New to Salmon/Steelhead

A
Ariel&Jared12
Hey everyone! Just got Salmon/Steelhead tags. New to fishing for them. Any advice?

R
RunWithSasquatch
Search function every key word you can think of. Then refine your question.

Dont give up, always make 100 "last" casts.

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
a 8'6 -9ft medium heavy rods for salmon and 8-9ft medium for steelhead depending on what techniques your goin for. 20lb mainline if you usin mono for salmon and 10-12for steelhead. if your float fishing use braid. and dont use cokies and a hook. if your gunna use corkies atleast throw some bait on with em. sandhsrimp is my personal favorite for salmon. throwing size 5-6 spinners either casting and retrieveing them or drifting them works good for salmon . sizes 1-4 for steelhead depending on water depth/clarity. chartreuese ,pink,orange and other bright colors are my favorite while spinner fishing. i guess this is good general knowledge on fishing for mainly salmon. not the most detailed but should do you some good. and one more thing. this isn't bass fishing. you can't harass spawning fish and keep them LOL

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
First,remember what your life was like last week,last month & last year. Once you begin persuing these wunnerful critters,your life will be forever changed. Your level of frustration will rise to a new high. Your every thought will involve these feindish finned foes. Your budget will be at constant odds with your new "gotta have its'". Your family may attempt to lure you away...be strong,you can resist family. Best advice...total commitment or...RUN LIKE HELL THE OTHER DIRECTION!!!
Enjoy the moment. :)

Reactions: lilsalmon
C
capblack
if your just getting started, get a good float rod and spinning reel, and try jig and bobber, and bait and bobber. good way to get started

T
Throbbit _Shane
First of all if your fishing for salmon from the bank on the rogue river you will need some beads, corkies, or yarn for bait. Then some heavy bank weights, depending on where your fishing you'll need 2-5oz. Your leader should be 4-6ft long. Then all you'll need is a really sharp hook. And a level wind reel that can hold a bunch of 20-25lb line. I think once you have all of that you'll be ready to do the famous Rogue River sweep. A salmon rod would come in handy too.

Iv never done it... But if you want to fish the Rogue River for salmon especially in the hatchery hole your gonna have to floss or snag your salmon. Or else you wont fit in, and im sure everyone will get upset.

As for steelhead. The summers arnt here yet. And the winters are super ugly. So id wait a month or two for the fresh steelys. And hopefully by then the water is lower on the rogue. With steelhead they'll take many baits and lures. My favorite being spoons.

With all of that said. Go up to the Hatchery on the Rogue River. Thats where most people are bank fishing at. See how theyre doing it. Some are nice and will explain whats going on. Iv talked to some guys on the boat ramp side who were friendly. Good Luck!

D
Drew9870
Pick up some #5 and #6 Blue Foxes, since clear water and sunny weather will be playing a role, you're better off with anything BUT silver blades, too much flash will spook the fish (most of the time), Brass will work great on the somewhat cloudy days, Copper if it's a little sunny, or try to find a weighted spinner with a black blade for the extremely clear, sunny days.

If you don't want to worry about all these different colors of blades, you can also match the size to the conditions, for extremely clear days and clear water, you can get away with a #3 or #4 with a Brass blade, it will work more effective for Steelhead than a #5 or #6. Steelhead are more curious than a Salmon, a Salmon has to get p'ed off which comes from the sight of another fishes eggs or getting to the lateral line, which is generally the result of using a big spinner or Kwikfish.

But like Shane said, sometimes you can't work a lure in some situations, and that is where the Corkies and Yarn are used, I only use yarn for steelhead since they actually eat it and it is a waste when used for Salmon.

Last edited:
S
skunk
Raincatcher said:
First,remember what your life was like last week,last month & last year. Once you begin persuing these wunnerful critters,your life will be forever changed. Your level of frustration will rise to a new high. Your every thought will involve these feindish finned foes. Your budget will be at constant odds with your new "gotta have its'". Your family may attempt to lure you away...be strong,you can resist family. Best advice...total commitment or...RUN LIKE HELL THE OTHER DIRECTION!!!
Enjoy the moment. :)

Wow, no one told that to me when I started!!! Thanks all. Now that I'm stuck here's my advise. Cast...a lot...on all types of water till you learn where you or others catch them most. Find the method you prefer to fish, be it float, drift, fly and try to learn one style first then branch out. May save some money and frusturation. Talk to others on the river. Pick a home water and learn a few spots well. Sadly watch your time for everything else dwindle :D. And then make your own rules. We all can help, but almost each person has their own little 'style' that makes it all unique. Most important.....don't ever give up. Those fish are there, and they aren't really all that difficult to catch once you pass the learning curve. Remember also, you can be the perfect fisherperson, but if the fish aren't in the water you are fishing you won't catch any, ever. Water temp, structure (learn the run) and flow are 3 big factors in chasing these fish.