New to Hermiston, please help!

C
CheeZeMooSe
I'm new to Hermiston and have heard there is great fishing around, I just don't know where. I fish for pretty much anything that swims. I prefer to bass fish or trout fish. Spinning rods or fly fishing. I have no boat or raft so bank fishing areas would be awesome.

Any recommendations are much appreciated.

T
the_intimidator03
Welcome to the forum, I used to live in that area, Boardman to be exact, for 9 years. During that time I mainly fished the boardman marina and did quite well for smallmouth bass, bluegill, perch. For trout in that area I never did get into much except they do stock tatone pond west of Boardman off I-84, You can also fish the McNary Ponds just below the dam and also fish above the dam at the boat ramp. There is also fishing around 3 mile canyon for cats but it has not been productive for me. Any more questions and we will be glad to help

C
CheeZeMooSe
What do you throw out for the smallmouths? Cranks, the old fashion earthworm? Also I was curious if you've ever fished the Umatilla River? Some of my students have told me there are some decent smallmouths in it.

J
joesnuffy
I dont know about small mouths but the Umatilla has spring and fall salmon and steelhead fishing..... I think the chinook run is in may but I'm not positive.

The Umitilla "should" have trout in it as well.

C
CheeZeMooSe
I was told trout was in it, but they are more up in the mountain branches of the Umatilla. The salmon and steelhead runs any good there?

J
joesnuffy
that makes sence with tthe trout.

The salmon and steelhead runs are not crazy like the costal rivers but it's still pretty good. you should find a local fishing shop and go ask some questions for the best information.

I've caught a few salmon out of the Umatilla.

S
strawberry shortcake
Just got back home from being skunked near the mouth of the Umatilla. Stopped at the little boat ramp next to the park in the town of Umatilla. There was one guy fishing for catfish at the boat ramp. I walked up to the footbridge and saw BIGUN'S jumping out of the murky water catching insects! All I brought were big sinkers, jigs, roe, and other lures for bottom fishing and all these live fish were up on top! One of them closer to the bank was a big golden carp and the rest were steelhead. The jumping even drew a little crowd to watch me get skunked!

S
strawberry shortcake
So now that it is steelhead 1 (yeh, I know, that number is much bigger but it's my story), Shortcake 0, my guess is that the steelhead have emailed the spring Chinook regarding their successful lure evasion tactics at the mouth of the Umatilla. The season starts April 16th.

T
the_intimidator03
CheeZeMooSe said:
What do you throw out for the smallmouths? Cranks, the old fashion earthworm? Also I was curious if you've ever fished the Umatilla River? Some of my students have told me there are some decent smallmouths in it.
I have used earthworms dangling on the hook off a dock but for lures ive used smoke with red flake tube jigs along rocky shores. Also used Poppers and i personally enjoyed white/silver bodied double willow spinnerbaits fishing along the rocks. Those were my go to's for smallies, Btw i didn't use downsized "smallie" spinners, I used the bigguns

brandon4455
brandon4455
for the steelhead in that area try sandshrimp drift fished,under a bobber or tip a jig with one. idk why but the steelhead over that way love em.. atleast thats what ive heard

C
CheeZeMooSe
I appreciate all the help! Went for a walk on the nature trails by McNary Ponds and talked to a guy that said he pulled out a couple 4 pound largemouth bass along the bank in the big pond a few days ago. Could just be fish stories, but I think I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow. I'll let ya know how it goes. Probably still a bit early for bass, but worth a shot. I could always switch to going for the trout in there.

J
joesnuffy
Bass are hitting hard right now since they are getting ready to spawn.

C
CheeZeMooSe
Went to McNary Ponds last Sunday. Tried for bass couldn't get any. Tried for trout at the big pond along one of the parking penninsulas got nothing. Found a trail and walked in to one of the smaller ponds my fiance caught a 12 inch trout in about 30 minutes of being at that smaller pond. Not to bad, but at the same time felt like I should be doing better. Where are the bass hitting hard?

F
flyguy
Hey CheeZeMooSe, I live in Umatilla (moved here recently from southern Oregon). My fiance and I are always out fishing and camping and exploring all over the area.
We are headed up to Anthony Lakes near Baker City this weekend to camp and fly fish.
Last weekend we were up on the Tucannon River in southern Washington, the Grande Ronde near Troy, and Jubilee Lake.
The weekend before I was down on the Deschutes chasing steelies.
Let me know if you're still looking for good places to fish...maybe I can point you in the right direction.

I own an online fly fishing shop and I try to spend all my free time testing my products! :)

L
Lothar Of The Hill People
Try sand shrimp and a salmon egg 3 ft below a bobber at a hole at Hat Rock. If you head out HWY 730 and take the Hat Rock State Park exit, follow the road until it branches to the right. Continue until you see Beach Shore Drive, take a right, continue until you see D Street take a left, continue until you see River View Drive take a left, continue till you see a gravel drive towards the river that has a parking area on the right at the end of the driveway (a house will be on the left). Park there and fish the river there.

E
elliotthorseshoeart@gmail
How is the fishing in Boardman Marina right now ? Where's a good spot there and what should I use ? Any cat fishing there ?