New to carp fishing

B
Bassman_2000
I just recently caught about a 20lbs carp and am officially hooked. No pun intended. Can anybody give me any pointers and/or advice on fishing these monster's.

E
eugene1
Might want to give a little more detail?

M
MikePierce170
Bassman_2000 what ever you do make sure you shank them repeatedly with a sharp knife before releasing them.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
mikepierce170 said:
bassman_2000 what ever you do make sure you shank them repeatedly with a sharp knife before releasing them.

Hahahahaha!!!

H
HereFishy
I'm surprised igquick hasn't chimed in yet. He seems to be our resident carp expert. You might want to consider sending him a PM. Or at least check out his blogs. I know he's forgotten more things about carp than I'll ever know.

Last edited:
E
eugene1
iggy is the carp master for bait fishing, but don't forget about john montana for carp on the fly.

Best,

HereFishy said:
I'm surprised igquick hasn't chimed in yet. He seems to be our resident carp expert. You might want to consider sending him a PM. Or at least check out his blogs. I know he's forgotten more things about carp than I'll ever know.

I
igquick
What area are u tryin to fish at?

I
illi13
Hi. I am interested is good carp fishing places within 1hr drive of Portland.I read about Kelly Point Park. Any specific spots there? Any other placer around town? Any help will be much appreciated!!!

I
igquick
Vancouver Lake. Also go to N Kelley Point Park Road and there is a direct left into a gravel parking lot that over looks the slough. That was the first place John Montana directed me to, and I'll never forget that 15 lb carp I caught from there. I'll post more locations on this thread, but I got to get back to work.

I
igquick
Sauvies Island is good too but they are about to be staged for spawning so it's good til 8 days from this post.

I
illi13
Thanks! Where about on Sauvie Island?

M
MikePierce170
Illi13, stop looking for hand outs and get your ass to the island. They're everywhere out there.

Reactions: eugene1
I
igquick
MikePierce170 said:
Illi13, stop looking for hand outs and get your ass to the island. They're everywhere out there.

I one up @MikePierce170

I
illi13
Sorry guys, did not mean to ask for specific locations.. just general water body. I have not fished anything but trout, and you pretty much know where they are from stocking schedule :) Island has lots of lakes and streams, that's why I was asking...

C
CESAR503
I usually go to the gilbert boat ramp