New to Bass fishing

D
dud3r
Hey all. I'm new to Bass fishing. Live in the Gresham area. Have been doing a lot of research but my only problem is I can't think of anywhere to apply it. Would anyone be willing to give any recommendations? I'm not asking something for nothing. But unfortunately all I can offer back is information on Salmon fishing and I've always been restricted to the bank. Me and the girlfriend would like to get out and try out some bass.

Will list our current setup. Please feel free to comment. Of course any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated.

Poles: 6 1/2-7' medium action Ugly sticks.
Reel: Random reels I've caught on sale at Fishermans or something similar over the years.
Line: 8-10lb Mono.

These are just the general purpose setups we use for trout and catfish. From what I've been reading though they should work just fine. But again, I'm new to this Bass thing lol.

Thanks for looking. Feel free to PM if you'd like to swap some info. Have a good one and stay safe out there.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Those set ups will be fine. Unless you want to use really big baits. or if you catch a big one near cover and have to haul him out of it.

Id start out with Senko style worms. I buy the Yum Dingers only because theyre cheaper then the yamatos.

good luck! bass fishing is real fun

D
dud3r
For bigger fish should I just step the line up? I was considering that and something a little more resistant to abrasion.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Maybe look into braided line if havent already.

T
tomriker
A nice bait casting reel and some 50 pound test braid! Then you never have to worry about breaking your line! Lol. And I seems from the bass that i catch they don't really care about seeing the line so having invisible line isn't that big of a deal too me. Original rapala are easy to fish and have worked pretty good for me over the years, I also like dark colored 3/8 jigs. I can't really tell you much abou soft plastics, I don't ever use them. Big swim baits are what I'm into now to try and catch bigger fish!

T
todd
i would use 12lb test but i think u were asking where to fish for bass the columbia river and the willamette river is good smallmouth fishing look on google maps and find a good looking area to try oregon city i think is good

Gunga
Gunga
Theres a little marnina called chinook landing on the columbia. i can't remember where its at exactly ihavnt been there for a couple years. But i have and also seen people pull out some nice decent sized smallies out of there. There is also a small jetty on the left side of it that you can fish off of. its also a good place for the bass to hide out on. There is aslo flounder that like to bite on worms of you cast way out there. You can use most lures there to catch bass.

T
todd
there is pond out off i84 close to the falls beson lake or ponds on the right side of the free way
also salish ponds i have fish trout there im sure theres bass to and thats right off 205th and glisan

P
PARTYBOY
todd said:
there is pond out off i84 close to the falls beson lake or ponds on the right side of the free way
also salish ponds i have fish trout there im sure theres bass to and thats right off 205th and glisan

Yeah the east of the two ponds at salish has warm water fish in it...Bass, Crappie, Blue Gill, ect...I pulled a few bass out last year

K
Kevinb5688
I would just get a few cheap wilow leaf spinner baits, some senkos or brush hawgs( all found at walmart) 3/0 wide gap hooks, and some bullet weights. Easy beginner baits. As for your setup everythings fine but id go with 15 lb line. Weither its braid or flouracarbin. Stren flouracast is amazing for 9$. Start out fishing sturcture on the bank in anywhere from 1' to 10' of water. Bass hug cover tighter than you can imagine. Throw a spinner bait by some grass or logs and you will catch fish. As for where almost any lake or pond you can think of has bass in it around that area. Especially if the willamate runs or floods into it.

T
Texas Basser
Try fishing a weedless soft plastic. You can avoid a bullet weight setup i.e. carolina rig or Texas rig by using hooks with weight attached to the shaft of the hook (see link below). Cast into as much rif raf, grass, or brush as possible then zip your soft plastic out and then stop. Swim the soft plastic back to you with stops along the way...

F
Finneus Polebender
todd said:

All that water on the south side of 84 holds nice largemouth got into some there last year this time rollin slow spinner baits over beds white /chartruese w colorodo blades for the slow retrieve.