New to the area and a rookie! Could use some help!!

OREGON FISHING FORUM

mthorp25

Hello everyone !! I moved to Oregon in September and am interested in getting into fishing around here. I am a beginner, havent fished in about 15 years, and when i did it was salt water in Florida.

I have a few hundred bucks to spend (400ish) and would like some help in deciding what kind rod, reel, tackle and equipment needed to start out. I would prefer to have two set ups, one for my girlfriend and I.

Also, I live in Hillsboro and have no idea where to even begin fishing. Any helpful hints for a rookie would be greatly appreciated !!

Thank you !!

Raincatcher

Welcome to the forum and Oregon! The first thing you need to figure out is what species you will be targeting. Then, are you going to be wading in the streams? If so, you will want breathable waders and good boots. You really don't need to spend a fortune on rods, reels and gear, even if you want to get into fly fishing. I suggest starting at Bimart or WalMart. Once you decide you're "hooked" you can get into the more expensive gear if you want. I'm sure you will get tons of differing suggestions from other folks, but you will have a great time once you get set up.
As for where, I always suggest checking out www.boatescape.com for lakes and rivers in the state. You will find species, maps, directions and weather info.
The best advice I can give you is relax, enjoy the wonderful outdoors and remember, you aren't going to go home with a fish every time. Oh, and the most important thing you need is a copy of the fishing regulations. You can get the booklet at any place you get your license and gear or git them online.
Have fun!

C_Run

I noticed that BiMart has Lamiglass Cascade Pro rods in their current coupon book and they come in all sizes. There is a good opportunity to get a few $$ off some decent rods.

OnTheDrop

I could set you up with some Shimano Rods/Reels for a good price, if you were fine with used gear. I'm about to be selling a bunch of reels/rods soon.

troutdude

Welcome to Oregon, and to OFF. Glad to have ya.

It you, and your gf, would like to chase trout--or smallmouth bass--Henry Hagg Lake, is da place to go. You're probably about a half-hour away, and there's lots of bank to explore. Hagg also holds other warm-water species, too.

You can use the search function; and look for archived threads about Hagg. You'll find TONS, of reliable information. Good luck, remember to share your adventures and pics on here.

pinstriper

+1 to Hagg and Bi-Mart. Just about whatever they have as a trout combo for around $20 on sale will be a perfectly serviceable rod.

Which is not to say other deals aren't great gear or deals, just that this is the shortest path between two points.

You can (will) spend the rest of your budget on sinkers, swivels, bobbers, spinners, stringers, hooks, hook removers, polarized sunglasses, fishing hats, fishing vests, fishing knives, fishing pliers, bait boxes, tackle boxes, etc. etc. etc.

And that's just for trout.

DAMHIK

Carp

Fishermans is having a sale starting Saturday.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Yea , I went today and picked up a lamiglass x11 for $64 !!! Also P-Line is like $14 for braid! There's also north river rods for $54 And TC2 rods for $39. All great rods and good sales right now! But you can come in anytime and pick up a sst rod for $79 great rod!

OnTheDrop

PM me.... Salmon and Steelhead spin rods up to 9'6 6-10 ratings, standard Spinning reels and a few bait aster setups.... Let me know what looking for

mthorp25

So do i have to target a specific species? In Florida, i would go to the pier, cast my line and wait for a bit. Is there a bit more to it than that here? What i would like to do (for starters), is to go to a riverbank or something similar and toss a line in the water. Obviously there is a bit more to fishing than that, and i would like to know the ins-and-outs of Oregon fishing so i can up my chances at catching something. So lets just say i wanted to catch trout and steelhead to begin with and go from there. Something easy to get acclimated to the state. What would i need? Mind you, i know none of the acronyms about fishing and tackle, im basically a five year old learning to fish for the first time.

Also, i would love to go wading in the streams. Ive never done it before and it seems like more of a hunt that way. Is there a good starting place for that?

mthorp25

+1 to Hagg and Bi-Mart. Just about whatever they have as a trout combo for around $20 on sale will be a perfectly serviceable rod.

