New (to me) cataraft photos.

M

Modest_Man

So the cat is 12' long, tubes are 19" in diameter. Frame is 9' 6" long. Tubes are dual chambered with a second layer bottom. Next on the agenda is to remove the second set of oar locks (no idea why you'd have two on a 12 cat) and adjust the remaining set and seats.

Then I need to get some storage, a cooler, and a couple life vests. Then hit the water.

The cataraft was made by Jack's plastic welding and is a custom version of the Cutthroat.

The frame-
DSC_0001.jpg

Motor mount which has already been removed
DSC_0003-1.jpg

Oar locks folded in for travel
DSC_0008.jpg

Ready for use
DSC_0009.jpg

Interesting pump. Gets the job done I guess.
DSC_0007.jpg

Assembled
DSC_0014-1.jpg

Water was a little rough
DSC_0016.jpg

The oars/paddles setup. They can be converted to hand paddles, a large kayak type paddle, or oars. I plan on keeping them oars unless I hit up some VERY small water.
DSC_0004.jpg

Paddle
DSC_0011.jpg

9'+ "kayak" paddle
DSC_0012-1.jpg

And the oars
DSC_0013-1.jpg

Last edited:
M

Modest_Man

Let's just say enough under 1k that I can afford a couple nice life vests.

I bought it off an nice old guy (in his 70's) that had it custom made in 2008. Took it on the Rogue once and flipped it with the wife on it. She didn't want anything to do with it so it's sat for two years in their garage. I found the Craigslist ad an hour after he posted it and called dibs.

Looking at the Jacks Plastic Welding website the standard Cutthroat runs about 2k. This one being custom it has a bunch more stuff (motor mount, second set of oar locks, 19" tubes vs 16" tubes, blunt nosed tubes, dual chambered, second layer on the bottom), and came with the oars and pump which would be a few hundred more I figure.

Last edited:
T

Throbbit _Shane

Looks like a found a hell of a deal! Let me know if it ever makes a return to the Rogue. Did he mention what section he flipped it on?

Now your gonna be slaying the fishes in no time! :D

M

Modest_Man

No idea what section. He said they made it through all the actual technical rapids and flipped it near the end of the float just dinking around not paying attention.

N

Noahk

Looks great man, so where you fishing that thing this weekend? Can you get it in your subie?

S

SantiamDrifter

I've never rowed one, but have seen lots. (the smaller kind) How wide is it? It looks a little skinny in the pics. Possible why it flipped on him! Like I said, I've never rowed one, just my DB. So I dont know how it would handle.

M

Modest_Man

The frame fits on top the Subie just fine, the pontoons fold down really small. Wasn't an issue with two people getting the frame on the roof rack, could be tricky with one. I need to go buy some nice PFD's before I take it out. Might make it up to REI and try some on tonight, not sure where else to go. I'll have it out in the next week for sure, just not certain if I can get it out this weekend.

It is a skinnier cataraft. The boat width is 46" I think, so it is pretty narrow. I like the size though, it should stay top up unless you manage to go over something sideways or mount gear up high, screwing up the center of gravity.

The great thing is if feel down the road that the frame isn't what I want I can make a custom frame for the pontoons from a site like NRS and re-use the pontoons.

C

capblack

nice boat, can it be set up for two people as well?

M

Modest_Man

So after removing the motor mount and the extra set of oar locks the weight of the frame is quite reasonable. I probably took off almost 10lbs of weight removing those, and the frame and pontoons only weighs around 65lbs to begin with so it was quite a lot.

It also drew first blood, took a good chunk out of a knuckle when wrenching on it. So, it's been christined by human blood already.

F

fishingfreak

Well we need to get some fish blood on it! Looks good man! When are you going to get her wet?

M

Modest_Man

I need PFD's. Didn't get out tonight to look at some. Working a double tomorrow...maybe I can get some Saturday before work. So...SOON. But not sure when.

T

Troutier Bassier

Fighting fish on that thing would be epic!!! Can you imagine hooking a fat snow bellied fall chinook while sidedrifting for steelhead in that thing? epic!

M

Modest_Man

Fighting fish on that thing would be epic!!! Can you imagine hooking a fat snow bellied fall chinook while sidedrifting for steelhead in that thing? epic!

Already on the to-do list. Along with some class III and IV rapids!

C

capblack

i wonder why it is built so skinny? maybe theres a reason, oh well like you said it could always be modified. it might just look skinny because its so long. definitely want to WEAR your pfds in that one. looks like itll be a blast. are you gonna use it this winter, or wait for spring?

M

Modest_Man

I'm taking it out as soon as I get a PFD...

From the manufacturer's website-

The Cutthroat 1 is the little sports car of rowing catarafts. It is small enough to slip down some very tiny rivers, and it is big enough to be able to handle big water (if your skills are up to it). The frame includes a mesh seat and two mesh floors. If you want to take an extra person with you, simply purchase an extra seat. If you want to use it like a canoe remove the oar stands from the frame, and paddle with canoe paddles, or use a kayak paddle. The frame makes for easy loading and tie down of gear. Even with a huge gear load, this boat remains extremely maneuverable. They are perfect for trips where you want to take your own boat and are self supported. Why mess with a ducky, when you can have a truly maneuverable surfing, fishing, and cargo machine.

R

RunWithSasquatch

Ive got few of 'Jacks' Paco pads, and they're the way to go... makes good products.

M

Modest_Man

PFD's are a check. Next Adventure is a pretty cool store up in Portland by OMSI.

I have Monday off, I'm going to take it out in the Silverton Res for a couple hours and adjust the oar locks and seating.

So where do people get the Velcro straps so I can strap my fishing poles to the frame?

Last edited:
Top Bottom