that many more stealhead and all or is that card just for jack?
sorry for all the ???? but like i said the site and book dont make much sence to me

A
ArcticAmoeba
Record all retained fish on your tags. I was just stating that if you need to buy a Hatchery Harvest Card for 12 bucks, you can. All that a HHC does is make it possible to record more fish..You are not limited in the number you buy either. I have filled a couple with just Steelhead, at least one and a half with Jack, and I'm in need of another because of this recent surge of brat Jack Chinook in front of the Coho. You can fill up a HHC in as little as 2-5 days, depending on what you catch, and the volume of what you retain.

F
Fishtopher
I understand your problem, but it is the anglers responsabilty to know and understand the regs. for the system you are angling. If you dont get it you should put in as much time trying to learn the rules as you are fishing! Learning on here is great as many people that post seem to understand the regs. and catch fish. But youll never get as much out of here as will from the book as far as rules go. Read it. Read it. Ask questions. Read it again. Repeat.
I hope I dont come across as rude, but it is for your own good and everyone should do the same.
:)

A
ArcticAmoeba
Fishtopher, it is not rude, it is true...All anglers should know, and understand the regs, and hopefully Rmaulden, and bigdog are doing just that, trying to understand while learning. It will only benefit you as an angler to know what, and when you can fish for certain species, as well as, where, sometimes too. The DFW gets book bangin lawyers to write the Regs. out, so that they can't be held responsible, for not providing pertinent information. It fairly strange to read, but just simplify it, and understanding it becomes a lot easier.