Which is not to say other deals aren't great gear or deals, just that this is the shortest path between two points.

You can (will) spend the rest of your budget on sinkers, swivels, bobbers, spinners, stringers, hooks, hook removers, polarized sunglasses, fishing hats, fishing vests, fishing knives, fishing pliers, bait boxes, tackle boxes, etc. etc. etc.

And that's just for trout.

DAMHIK

I know what some of those words are !! Like hooks, sinkers, bobbers, knives pliers and the most basic of basics... and everything outside of that i dont know what it is or how to properly use it. There is a mom and pop bait shop around the corner from me that got a lot of really really good reviews (plus i prefer to support the local community and spend my money there than at the bid department stores), so i was thinking of heading over there and pleading my case to them. Im sure they would be more than willing to explain all the things to me since i am a man child and know next to nothing about fishing. Thanks for you reply !!

mthorp25

Also, im not familiar with the fishing etiquette in these parts. I would like to keep what i catch, are there any laws against it (besides the obvious; short fish, out of season, not allowed to keep, etc)? I dont want to step on any toes or be a rude fisherman, so can anyone give me some pointers so i dont **** anyone off?

Thanks again for all your help, friends !!!

C_Run

Also, im not familiar with the fishing etiquette in these parts. I would like to keep what i catch, are there any laws against it (besides the obvious; short fish, out of season, not allowed to keep, etc)? I dont want to step on any toes or be a rude fisherman, so can anyone give me some pointers so i dont **** anyone off?

Thanks again for all your help, friends !!!
Step one would be to pick up a free copy of the fishing regulations and read it thoroughly. You can find out which waters are open and what species are in season. The Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife website has regular updates by zone of what is being caught and where and is good for general information of that sort.

troutdude

Yes; read the reg book for the areas you want to fish. Be sure that you understand those regs, BEFORE you venture out. Game Wardens EXPECT you to fully know, and understand the laws, BEFORE you hit the water. If you then have specific questions, ask us. We will try to help.

Also...there ARE indeed regs about "catch and release only", "no bait", daily bag limits. etc. So be sure to pay close attention, to those regs.

pinstriper

I know what some of those words are !! Like hooks, sinkers, bobbers, knives pliers and the most basic of basics... and everything outside of that i dont know what it is or how to properly use it. There is a mom and pop bait shop around the corner from me that got a lot of really really good reviews (plus i prefer to support the local community and spend my money there than at the bid department stores), so i was thinking of heading over there and pleading my case to them. Im sure they would be more than willing to explain all the things to me since i am a man child and know next to nothing about fishing. Thanks for you reply !!
If you mean Hoggs, I was just in there for a salmon clinic, and found their prices very competitive, their selection is perhaps limited a bit as they really are only carrying higher end stuff. Nice people and a good store.

Bi-mart is regional, and employee-owned, and Fishermans is of course local. So to the degree that "buy local" matters (not at all to me - the employes are all local) those qualify. I get lots of advice at Fishermans, and even some at Bi-mart. Service is important to me and I have done well with both. Moreso at Fishermans, of course.

EOBOY

Step one would be to pick up a free copy of the fishing regulations and read it thoroughly. You can find out which waters are open and what species are in season. The Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife website has regular updates by zone of what is being caught and where and is good for general information of that sort.
And when you read those regs. you'll probably be just as cornfused as the rest of us......LOL:D

EOBOY

PM me.... Salmon and Steelhead spin rods up to 9'6 6-10 ratings, standard Spinning reels and a few bait aster setups.... Let me know what looking for
Hey buddy save one of those Baitcasters for me, ol buddy, pal.......:worthy:

EOBOY

Welcome! What part of Florida? I have family in Hillsborough and Crystal river. Welcome to Oregon.

Dana

C_Run

And when you read those regs. you'll probably be just as cornfused as the rest of us......LOL:D
I was going to say that, too, but I didn't want to upset him. OFF is where you can ask more questions and get the facts or maybe misinformation as well.

Top Bottom