New to fly tying

R
rainbowfisherman
I am new to fly tying and somewhat overwelmed at the cost of this hobby sometimes. I already have all the tools and some threads/hairs/ ect. what should i do now? are there any material kits you all prefer? or should i just select certain flys? During the spring summer and fall i will usually be fishing the santiam. Would it be best to just focuss on flys for that river? Thanks for the help everyone.

Thanks again
-Rainbowfisherman

H
halibuthitman
I would do what I did and start off tying wooly buggers, black ants and caddis flies... three very easy flies to tie.. not complicated and small material lists... and they will fish well on any trout stream.. once you have the fundementals down you can start tying some of the more complexed patterns.

F
FishFiddle
Yes, just concentrate on a few basic patterns. If you are fishing the santiam you must be close to Albany and I am quite sure the fly shop downtown is offering a beginners class starting soon. I am not sure of the price but I think it is one night a week for 6 wks. or so. I took a class quit a few years back at a community college and it was a blast!

R
rainbowfisherman
Im sorry i ment the north sasntiam. And thanks for the ideas. I've alreadu tied buggers, adams, parachute adams, and caddis

B
bigsteel
it can be expensive hobby but its very satisfying to catch a fish on your own fly:dance::dance::dance:i personally pick several patterns and tie five of each and you can see through each one your progress,,,,woolly bugger is the easiest and the most effective..

O
OnTheFly
You will need to get aquainted to the hatches that occure at the waters you fish. The flies you mentioned all work but some places may have a different hatch at different times so you need to observe the insects on every fishing trip and write it in your journal. Only from experience and multiple trips that I learned that I'll need flying ant on my next visit to Round Lake or callibeatis duns before noon at Clear Lake (Mt Hood) or damselfly nymph early July on Gold Lake. Keep tying your flies and practice up and once you learn the basics, move on to the ones that will produce at your favorite spots.:)

Irishrover
Irishrover
Tying doesn't have to be all that expensive. I'm a tight with a buck so I save where I can. I made a good hair stacker out of a 30-06 shell and piece of wood. My head cement is clear nail polish that I get at the dollar store. A functional vice can be had for $20. When I'm out if I see a good looking feather I scoop it up. I'm a wee bit overboard with this kind of thing so much so that my wife hides her feather pillows from me.:lol: I have made a few nice soft hackle flies from pillow feathers.

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
Irishrover said:
Tying doesn't have to be all that expensive. I'm a tight with a buck so I save where I can. I made a good hair stacker out of a 30-06 shell and piece of wood. My head cement is clear nail polish that I get at the dollar store. A functional vice can be had for $20. When I'm out if I see a good looking feather I scoop it up. I'm a wee bit overboard with this kind of thing so much so that my wife hides her feather pillows form me.:lol: I have made a few nice soft hackle flies from pillow feathers.

:lol::lol: my first hair stacker was a 223 casing.... and yes, still use the nail clear coat for head cement..:lol:

O
OnTheFly
You guys are funny...what then would you name those flies: Maybelline Mayfly or how about Goose Down Dun:lol:

H
halibuthitman
OnTheFly said:
You guys are funny...what then would you name those flies: Maybelline Mayfly or how about Goose Down Dun:lol:

Donna Karon special... and my favorite.... the macey white sale searcher.. with cactus flash chenille:lol:

H
halibuthitman
sheesh onthefly.. you can afford head cement? what... you one of those middle aged self employeed caucasion rich republicans..? :lol::lol::think:

O
OnTheFly
Ever palmer hackle with a false eyelash?

O
OnTheFly
halibuthitman said:
sheesh onthefly.. you can afford head cement? what... you one of those middle aged self employeed caucasion rich republicans..? :lol::lol::think:

Yeah......so what?

H
halibuthitman
OnTheFly said:
Ever palmer hackle with a false eyelash?

I think a certain kind of dancer said that to me once...:think: right before she stole my wallet...:lol: (high-jack over)

Irishrover
Irishrover
One of my favorite flies is my revlon renagade!!! Beside every cent saved on a fly goes into my Jameson budget. I draw the line at two week old road kill. I did freak a niece of mine out once. I picked her up at the airport and forgot about the semi fresh road kill squirel in the bed of my pickup. When she went to put her suitecase in the bed of the truck, well she did let out a squeal!:lol:

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
Irishrover said:
One of my favorite flies is my revlon renagade!!! Beside every cent saved on a fly goes into my Jameson budget. I draw the line at two week old road kill. I did freak a niece of mine out once. I picked her up at the airport and forgot about the semi fresh road kill squirel in the bed of my pickup. When she went to put her suitecase in the bed of the truck, well she did let out a squeal!:lol:

I am experiencing gut wrenching laughter :lol: inhale :lol: inhale :lol:

S
steelhead_stalkers
I like the danvise for a great rotary vise. :)

G
gypotats
i agree and start simple,thats what i did but i would just concentrate on the flys you notice you really use a lot or your favorite ones. i noticed i have hundreds of flies but when i go out i only really use five or six that i like to use so the rest just cluter up my boxes and look pretty.

O
OnTheFly
Yes. Rotary vices are great. Material is acummulated gradually as your need to tie specific flies increase. Irishrover could buy a lot of Jamasons from the money I've spent on fur and feathers.:D But that 40 to 60 dollar Whiting grizzly cape will last you years and years. At nearly two bucks a fly, it's well worth buying material and tying your own. (even if you buy your materials at Macy's);)

Last edited: