New to the sport. Suggestions?

1933Oseries
I'm a native Oregonian, I live in Portland, I'm almost 50 years old, and have fly fished for trout off and on for 30 years. I'd like to fish for Steelhead and Salmon but not with a fly rod. I need some advice on gear, literature, etc. I'm interested in fishing off of the bank as a boat is not an option. Essentially, where do I start?

Reactions: brandon4455
brandon4455
brandon4455
well coastal rivers are the best options atm im no the best with knowing spots but the wilson,salmon,slietz and three rivers are my favortie fall spots. as far as gear a 7-9ft rod with 6-50lb line depending on what method you use and if it is samon or steelhead. from what ive heard bobber fishing is good this year

here is a video from steelheadstalkers for float fishing. i found it helpful YouTube - How to Rig up for Steelhead Float Fishing bobber and jig or pink worm works for steelhead. size 4-5 bright colored blue fox with scent and plunking with corkies using a egg weight (1oz) to a barell swivel arms length leader and a corky with yarn or with eggs. drifting works probably the best though instead of an egg weight with the corky rig use a slinky and cast upstream and let it drift down and repeat if you feel one set that hook! good luck to you hope this helps,

brandon

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I am NOT the greatest person to ask for information....but...I would check the Tutorials out for some of the info. Reading the archives in both Salmon and Steelhead sections is another suggestion. You will find tons of information,videos and helpful tips and tricks there. We have a bunch of members in your area who are very generous with their expertise. Oh yeah,welcome to the forum! lol

1933Oseries
Thanks for the quick responses, I need some direction. As far as Steelhead rods go, should I be looking for one that carries a warranty in the event I break it? A gentleman at Fisherman's Marine pointed me towards a rod made for their store and a Shimano reel with a total cost of approximately $160. I can afford this, but like many purchases, should I spend a little more for quality, features, or warranty? I will continue to 'shotgun' out questions as long as forum members tolerate me. Thanks in advance for the comments and advice.

Reactions: OnTheFly
H
halibuthitman
welcome to the forum!
1. Look up steelhead univerity online
2. find the info online for oregon river levels
3. pick a gear style "drifting, bobber, spinners, plugs,"
4. Buy a good set-up ( lamiglass, st croix, are great middle cost rods )
5. Book a day on a river with a guide and fish the gear type you plan to use.
6. Have a 10 fish winter right off the bat! Good luck-

troutdude
troutdude
If you'd like to try spinners...get a copy of Jed Davis's book, "Spinner Fishing for Steelhead, Salmon and Trout"; Amato Publications, Portland. Has tons of info about the science of using spinners and making your own too. The first time I read the book and made my own...I hooked into 4 'nooks on the Siletz...all 40 pounds plus. (C & R'd 3 of 'em).

P.S. Welcome to OFF; and all of the above suggestions are great!

1933Oseries
These suggestions are precisely what I need. Anyone able to answer my question about rod choices, perhaps which brand is reliable, has a warranty without a lot of drama if I need to return a broken rod? I'm also comfortable just going with what a reputable salesperson suggests if your experiences support that.

Reactions: brandon4455 and OnTheFly
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I searched some of the archives and "popped" them back up for you to check out. They will be on the front page dating back to 2008. Hope these help. I like my IM7 & IM8,personally.

H
halibuthitman
1933Oseries said:
These suggestions are precisely what I need. Anyone able to answer my question about rod choices, perhaps which brand is reliable, has a warranty without a lot of drama if I need to return a broken rod? I'm also comfortable just going with what a reputable salesperson suggests if your experiences support that.
lamiglas is gonna be your easiest rod to return, right over in woodland.. and the american built ones are very tough good rods. a lot of guys seem to rant and rave about the griggs rods... I fished an 8wt flyrod for about 8 days this summer and if their spin rods are anything like their flyrods I would not recomend them.. or the G loomis rods, best warranty in the business.... and also the most commonly broken tips in the business..

troutdude
troutdude
Personally, I am torn about Lamiglas rods. I have an "old school" (1960's) Ultralight glass rod, that I dearly love.

