New to Oregon, looking for fishing partners

OREGON FISHING FORUM

Hydrocephalic

Hey OFF!

I'm a warm water fisherman from San Diego looking to explore all of the opportunities we have up here. I have a decent variety of gear and basic knowledge of how to catch species native to the NW. My only river/Creek fishing experience is for small trout in the mountains and a lot of swimbait largemouth fishing in reservoirs, plus some river smallie fishing. More offshore experience than I can afford, but that isn't as practical inland. I generally prefer getting skunked hunting trophy fish to loading up on dinky fish.

Not looking for spots, I've scoped plenty on Google earth and have been reading for weeks.

I live in Beaverton and am willing to drive hours for a decent bite, especially if it's not crowded. I'm a knowledgeable guy who is up to hike and discover new holes. PM or reply here if you're ever interested in tagging along or having someone join you for an adventure.

Glad to be a part of such a knowledgeable community, hope to stick fish with some of you soon.

troutdude

Welcome to OFF; and to our great state. If you wanna chase a potential smallie record; head out to Henry Hagg Lake. Use the search feature on here, to learn more about it.

Kai One

So after moving from SD to SW Portland a couple months ago and trying to get a feel for the fishing scene I finally landed on this forum. Been creeping for a while trying to do my research so I don't ask all the same questions I'm sure teniored members on this board are tired of answering. I was laughing when I read your post cause was pretty much my same story and fishing background so no need to explain my history other than grew up fishing buckets, then spent the last 14 years in SD trying to conquer every species I could, from surf perch to thresher sharks and everything in between. Actually just did some scouting out at Hagg a couple days ago, def looks like some solid fishing, but man the water level seemed low. The transition is funny cause in SD and especially the bay fishing it was all about the tides and movement, but up here the stream and river fishing seems to rely on the water levels dropping after a rain? Excited to get in an learn a whole new ecosystem and dial it in for sure, seems like you're in the same area so hit me up if you wanna try and figure some of these spots out

Troutski

Kai if you find yourself in the Springfield/Eugene area shoot me a PM and I can give you some places close by to wet a line...
Tight lines...

Chuck

Kai One

Thanks for the warm welcome! Life caught up with me for a bit after saying hi to you guys, but I'm finally getting some time and got all my fishing licenses for the year so I'm ready to wet a line and start checking some of these Oregon species off my list! Anyone in the SW Portland/beaverton area that wants some company when they hit some local spots let me know, I'm excited to finally get out and start learning the ebb and flow of fishing these rivers and lakes up here and what to look for in areas. Half the fun of fishing to me is getting out and exploring areas and learning the land. I have a kayak if that helps get access to spots and am always happy to pay for gas for anyone willing to take me out on their boat. If there is any reading material or sites I can read to learn about fishing in Oregon that you guys recommend please let me know, I try and be a student of whatever hobby/sport/interest I am into, so I really want to educate myself as much as possible. Obviously I've googled fishing Oregon and all the other ways to search for info, just curious if there were some things I may not find or should focus my reading on. Thanks a bunch in advance!

troutdude

Welcome back.

Get yourself a copy of: "Fishing in Oregon", by Maddy Diness. Flying Pencil Publications, in Scappoose. She released the 11th, and newest, edition in '13.

If you're into spinner fishing: "Spinner Fishing for Steelhead, Salmon, and Trout", by Jed Davis. Frank Amato Publications, Portland. The 1st & 2nd editions have a cool color plate/pics of his lure designs. But you'd have to go online, or hit Powell's Books (or other used bookstores) to find those earlier releases. I believe the 3rd edition, is current. But as I recall, it does not have those color pics.

Also, "Spoon Fishing for Steelhead", by Bill Herzog. Frank Amato Publications. I have an edition, from '93. Not sure if there, are any others.

Good luck, and tight lines. We look forward, to your reports!

Kai One

Thanks TD! That's def a few resources to get me going, Hoping to get out soon, so I'll def be reporting in how it goes! Thanks again for the warm welcome

Hooked Up

troutdude;n601947 said:
Welcome back.
"Fishing in Oregon", by Maddy Diness.
"Spinner Fishing for Steelhead, Salmon, and Trout", by Jed Davis.
"Spoon Fishing for Steelhead", by Bill Herzog.
I've got all three. Great info.

Willerman

I really like some of the Youtube channels that are specific to our area. Fishing addicts NW and Anglers West TV are some of my favorites.
http://www.steelheadstalkers.com/ has some good informative videos if you are looking to get bitten by the bug that is, steelhead fishing.

DrTheopolis

If you join the Association Of Northwest Steelheaders, you'll make all the fishing buddies you can handle, and they'll show you the ropes. You don't have to be a member to attend meetings, either. Find your nearest chapter, and check them out.

troutdude

DrTheopolis;n601987 said:
If you join the Association Of Northwest Steelheaders, you'll make all the fishing buddies you can handle, and they'll show you the ropes. You don't have to be a member to attend meetings, either. Find your nearest chapter, and check them out.
If we were still giving out rep points; I'd pass some on to ya. Great idea!

chris_the_wrench

I'm another very recent SD(Carlsbad) transplant to Oregon(Eugene'ish area), and now I'm trying to figure out this freshwater business(where's the yellowtail??) I went hiking around the Kirk ponds(north of fern ridge) today and all I could find was shallow weed beds and carp. I'm going to try and make it to that Eugene area stealhead meeting next month and I ordered a couple of those mentioned books. Any suggestions for areas around Elmira/Veneta? Does the long tom river north of fern ridge have a stealhead population?

Thanks
-Chris

Willerman

chris_the_wrench;n601991 said:
I'm another very recent SD(Carlsbad) transplant to Oregon(Eugene'ish area), and now I'm trying to figure out this freshwater business(where's the yellowtail??) I went hiking around the Kirk ponds(north of fern ridge) today and all I could find was shallow weed beds and carp. I'm going to try and make it to that Eugene area stealhead meeting next month and I ordered a couple of those mentioned books. Any suggestions for areas around Elmira/Veneta? Does the long tom river north of fern ridge have a stealhead population?

Thanks
-Chris
Welcome to Oregon! The McKenzie river will be your best friend, it is known for its summer run of steelhead. For winters you could head west and hit the coastal streams. I believe the Siuslaw is probably the closest, but I will let people that live down there chime in. There are also a lot of ponds and reservoirs around you that can be good trout and warm water fishing, if you are into that. You are in the south end of the Willamette Valley, so the Willamette and all of her tribs are good fishing as well; The Long Tom is a trib of the Willamette, but it is more of a warm water show. Here is a webpage with a little bit of info, with a good chart on the popular steelhead rivers in Oregon:
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/lice...lyer_Final.pdf

troutdude

Welcome Mr. Wrench. There are no steelies, in the Long Tom. The upper part--above the dam--is a trout show (cutts and bows). Below the dam, it's cutts, cats, carp, smallies, bucketmouths, crappie up the wazoo, bluegill etc. In short, the entire stream would have to be just like the upper stretchs (faster, clearer, and colder); for it to support steelhead.

DrTheopolis

chris_the_wrench;n601991 said:
(where's the yellowtail??)
A couple hundred feet below the albacore. But that's a pretty major outing.

In winter/early spring the Upper Valley (where you are) is pretty sparse for steelhead. The rivers to your west on the coast are full of them. Once late spring/summer comes, some of your local and short-drive streams get loaded with steelhead and chinook.

Have fun exploring. Once the snow melts, the drive up the McKenzie is about as breathtaking as any you'll find. I don't fish there much/ever (I like my northern options better), but just a spectacular area.

Top Bottom