New spinning rod

F
fishing_mission
Im going too be getting a new spinning rod here soon. Been thinking bout the fenwick HMX 8'6 (maybe 9'0) 4-15 lb test. Just wondering if you guys got any Intel on any sweet spinning rods around or under 200 bucks.

N
nativefish
i like my st. croix avid. and i like my gl2, both are in that price range.

troutdude
troutdude
I grew up being a HUGE fan of Fenwick rods (since the mid 60's). I still love 'em, and have several models and still enjoy using them.

However, I have yet to see a fenny that would compare to a Loomis. Maybe they are out there, IDK. St. Croix is also making VERY good rods these days. So, I'm w/ NF on this one...

I would cast my $$ on one of those rods (or one similar...like TFO); if they are in your price range.

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
fishing_mission said:
Im going too be getting a new spinning rod here soon. Been thinking bout the fenwick HMX 8'6 (maybe 9'0) 4-15 lb test. Just wondering if you guys got any Intel on any sweet spinning rods around or under 200 bucks.

so im curious... is it a 4# or 15# never trust a rod with that much of a line swing.. I would buy a st croix or a lami for that kind of money-

F
fishing_mission
halibuthitman said:
so im curious... is it a 4# or 15# never trust a rod with that much of a line swing.. I would buy a st croix or a lami for that kind of money-

Yup it says 4-15 lb on the website.

But thanks for the input. I was thinking bout a gl2 but I thought they were a little more spendy . I will have to check em again.

O
osmosis
Tons of great factory rods around $200.
My vote is for Certified pro, like the x96js - or a custom rod.

S
steelie_killa
If your willing to spend the money the lamiglas SI line up would b the way to go, i got the 9'4 casting model and i luv it, i swear by it...lol...caught more fish than the last 2 yrs combined....jus my opinion

F
fishing_mission
steelie_killa said:
If your willing to spend the money the lamiglas SI line up would b the way to go, i got the 9'4 casting model and i luv it, i swear by it...lol...caught more fish than the last 2 yrs combined....jus my opinion

I got the SI in a baitcasting setup and love it. I use it most of the time and just wanted a "cheaper" but good spinning rod for fishing certain areas.

B
bran_man
Best rod I've fished so far is my g. Loomis gl2 @$220

T
troutmasta
I need to get something like that, my spinning rod has a broken tip and I've never invested in a really nice one for steelhead

N
neverbackdown7
Fetha Styx... Just got a Chrome series yesterday for $190 and its crazy awesome.

T
troutmasta
neverbackdown7 said:
Fetha Styx... Just got a Chrome series yesterday for $190 and its crazy awesome.

I want one of those!

N
neverbackdown7
N
nativefish
broke the tip on my st. croix last weekend. Come to find out that you can purchase a new tip section from them for 30 bucks and that includes shipping (seems like a better deal than trying to warranty it). If you haven't gotten a rod yet, they have a couple st croix legend elites at wholesale sports for 200 bones (50% off). Now that is a serious bad ass stick for the price.