New to NW at Depoe Bay end of June - little help?

N
NeboCreek
Hi Folks. I've been browsing through OFF for a few days now. It looks like you have a great community of helpful and friendly fishermen/women here so I decided to join.

I've fished freshwater all of my life and spent many days surf and boat fishing around Cabo San Lucas but I've never fished in the Northwest. I'll be in Depoe Bay June 22-30 and want to do a bunch of fishing but have no idea where to start.

I'll be bringing an 8.5 ' surf setup. What else should I bring? I'm open to anything but especially saltwater since I'm inland and fishing trout most of the time.

Any good spots near Depoe Bay? I've also thought about getting a Crab Hawk. What about charters? Budget is kind of tight but I may be able to afford a boat on day. Sorry if I'm kind of all over the place...Just excited and not sure where to begin.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. :D

B
BlackBass
There is plenty of places to fish the ocean in Depoe bay. You can start by googling government point. Rocky Creek. Take a look at the satelite maps that will help you allot. You will need lead in the 2 3 4 oz sizes and some size 2/0 hooks for bait. If your looking to catch some bass use 1 - 1 1/2 oz lead jig heads with plastics of your choice. PM me if you want more information.

T
The Nothing
SLC, eh? I spent some time in Odgen...

Anways. Fishing IN Depoe Bay is kinda tough, but it can be done. You can get under the bridge and onto the rocks on the south end of the bridge (you'll understand this when you get there). If the swell is low (under 6') I'd get out into the bay area and fish the kelp beds. Some jigs with 5-6" swimbaits or 2' irons should find you some fish. Be ready to lose gear though.

If you can come up with the scratch, I'd definitely suggest taking a charter. Tradewinds operates out of Depoe Bay with some reasonable pricing and awesome fishing. That specific charter out of Depoe is one of the best on all of the Oregon Coast, IMO.

Sorry I'll just be missing you though! I have a kayak fishing tournament (Oregon Rockfish Classic) the weekend before!

Don't waste your money on a crab snare unless you plan on finding yourself in Newport. Then you MIGHT be able to snag some from the jetty or crab pier.

Just north, as mentioned, is Government Point. You've gotta crawl under a fence and down some rocks, but people say there are fish to be had there. I only lost gear. I did see a couple divers in that area before, though, and they crawled out of the rocks there at GP with a limit of lings and rocks each!

N
NeboCreek
Great Info...

Great Info...

Thanks for the replies. Those help a lot. Sounds like a charter might be a good idea...I'll skip the crab trap and save for a day on a boat instead. I'll spend a day checking out the points too. Anyplace around to catch salmon? Anything else I shouldn't miss while there? BlackBass, do you have a favorite plastic? Do you use any scent or attractant?

M
michigan_transplant
went out to Depoe Bay with relatives that wanted to get into some fish. we went to some trout lakes but also took a charter. got all these in an hour and a half (50 fish and 25 crabs). It was pretty nuts. pulling them up two at a time non stop. freezer is definitely full.

Last edited by a moderator:
B
BlackBass
Very nice laundry baskets with fish n crab :) I went to boiler bay an hour ago with the better half. Got a limit of blacks in ten casts doesn't always happen that way but sure is fun when it does. Was alittle windy so we decided twenty minutes was good enough for her .

N
NeboCreek
Wow! Awesome. I'm getting excited to head up there.

B
bigdog
michigan_transplant said:
went out to Depoe Bay with relatives that wanted to get into some fish. we went to some trout lakes but also took a charter. got all these in an hour and a half (50 fish and 25 crabs). It was pretty nuts. pulling them up two at a time non stop. freezer is definitely full.

That looks like it was one fun day there. I might have to go down there some time and check it out.

CJ

N
NeboCreek
Is there a good tackle store in or near Depoe Bay? Or should I try to order some stuff before I go?

Nothing, when you say "irons", you mean like Iron Man and Salas type lures? Also, anybody have any favorite swim baits?

B
BlackBass
Good baits to use would be jigs with plastics. You can use all kinds of plastics not just swim baits. Think bass Tackle when targeting them. I use 1.5 oz lead fish jigs. I tie a polomar knot two feet above my lead and tip it with a 2 inch white grub. Get them two at a time very often. Tackle options are limited in Depoe bay but you can find what you need there. Two gas stations at each end of town have jigs lead and terminal tackle.

B
brandon
Rockfish on! :cool: