New to area...where to fish for Steelhead near Astoria, OR?

G
galaga_z
Hey folks...I hate to sound like a newbie, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me of a couple steelhead fishing spots in the Astoria, Or area. Up to a 50 mile radius would be great

I don't have a boat, and any places that I can get to on foot would be super awesome.

I appreciate your time!

R
rippin fish lips
Welcome to the forum! I my self wouldnt be able to hep you, but i'm sure there is other ppl that will be willing to!

G
galaga_z
Thanks, rippin for the warm welcome!

I'll be looking out for people with steelheadin knowledge in my area:)

Reactions: OnTheFly
H
halibuthitman
Any river that connects to the columbia or ocean from the sacramento river in california to the kasilof river in cook inlet and from the mouth of the columbia to the Henrys fork.. but I would start with the firestation hole on the nf of the klaskenine and the necanicum becouse its a super simple river to catch a fish in. Big creek and Gnat both are low access and dificult to fish if you are a beginner.

G
galaga_z
halibuthitman, you are awesome. Thank you so much. That's enough info for me to keep me happy for the winter. Take care, and again, its a pleasure to be on board ladies, and gents.

Reactions: OnTheFly
H
halibuthitman
I hope you do well. The NFK fishes best in the morning ( all good steelheaders step into the river in the dark ) the necan fishes suprisingly well when the sun hits it. bait and a bobber or jigs on the NFK ( and stay off the posted property below the bridge! ) the necan is one of the best spinner and spoon rivers around do to its lack of depth in most areas, use summer techniques all year long. Avoid the temptation to drive over to the N F of the Nehalem, the weekend scene there is enough to turn a guy off to fishing for life.