New to steelheading

M
Mrk13p
im new to the area and live near the clackamas. I've been fishing carver and Barton park with no luck at all. The only place I landed a steelie was all the way on the south santiam below foster dam. Am I just wasting my time at carver/ Barton? I've been out there 10+ times already with no luck. I don't mind driving all the way to the santiam just wanted to know if the calackamas has been producing also. Thanks in advance.

P
Pni_fisherdude
there are lots of fish in the clack. try going up to mciver their might be some fish up there. getting them to bite is another story. getting there as early as possible might help too.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF.

Have you tried the Sandy? It's closer, to you, than the South Santiam. And the North Santiam, is even closer.

Reactions: Troutski
M
Mrk13p
Thanks for the replys guys! I tried oxbow but I had no idea that dogs weren't allowed so I had to leave lol. I went up to Mciver and fished trout at the dam which was very succesful. Sooooo many damn places to fish here I'm overwhelmed haha. But I'm dying for some steelies

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to OFF, you are so right when it comes to "Sooooo many damn places". I moved here 33 years ago and set out on a quest; fish as many bodies of water that is possible... Haven't even scratched the surface. As for Steelhead, in the Great lakes region they say the Muskie is the 10,000 cast fish... The Steelhead is the second cousin. The cool thing about fishing is now matter what happens on a trip, you are still outdoors in Oregon:)
Tight lines..

Chuck

B
Berg03
yea 10+ trips to a river is not a lot. Some people have to wait a year or 2 of aggressively fishing for steelhead to get one on their own. A guide will help a lot to learn a river and learn where they hold. Steelhead can be very tricky. Well worth the wait though. Good Luck and keep at it. Eventually you will figure it out and nail em!

D
DrTheopolis
The Clack is having its best summer run in many years... it's loaded. But in low, clear, warm water, it's tough fishing. Ealy/late helps, and overcast days are money. On a sunny afternoon, fish water with a broken/foamy surface. And in those conditions, the fish can hold in pretty shallow water.

The rubber hatch can make the Clack even more challenging (but easier on the eyeballs).

P
Pni_fisherdude
Caught this 30" slab of steel on the clack today
649875e5f9e3dc41c13896b32cce1fb1.jpg

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pinstriper
M
Mrk13p
Nice! Would you guys be willing to share where you were fishing on the clack? I've been posted under the bridge right at carver park. At least that's where all the guides told me to fish. At Barton, the guides told me to fish right next to the boat ramp.

P
Pni_fisherdude
Mrk13p said:
Nice! Would you guys be willing to share where you were fishing on the clack? I've been posted under the bridge right at carver park. At least that's where all the guides told me to fish. At Barton, the guides told me to fish right next to the boat ramp.

Pm sent

M
Mrk13p
No Title

I guess joining OFF was good luck!!!!! Caught at riverside park

Reactions: BaldTexan and Admin
Troutski
Troutski
Congratulations, it is a matter of timing....

Chuck

J
Jordy
Please be polite. If you are at the hatchery by all means jump on in.

There is a ton on of literature on steelhead ettiquette online. A lot of folks are facing a bad reputation. Stop low-holing starts at home!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Reactions: montym
J
Jordy
And Im not talking about you mrk13p, just trying to get the word out.

T
taconight2night
Mrk13p;n597025 said:

Nice!! What did you catch it on?

T
taconight2night
Pni_fisherdude;n597002 said:
Caught this 30" slab of steel on the clack today
649875e5f9e3dc41c13896b32cce1fb1.jpg

Great looking fish! What did it bite on?

P
Pni_fisherdude
taconight2night said:
Great looking fish! What did it bite on?

It bit a black worm with a pink tail, on a white jig head. He was a fun fish to catch too.

M
Mrk13p
taconight2night;n597120 said:
Nice!! What did you catch it on?

just a pink bead with some smelly jelly

T
taconight2night
Thanks for the pointer guys! I am a recent transplant from Eugene to Portland and am trying to figure out the new fishing game up here. I was at Riverside park today as well as the mouth of Eagle Creek tossing a #4 blue and silver Blue Fox. No sign of a fish anywhere but it was fun exploring :thumb:

J
jziesing
Jordy;n597089 said:
Please be polite. If you are at the hatchery by all means jump on in.

There is a ton on of literature on steelhead ettiquette online. A lot of folks are facing a bad reputation. Stop low-holing starts at home!

Mrk13p;n597025 said:

congrats!!

I am new to steelheading as well, so where are they? Up at the hatchery (like McIver) or closer down (riverside) or what?