New steelhead rod

Grant22
Grant22
Hi everyone, I am in the market for a new steelhead rod and was going back and forth between a 10’ moderate action 4-12lb okuma celilo or a 9’6” Medium power 8-12lb buzz Ramsey air rod. I have a Shimano schimitar now and love it but would like to try out other rods. I will be using it mostly for bobber fishing for steelhead and maybe some coho.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I have 4 of the Buzz Ramsey 8-12 lb Air Rods. I love them. They feel like a much more expensive rod. When friends are with me side drifting they've commented on how much they like them. I think they believe they are an expensive guide rod. I really am glad I picked them up. I use two for side drifting and two for bobber dogging. I have a friend that fishes the Celilo rods for bobber fishing and he swears by them. You can't go wrong either way.

Reactions: Grant22 and troutdude
Grant22
Grant22
Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
Hooked Up
Hooked Up
I'd add that I like a faster action tip for mending the line when float fishing. As stated above you can't go wrong with either one.

Reactions: Grant22
Artwo
Artwo
I've been fishing the Okuma Guide Select Pro the last couple seasons and really like how it's performed.......

Here's the one I've been using........ GSP-S-992ML, 6-12 LBS, 9'-9", ML

Reactions: Casting Call
jamisonace
jamisonace
Artwo said:
I've been fishing the Okuma Guide Select Pro the last couple seasons and really like how it's performed.......

Here's the one I've been using........ GSP-S-992ML, 6-12 LBS, 9'-9", ML

That's a good rod too. The main thing for me is a nice soft tip to feel everything on the line. I do like some solid backbone too because the Umpqua fish can really make you work to get them in. Also, the occasional springer.

Reactions: Grant22 and Casting Call
Casting Call
Casting Call
what he said

Grant22
Grant22
Ok cool, Fisherman’s also has some North river rods on sale and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with those rods. I’m still in high school so I’m on a pretty tight budget.

Casting Call
Casting Call
try TFO rods quality and might be your price point. Tony

Grant22
Grant22
Thanks

Grant22
Grant22
It the 9’6” or 10’6” better? Also I was going to pair it with either a okuma ceymar 40 or a pflueger trion 4000.

Last edited:
Grant22
Grant22
Grant22 said:
It the 9’6” or 10’6” better? Also I was going to pair it with either a okuma ceymar 40 or a pflueger trion 4000.

Sorry I meant a pflueger President 40

Casting Call
Casting Call
10'-6 bank only, 9'-6 for bank and boat. Tony

jamisonace
jamisonace
My Berkleys are paired with the pflueger 40.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Depending on where you fish. North, south, etc. you may want to up weight your rod choice to cover all bases. 8#-12#, 10#-18#, etc. Tony

Grant22
Grant22
So it sounds like a 9’6” 8-12 moderate action, medium power with a pflueger president 40 and 30-40lb braid would be best because I fish mostly the Wilson, Nestucaa, Trask, Clack, etc from the bank and sometimes from a boat so I will be able to handle those big steelhead. Or a coho or even a chinook should that happen. A local store has lamiglass x11s on sale so I’ll prolly go with that one or a TFO rod and spend a little more for a bit better quality. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Last edited:
Casting Call
Casting Call
Those are my home waters also. I'll see you back at Sportsmans in Tmook in the near future. Tony

Grant22
Grant22
For sure. Thanks for all of the advice everyone I greatly appreciate it.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Don't forget to let us know well your purchase's work for you. Tony

Grant22
Grant22
I will