New to OR, no boat, on a budget!

T
TerraDelu
First off, this site is great and it seems that you guys have a great community here and I'm looking forward to contributing one day!

My wife and I recently moved here (we are right near Washington Square mall) from the Midwest, where we only fished small lakes for bass, pike, and catfish. We are DYING to get fishin' here, but it is pretty intimidating to get started out here. So we turn to you fellow anglers!

Currently, we are looking to keep things simple with some bass fishing. We don't have a boat, and we are on a tight budget right now, so renting a boat isn't much of an option at the moment. We would love somewhere that has ample shoreline fishing, preferably with keepers (though we aren't too picky about that) and while we are more than willing to drive a few hours (this state is so beautiful that driving isn't the chore it was in the Midwest), it would be great to have a fishing hole that we could pop over to after work! :) I did some digging online and found that Commonwealth and Progress lakes are nearby, but I haven't been able to find any info on how the fishing is or how to fish them. Any help would be much appreciated!

P.S. I saw that Progress Lake is stocked with trout. Any advice you guys could provide about that would be great too! We've never been trout fishing!

K
Kage
Welcome to Oregon and welcome to the forum! First and foremost I would suggest getting your licenses. As recent residents though I'm not quite sure how the process will work for you. Pick up a copy of the fishing regulations and learn the rules for the waters you'll be fishing. The forum has a lot of great info and active members with years of knowledge to share. Use the search function and you'll start on one subject and end on another. I'm constantly researching from the forum, you'll learn a lot here and again welcome!

F
fish4life
I would check out Henry Hagg lake there is (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) smallmouth and largemouth bass, bluegill, crappie, perch, brown bullhead catfish and is also stocked with trout. There is plenty of shoreline to fish and I do believe they have boat rentals also. There is a small day use fee, but if u like it I think they have an annual permit. There should be many threads on off about Henry Hagg lake I would check those out but also you could google it to find out more info.

K
kingfish
Welcome and remember bimart is your friend

C
COUNTRYBOY83
New Oregonian here too in the Willamette valley from CA. Caught our first steelhead a couple of weeks ago. Cooked hers up and smoked mine. Worth all the hours we put in. Bi Mart is awesome. Study the regs and the forum. The regs are tricky so be careful. Go somewhere and make sure there are locals there. Camp for a few days if you can. Have some basic tackle and tell them you don't know what your doing (we had no clue) and they will make sure your successful. Everyone is extremely nice and helpful here and I have made a couple friends in the process. Good luck!!!!

S
sapo
Or make sure there aren't locals there...sometimes down at those coastal rivers having no locals is definitely a benefit lol.

You could try henry hagg for bass, pretty much all baits work. For a quick 5-minute trip, summer lake is near you and it's not great and you can only fish a really tiny stretch of bank but I've caught some big largemouth in there with topwater baits and some big flies

P
pinstriper
Kage said:
Welcome to Oregon and welcome to the forum! First and foremost I would suggest getting your licenses. As recent residents though I'm not quite sure how the process will work for you. Pick up a copy of the fishing regulations and learn the rules for the waters you'll be fishing. The forum has a lot of great info and active members with years of knowledge to share. Use the search function and you'll start on one subject and end on another. I'm constantly researching from the forum, you'll learn a lot here and again welcome!

As soon as you have an ODL, you are a resident. There may be other ways.

Figuring out which state gets your taxes as a resident depends on which you lived in longer during the year, as I recall (it may have changed in the last 20 years).

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF (and kudo's for working our moniker into your first thread!).

According to page 3, of our 2015 reg book, you have to a resident for 6 consecutive months--before you can obtain a "Resident" angling license. A resident license, is $42.75 with Columbia River Basin Endorsement. For now, you can obtain a "Non Resident" license. Hopefully the cost--$116.00 per person, with Columbia endorsment--wont' keep you at bay.

Get yourself a copy of "Fishing in Oregon", or "Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon". Either book, will get you up to speed quickly.

In addition to searching our own archives; take a look at the website Best Fishing in Oregon.

http://www.bestfishinginamerica.com/Oregon.html#.VUeBEvlVhHw

Also...take a look at the site of the Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife (ODFW). Tons of good information their too. Here is one example:

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/where_how/50_in_60_portland.asp

Good luck and tight lines!

bass
bass
I would recommend the Willamette right now. If you look on google maps you will see a lot of parks that have rocky shores. They are all good for smallmouth. When it opens in a couple of weeks the Tualatin river is a good place to fish for bass and rough fish. Most of the parks along the river have some shore access. It is very snaggy though so don't bring expensive tackle.

A nice place to fish where it dumps into the Willamette in West Linn.

Good luck!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Welcome to Oregon, and welcome to the forum!

P
pinstriper
troutdude said:
According to page 3, of our 2015 reg book, you have to a resident for 6 consecutive months--before you can obtain a "Resident" angling license. A resident license, is $42.75 with Columbia River Basin Endorsement. For now, you can obtain a "Non Resident" license.
Good luck and tight lines!

Well, this is where my brilliant assertion falls to the ground.

I wonder if just providing the ODL at the time of license purchase, whether they'd catch it and gig you at the non-resident rate. Defensive dishonesty, sort of.

S
sleepyogre
yeah that 6 month thing is a pain. I am also newish to the Oregon fishing scene. I live in the Damascus/Happy Valley area. Feel free to drop me a PM. Also Estacada opens the 23rd for trout. I took my son there last summer and he landed his first trout. I don't know who was more scared, him or the fish.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
pinstriper said:
Well, this is where my brilliant assertion falls to the ground.

I wonder if just providing the ODL at the time of license purchase, whether they'd catch it and gig you at the non-resident rate. Defensive dishonesty, sort of.

some things that I would suggest considering:

-resident license has the following declaration that you must complete and sign:

"I, the undersigned, hereby certify and declare that the information provided to obtain this license/tag is true. To acquire an Oregon resident license/tag I certify that I have resided continuously within Oregon no less than six months immediately prior to applying for this license/tag. I have resided in Oregon for ___ Years ___Months. I acknowledge this license was issued as requested and understand that no refund will be made."

this puts the burden on the purchaser to meet the requirements, the vendor is OFF the hook, they sell you what you request. the Trooper checking you would be the one writing you the big ticket.

-many people get their ODL right away as part of establishing residency, so if the issue date for the CDL is less than 6 months before buying a resident fishing license, that could look a little fishy...

-State Income Tax Return- buying a resident fishing license and signing the declaration as living here for at least 6 months, if that pushes your arrival back into the previous calendar year, you would want to make sure that you filed an OR state income tax return for that previous year, or at least have thought up a really explanation for why you were not required to file a tax return for that previous year that you have claimed to be a part-year resident...ouch.

cheers, roger

troutdude
troutdude
^^^ Yes that! :thumb:

C
coyo7e
Still not sure where the OP moved to in OR, so it might take that 6 months to give decent advice.

B
BaldTexan
I bent over and took it in the rear last year when I moved here as I knew I would be fishing frequently before I reached the 6 month mark. I didn't even get a kiss!...but I did get to fish a lot of great places and catch a lot of "first time" to me species of fish plus enjoy exploring the state from Crater Lake to the Gorge. Pay the exorbitant fee or wait until you been here six months. Well worth the price of early admission to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D
DrTheopolis
coyo7e said:
Still not sure where the OP moved to in OR, so it might take that 6 months to give decent advice.

"Near Washington Square Mall." It's pretty much on the border of Beaverton and Tigard.

C
coyo7e
Ahh thanks. I haven't been to a mall in years, and have certainly never used them as landmarks. ;)

F
Fishing Ham
Well,
You have to explain guys like me who own two homes, one in Oregon and one out of state. I qualify for resident license under the 6 month rule but don't have a ODL or file taxes in Oregon. It states you have to reside in Oregon for six months continuously which I did. I keep a copy of my paid property taxes with my fishing license to prove I'm ligit.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Fishing Ham said:
Well,
You have to explain guys like me who own two homes, one in Oregon and one out of state. I qualify for resident license under the 6 month rule but don't have a ODL or file taxes in Oregon. It states you have to reside in Oregon for six months continuously which I did. I keep a copy of my paid property taxes with my fishing license to prove I'm ligit.

I think much of the confusion is that they use the word "resided" in the statement "resided in Oregon for at least 6 consecutive months immediately prior". Many people think this means that you were physically in Oregon for those six months. But that is not clear.

one definition of "Reside" is "have one's permanent home in a particular place.", so in this case, regs are saying is that you must have established a permanent home in Oregon and 6 months after that, you are considered to have "resided in OR for 6 consecutive months". definitely a resident for tax purposes under this interpretation.

another definition of "Reside" is "to exist or be present". in this case, you could make your permanent residence outside OR but by being here for 6 months continuously, you qualify for resident license but are a non-resident for tax purposes ("You are a nonresident if your permanent home is outside Oregon all year."). so what about taxes under this interpretation?

"Oregon taxes nonresidents on Oregon source income" which means "Oregon income includes income shown on your federal return for services performed in Oregon" but also:
The following are considered other income from Oregon sources:
• Businesses, partnerships, limited liability companies taxed as partnerships, and S corporations located or doing business in Oregon—income losses).
• Unemployment compensation received because of an Oregon job.
• Severance pay received because of an Oregon job.
• Oregon farm income (losses).
• Oregon estate and trust income (losses).
• Oregon State Lottery winnings.
• Sale of Oregon property income (losses).
• Rents and royalties for use of Oregon property

so be aware, fish with care!
cheers, roger