However, I had a bad experience once too. I bought a used Graphite Lamiglas steelhead rod in the late 80's. Before buying, I gave a very careful tip to tip exam (even bending it a great deal w/ my paws, to test it's "strength"). Everything checked out, so I bought it. I immediately took it out to the Sandy. And, you guessed it, on the 3rd cast; the butt section splintered above the handle as I cast a light weight lure.

Long story short, the rod was sent to Lamiglas for a replacement (which was their guarantee at the time). In a few weeks, I got the same rod back w/ a note saying that it was not a "manufacturing defect". So, they would NOT replace the rod. I have NEVER paid for a new Lami again...but, have picked up a few used ones for dirt cheap.

If I was going to buy a new steelhead rod today, I'd look into TFO. It's Gary Loomis's new company and rod line. Not sure what kind of warranty they have. But, I like the rods and the price is moderate. And it beats paying more for the Loomis rods.

H
halibuthitman
exactly...soooo was that lure caught on the bumper of an f-250 on your backcast? warranties are a joke, sages origanal warranty almost sunk the company, my Hardy has the worst warranty I have ever seen... g loomis warranty caused his rods to have to be so expensive that he couldn't even afford to buy one.. and started a company priced back down where the working man shops... f8888 warrantys... go buy an okuma every 3 years and throw the old ones away.

troutdude
troutdude
Nope, that broken rod was no fault of mine. And it was in perfect shape when I got it...no signs of damage or cracking/splitting or anything else. I was NOT happy, when Lamiglas made it seem like I was at fault for the rod's break. So, they lost a customer.

I agree, Okuma makes really good rod. I saw a 7' UL Kokanee rod recently, for around $40. I plan to buy 2 of them soon.

S
steelhead_stalkers
troutdude said:
I'd look into TFO. It's Gary Loomis's new company and rod line. Not sure what kind of warranty they have. But, I like the rods and the price is moderate. And it beats paying more for the Loomis rods.

TFO is not Gary Loomis's new company, he was paid to design some rods for them, they are not on the same level as the old G Loomis rods. His new company is call North Fork Composites and they only sell blanks. They are very expensive and are extremely high quality. They are said to be better than the old GLX rods from many people!

troutdude
troutdude
steelhead_stalkers said:
TFO is not Gary Loomis's new company, he was paid to design some rods for them, they are not on the same level as the old G Loomis rods. His new company is call North Fork Composites and they only sell blanks. They are very expensive and are extremely high quality. They are said to be better than the old GLX rods from many people!

I was apparently fed incorrect information; regarding ownership of TFO. I was only passing along the info that I had heard. Thanks SS, I stand corrected.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Its good info you gave, I have heard good things about the TFO rods and they good priced too. ;)

troutdude
troutdude
Thank you. I looked at some TFO rods recently, at the fly shop in Lebanon. I agree, they look like good bang for your buck <pun intended...LOL>.

C
cchinook
suggestions

suggestions

do not get to carried away with what I call '' rod and reel obsession " , remember the fish do not know how much your gear costs , all they know about is what is in front of them - what is much more important is this :

Where are they ?
When are they there ?
What to bring ?

There is no use in fishing a salmon or steel river after it is all over , every river has a schedule . Be there when the fish are there . I have done this for a while , so at the risk of being overrun by e - mails you can ask me about the fishy schedule at cchinook45@yahoo.com

H
halibuthitman
you have "the fishy schedule" ?...... wow.. do they email that to you... or do you still use the old snail mail?

C
cchinook
just trying to help out - I guess I should have said the fishy schedule that seems to work for me

H
halibuthitman
im just kidding.. you could't be more right in my opinion... I just wanted in on the secret e-mail if it existed.. sometimes people don't get my humor.. sorry