New To OFF, looking for some advice

D
DrTheopolis
Hello, OFFers. Figured I'd lurked long enough (not that long, really), and it was time to register. I love reading the reports and advice here, and look forward to giving some reports of my own, and will gladly OFFer advice on any fisheries I'm familiar with.

Anyhow, this weekend, my best fishing buddy is having a birthday party for his son (7) up by Mt. Hood. The masses (family and friends) are clearing out midday Sunday, and me, him, and the boy are staying an extra night. Might go out Sunday evening, but definitely will go early Monday. We'll be equiped with a driftboat with an electric trolling motor (80#er, so plenty of power).

My question for you fine folk, is where will be our best opportunity within a reasonable drive (towing the boat) of the Rhododendron/Government Camp area?

Most of the lakes in the area are closed to motors. We're familiar with Clear Lake, but usually hit it earlier, before the water warms and drops.

Is Timothy any good these days? Will we be swarmed by splash-and-giggles?

Harriet?

Suggestions?

B
Big3d
I have no idea, but welcome to OFF hopefully someone will help out!

D
DrTheopolis
Thank you.

O
OnTheFly
Timothy will be your best bet and it's big enough to escape the clutter. I have only trolled the west shore and the coves around Meditation Point but I have done well there. You might want to take a peek at Clear Lake too. I have never fished it this late in the season and I hear it gets drawn down severely. If it's still boatable you will have very few people around and you will catch fish. Good luck!:)

D
DrTheopolis
Thanks for the advice, OnTheFly. Clear is the only lake up there we've fished, but it's always been the annual Mancamp, usually early June, when it's still freshly stocked and still cold there. Pullked some nice brooders there. I believe that's where the birthday party splash-and-giggle will be, so we'll see if it's drawn down, which I've heard is an issue there. It's certainly the closest option. But then again, our little boy fishing companion likes to go new places, so maybe Timothy it is.

Any thoughts on Harriet? Looking at the stocking schedule, it seems like it gets the most fish-per-acre, and has been stocked with the trophies, but I'm unfamiliar with it.

O
OnTheFly
Harriet is always fishable for mostly stocker trout and the larger ones they throw in there as well. You catch more browns earlier in the season. The fishing can be a little frustrating this time of year though. Also, it's a small narrow lake so larger boats don't fit so well.

T
troutmasta
If you do go to harriet head down to the dam area in your boat and drop powerbait down to the bottom, Ive had good late season success. Timothy would be great like OTF said, its massive and has a wide variety of species.
Tight Lines-

D
DrTheopolis
Sounds like Timothy is the ticket.

Thank you.

Irishrover
Irishrover
OTF is right on with the Timmothy Lake advise. I like fishing the narrows and into the shallow water at the north end. There are also a couple of nice coves up at that end that are worth fishing. Worms, powerbait, spinners, they all work if the fish are around.