New to me system

D
dozer365
*Got an invite from a buddy to fish a new (to me) system yesterday, and boy am I glad to have taken him up on it.*
** We ended up hiking all over and enjoying a beautiful day of fishing. First spot we hit had 4 cars already by 7 am. We stopped anyway, and made a hike *and a half. Down about a 1/4 mile below the rest of the bankies we got into our first fish. Scrappy little buck that went up river on my buddy. And did a complete circle around hi
*While he stood mid river and held his rod high. I ended up crossing and helping make the tail in a foot of fast moving water. That was a feat in itself. *While he fought that fish I saw 2 other fish spook out of the same hole. We fished a bit longer and pushed down. Next slot me buddy hooked and lost a fish very briefly. And two cast later fish on. Nice acrobatic performance and a few hard runs. Thought it was bigger then it was. I ended up holding the rod while he tailed his second fish.... nice little buck with shoulders. Hope it contributes to the gene pool. Nice fighter and biter. Good candidate for broodstock program.*
** Now the frustrating thing is my buddy has been batting clean up. Following me down the river and picking up fish I'd been missing. Little ego bruised but not bad at this point haha.*
**We fished down and I spooked two fish out of a small trench I didn't see cuz I was looking across river at an approach to a down log and walked out to look. Saw the fish cut down. Thought I'd pick one up but not to be. I'll have to revisit that section now that I figured out some of the troughs and channels.*
**About 1 1/2 miles into our hike we came across a nice little falls and we KNEW there would be fish sitting under. I covered it with a pink worm and my buddy bobber dogged it with eggs. Guess who hooked up? Yeah not me. Haha. He really was starting to put in a clinic. As I was taking yet more pictures I said " dang, didn't know I was gonna be a personal photographer today". After a very short fight he handed me the rod and I banked his fish so we could both keep fishing.*
**As we finished up in the bowl below the falls a couple pontoon boats and rafts came down. They did a very good job of low holing the next 3 slots and playing leap frog with their boats. They seemed very displeased to see us in that remote of area. Maybe the were fish purist who couldn't stand the sight of our bloody hatchery brats. Or maybe cuz we where running spinning rods with bobbers and jigs and they were running fly rods with "strike indicators/bobbers" with weighted streamers. Maybe they hadn't touched a fish. Don't know.... Just knew we weren't gonna follow that mess of boats down the river any farther.*
** We hiked out and drove to a new spot. Walked in and found a nice little ledge. Now this looked more like it. Haha. Just being sarcastic. All the water was beautiful that day, I just hadn't hooked up yet to that point.
** I switched to a bright pink and purple small profile jig. *And ran in very tight to the shelf. Bobber tipped and I tugged lightly to keep it moving and didn't move. Wait a minute, that's not a branch or a rock... Fish on finally!!! After a nice couple runs we tailed another hatchery brat.
** With a long day behind us, a lot of hiking done, and one of soaking wet (not me) and one of is tagged out. *It was time to retire.*
**We had an awesome day and I'm very grateful for this experience and this day. I went 1-1. My buddy went 3-5. One on eggs, one on a jig, and 4 hook ups on a secret method my buddy is using.*
**Get out and cover water. There are fish around.*

Last edited:
Reactions: Irishrover
D
dozer365
carnage

Reactions: billfisher
B
billfisher
Awesome day, and nice report and pictures! That's what its all about! Some good looking water there.

E
eugene1
Sounds and looks like an epic day! Sorry to hear about the rude fly fishermen j/k.

Best,

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Dang! You had a seriously GOOD day! :D Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

Irishrover
Irishrover
Great post and pictures too. Glad you were able to get off the beaten path.

B
bran_man
Nice looking cookies!