New to steelhead fishing and in need of advice

Kaipernick
Kaipernick
I’ve spent the past several months using float set-ups with steelhead worms and marabou jigs. I’ve also been using Brad’s Wigglers. All of my fishing adventures have been on the applegate river. Should I consider using roe or nightcrawlers on my float set-up or should I plunk? I’m just a little confused and haven’t had much success other than one that broke off. Any advice would be much appreciated!

P
pinstriper
It all depends on the water conditions and nature of where you are fishing. Some spots are good for bobber fishing, others better for drifting. Plunking is a high water affair, at least for me.

Kaipernick
Kaipernick
pinstriper said:
It all depends on the water conditions and nature of where you are fishing. Some spots are good for bobber fishing, others better for drifting. Plunking is a high water affair, at least for me.
Should Instead use roe instead of a jig when float fishing?

P
pinstriper
Kaipernick said:
Should Instead use roe instead of a jig when float fishing?

You can. It isn’t a matter of should. Under a bobber you can run beads, yarnies, eggs, jigs, pink worm on a jig, pink worm on a hook, plastic fake egg clusters and so on. Some will add scent,some won’t. Some use shrimp, some do things in combination. Fish have been caught just about any way you can think, and what works one day fails the next.

Reactions: Flyinfish57
Flyinfish57
Flyinfish57
Ahhh the Applegate, one my favorite tribs. Some of my first steelhead ever caught came out of there. Mr.pinstriper covered a lot of the bases for you in the post above, and i will offer you my .02. Take note of the river level/flow via the river charts online, that way you have a reference point as to what the Applegate will look like when you head out. River low? clear or both? 1st I would run my bobber with a single bead/soft egg maybe a small bait of some sort. Lotsa flow? green water? same as above just a tad bigger and maybe brighter offering. I have fished leaders as low as 6lb. test there when needed. One more, SPOONS. Learn to use them. Rain would often get fish riled up on the "gate" and they will hammer them. Ditch the treble hook if the spoon comes with one and replace with a siwash single point of some sort. Use the highest quality plating finish spoons u can afford they will pay off in the long run. The info is out there if you look. Used to fish from the tavern down to the mouth and always looked forward to March. Ya got me missing it, good luck.

Reactions: O. mykiss
Kaipernick
Kaipernick
Flyinfish57 said:
Ahhh the Applegate, one my favorite tribs. Some of my first steelhead ever caught came out of there. Mr.pinstriper covered a lot of the bases for you in the post above, and i will offer you my .02. Take note of the river level/flow via the river charts online, that way you have a reference point as to what the Applegate will look like when you head out. River low? clear or both? 1st I would run my bobber with a single bead/soft egg maybe a small bait of some sort. Lotsa flow? green water? same as above just a tad bigger and maybe brighter offering. I have fished leaders as low as 6lb. test there when needed. One more, SPOONS. Learn to use them. Rain would often get fish riled up on the "gate" and they will hammer them. Ditch the treble hook if the spoon comes with one and replace with a siwash single point of some sort. Use the highest quality plating finish spoons u can afford they will pay off in the long run. The info is out there if you look. Used to fish from the tavern down to the mouth and always looked forward to March. Ya got me missing it, good luck.
Yeah I’ve been fishing that tavern hole religiously the past couple of weeks?

• Haha
Reactions: Flyinfish57
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
I think you are on the right path myself. I like pink worms under a float with a white 1/4 jig head. I also fish lots of jigs, sometimes they will take a plain jig othertimes they want a chunk of prawn or small sand shrimp tail attached. One thing I will say is after a decent rain the raises the water but does not blow it out the fish will be in the heads of runs and in riffles 2-4 feet deep as they are active and getting ready to move. When it’s colder and lower like it has been much of this winter the fish will be lethargic and sitting in the deeper holes. Fish purple/pink, all purple, nightmare colors. Keep adjusting your sliding float down until you find bottom then come up a foot or two. Keep doing this all through the hole as the depth changes throughout.
Right lines!

Kaipernick
Kaipernick
Flyinfish57 said:
I’ve been fishing that tavern hole religiously and I’ve tried a few different things like drifting, floats, and even using plugs but to no avail. Should I try fishing Robertson bridge or even Schroeder park?