New to boat Sturgeon fishing

S
Specialed
I have a 13' Alaskan Smokercraft-high sides and wide. I am very comfortable with it it the lakes kokanee fishing when the water is rough. I am wondering where would be a good place to try it out. I have never fished the rivers around Portland. Is it safe to take it out there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated-(I have life jackets but am in no hurry to try them out:lol:) Thanks, Specialed

M
Marvin's Guide Service
you might want to fish on the willamette easy and pretty safe there.
fish down by the mouth, or under st johns bridge. good places to learn
good luck

T
The Nothing
Agreed, there are a ton of great sturgeon spots on the lower willamette you'd be suitable for (i fish the same spots in my kayak)... St Johns is a good start! The Slough, Sellwood... just to name a couple..

Do make sure you have a suitable anchor and enough rope. Even from the kayak i'm running about 4:1 and still could use a bit more these days...

S
Swamp Puppy
Multnomah Channel (Slough) is a good place to go. It can get a little choppy out there at times, but for the most part you should be ok. guys run around there all the time in loaded down little boats going duck hunting. of course, nobody has ever accused a ducker hunter of having much in the way of sanity or common sense when it comes to the craft they choose to get themselves around in. lol.

(btw..i am a duck hunter. :cool: )

J
juggernaut506
I took my 14' boat out to St. John's the first time a couple weeks ago and had no problem. I had 200' of rope on at first but took 100' off because we had no problem getting the anchor to hook up even with the anchor buddy on. I'll probably be going out again Thursday or Friday if I get around to getting my new boat tags.

S
Specialed
What type of anchor ?

What type of anchor ?

juggernaut506 said:
I took my 14' boat out to St. John's the first time a couple weeks ago and had no problem. I had 200' of rope on at first but took 100' off because we had no problem getting the anchor to hook up even with the anchor buddy on. I'll probably be going out again Thursday or Friday if I get around to getting my new boat tags.

What type of anchor do you use? It sounds like I will probably need more rope. How deep is it out there?

S
Specialed
Anchor?

Anchor?

The Nothing said:
Agreed, there are a ton of great sturgeon spots on the lower willamette you'd be suitable for (i fish the same spots in my kayak)... St Johns is a good start! The Slough, Sellwood... just to name a couple..

Do make sure you have a suitable anchor and enough rope. Even from the kayak i'm running about 4:1 and still could use a bit more these days...

Can you give me some advice on the anchor situation? I have always fished the lakes, trolling mostly so don't have any experience in river anchoring. Thanks, Specialed

F
Fish Fight
The water is running high and hard with a lot of debris. I would advise you to stay off the Willy and the Columbia until the water drops. Multnomah Channel is your safest bet and there is fish.

Sauvie Island has a boat ramp at Gilbert River. there's a few holes near by and it's waters are much safer for small boats. A Rocker Anchor (river anchor) with at least 200 ft of 3/8 nylon braid rope (300 ft is standard) and an anchor puller buoy is the setup that most use.

M
Mike123
Fish Fight said:
The water is running high and hard with a lot of debris. I would advise you to stay off the Willy and the Columbia until the water drops. Multnomah Channel is your safest bet and there is fish.

Sauvie Island has a boat ramp at Gilbert River. there's a few holes near by and it's waters are much safer for small boats. A Rocker Anchor (river anchor) with at least 200 ft of 3/8 nylon braid rope (300 ft is standard) and an anchor puller buoy is the setup that most use.

Will anything be safe to fish Sunday?