New to salmon fishing. Need the when/where/why

M

micaheli

Hello folks. Post number 1!

I've been fishing almost my entire life. Just standard fishing mostly..Trout, Bass, standard stuff. As for larger stuff I've fished a little deep sea, but nothing exciting and super tasty like Salmon or Steelhead. This year I decided I'm going to take the leap. I got my tags and I've done some research on how to fish salmon. That much I get and I think I can handle. The part I've been having a hard time with is finding information (Both on this forum and the GoogleWebs) regarding to the when/where. The schedule of the runs, where they'll be approximately when. I'm not a boat guy predominantly and fish mostly from the bank.

Is there a pre-existing guide somewhere that I can get a good idiots guide to this information? Maybe somebody can just give me a heads up? I saw the news about the extension through the 15th so I was thinking about heading out this weekend.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

--Micah

18406ej

Micah, welcome to OFF! You don't say where you are from and whay bodies of water you like to fish, which will help those that want to send you info a better idea of where to start. I don't know much about salmon so I am of little help, but I wish you good luck this weekend,

EJ

W

wozniasm

Welcome to OFF Micah! Thid forum is more than happy to help you out. As 18406ej indicated, you need to let folks know where you are or where you want to fish and then help will be available. This is a great bunch of Guys and Gals and have helped me out a lot.

M

metalfisher76

Good to have ya!
Yeah it would help to know where yo are. But the springer run did open back up fer a stint and is primarily a plunking show fer the bankies like us. Here is a vid 1 of our members posted for this type of feeshin YouTube - Plunking for Salmon and Steelhead
These fish will be in tribs like the Clack, Sandy and a lot of other water in the next few weeks. You still have a shot @ winter steel as well with broodstock fish showing purty good (higher up tribs!) as I type. Have fun man! If ya got any more specific ?`s, PM a fella.

M

micaheli

Whoops. I suppose I should have listed where I am located. Seems obvious now, but here goes.

I'm in Sherwood - so really anything between Portland and Salem would be fair game. Coastal is a bit of a stretch for this weekend, but not out of the realm of possibility for others. As far as bodies I like to fish, I've just been fishing ponds and local lakes for trout really.. Nothing too exciting.

Thanks again for all of the help!

--Micah

O

Outdoor_Myers

I know of a couple bank spots south of dayton heading to salem but I never rly had that much luck, although this will be my first reel go with being fully equip to handle and seek salmon and steelhead unlike last year where i was trying to find them with my bass gear lol.

M

micaheli

So, any good starter areas? Clackamette park? Drive up the sandy somewhere? Clackamas? Suppose I'll just head out if I don't hear from anybody. Thanks!

--Micah

W

waco

If you want to get salmon it will be a little hard they are just comming, you should try to plunk the willamette start at the mouth of the clackamas all the way down!!! i saw a lot of people plunking in the willamette today while driving by the river

Last edited:
M

micaheli

Went plunking at the mouth of the clack at clackamette park. As close to the line of boats as I could get without being "that guy". I did get one small hit, but it didn't amount to anything. Out of everybody fishing there, I only saw one other person have anything "on" but I saw no fish actually landed. Guess I'll keep trying the spots suggested.

Thanks for your help everybody! Can't wait to post my first Salmon catch pic!

--Micah

S

Swamp Puppy

Hey there! a lot of good info on the forums, but i would also recommend getting the book "Fishing Oregon". It is a large atlas style book and gives you run timings and specifics for individual rivers and fishing techniques etc. not only is it good for getting started, but really helpful if you just wanted to go someplace and see what is what for fishing while you are in a particular area.

good luck!

M

micaheli

Thanks for your help everybody! Going to try my luck again this weekend!

C

chrisohm

Banned User
You can try the mouth of the Clackamas but the best spot is usually taken right in that back eddy at Meldrum, shoulder to shoulder style fishing. You would be better off plunking at Clackamette park along the other bank all the way to the bridge. High rocks is nice with access on both sides of the river for plunking or drifting. Riverside is decent with plunking/drifting, tons of bank access too. Carver has some ok bank access and a really nice seam...Barton is a good drift from the bank and by the bridge all the way down stream, when the water drops it gets better. I have not exposed myself to the wonders of Eagle Creek but that is a sad little winter run. The summer steelhead are reared at McIver park so that would be a good spot to start, then back track down stream...