NuCanoe Unlimited

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Life gets in the way as usual, but I did experiment with some new straps on the kayak cart.

I think I might be able to transport it on my toolbox, frees up the bed nicely.
19278b56d3fa66f825e9b7996b9f3ed3.jpg
97799c94be62ab1e0ef65d9df71e2808.jpg

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Scupper plugs showed up, these were free, supposed to be included when purchased but they were either redesigning them or out of them

Pretty similar to the perception ones I've been using, slightly larger
f69515df31732d148eddd87c1ba250f0.jpg
3c07e34efbc4002c838c7ac825db482d.jpg

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Raised tackle box has been awesome, way more gear, easier to access, storage underneath, still might need a way to secure it for emergencies

The cold is doing some work on the lithium, I burned 34% in a couple hours at Alton Baker. I did speed up the whole canal about 90% power

Then today in less than an hour I burned 15% at Ford's in the ripping wind
2dd665ebca1b946e4bc46eb5f37364e9.jpg
cad46c6ad0c00feb5de9749d06fe99f2.jpg

Reactions: fromthelogo
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Finally time for it's first bath, photo from last weekend but it's covered in slop now

I did notice that whole travelling in current, I can control me steering pretty well just by leaning left or right, enough that I don't have to touch the remote
3a287f7adb597924105c2012a926c007.jpg

Reactions: fromthelogo and Admin
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
First wash yesterday, as much as I like the grip that mat provides, (seadek-ish) it really holds a lot of dirt.

The rest of the kayak as well stains pretty easy, a magic eraser is about the only thing that worked.
d0198023372a54f21a99492378a85eb4.jpg

Reactions: Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Carefully designed and built in earth tones to blend in with the surroundings, then carefully cleansed of the environmental residues of the that would enhance the deception. Humans are just unaccountable creatures.

For the record, I would do exactly the same thing. šŸ˜‚

Reactions: NKlamerus
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Shaun Solomon said:
Carefully designed and built in earth tones to blend in with the surroundings, then carefully cleansed of the environmental residues of the that would enhance the deception. Humans are just unaccountable creatures.

For the record, I would do exactly the same thing. [emoji23]
I did get lucky in that the Oregon registration stickers this year are blaze orange [emoji23] at least it could pass for a hunting rig

Only took the marine board exactly 16 weeks to the day to get everything entered and sent off. /s

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Need to purchase some registration numbers.

Did order the katana prop, supposed to be a nice upgrade from the factory 3 blade, but I definitely don't love the prop nut it comes with.

Going to do my own stainless nylock and fender washer instead.
20220209_144710.jpg

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
New prop is definitely 100% better in weeds. Not as smooth on open water, and I haven't been able to test speed. Little louder too, at least the water turbulence is.

c6a3580ffc6405edefcb2c25c49bc7a1.jpg

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Officially legal, other side didn't turn out at good. But it'll do until next year!
067f87d05ebb737f1c8093b0f8504efb.jpg

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Small gripe, I specifically tried to order the Nucanoe "unbranded" cell block, saved 15$ and free shipping by ordering elsewhere and waiting 11 days for it show up.

Finally gets here, and it's the dang Yak Attack version, which im sure it's fine but I absolutely hate the tactical look.

I reached out to nucanoe to see if theirs is actually still the simple version or if they have switched theirs to the yak attack version too.

This is one of the first steps into the star on top of the tree; electronics.

I'm going Garmin 100%, likely 9". I've passed up a few great deals on the same models in 7"

Already have the ram mount and hobie/ram transducer holder
f86f23f45ab02970912042b8106241fd.jpg
7d3d87bb2109c8a8131bf80fca4f5cc8.jpg

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
I understand not liking ā€œtacticalā€ looking gear aimed at nut-jobs who subscribe to Soldier of Fortune magazine (and totally agree in that case) but sometimes a thing just looks like it looks. I guess you could paint it? If it helps, I donā€™t personally get a tactical vibe from it at all.

Are you thinking you might be using split screen a fair bit?

Pretty impressive setup you got going. Iā€™m curious how that motor works out for you, there just arenā€™t too many small motors like that around anymore.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Shaun Solomon said:
I understand not liking ā€œtacticalā€ looking gear aimed at nut-jobs who subscribe to Soldier of Fortune magazine (and totally agree in that case) but sometimes a thing just looks like it looks. I guess you could paint it? If it helps, I donā€™t personally get a tactical vibe from it at all.

Are you thinking you might be using split screen a fair bit?

Pretty impressive setup you got going. Iā€™m curious how that motor works out for you, there just arenā€™t too many small motors like that around anymore.
It is subtle but the sides are molded to look like a crate and the top is webbed/logo'ed around the edges. It also has the white/creamy hue to the black, that you get when injecting recycled plastic into molds.

I do a little, I've had 7" screens in the past and while they were okay I was always wishing for more, especially when standing. Not to mention I'm a 100% glasses wearer, in the boat I have contacts in which aren't great, dirty sunglasses, the sun/rain, and sweat in the summer, the bigger screen would help a bit.

Mostly sideview and mapping, although most the bodies of water I fish are so small once I find any structure I can forever just triangulate myself

I'm surprised more companies aren't making 36" short or smaller shafts, seems like it would save them money on materials, but they are making their bank on the motors and electronics otherwise

MinnKota has a deal with Old Town for the autopilots, I wonder if another kayak motor from them would interfere.

Wouldn't mind trying rhodan either. Based on the Facebook activity the motorguides are 100% failure or 100% problem free.

Reactions: Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Gotcha! Well I hope you can come to a satisfactory solution. Might look at thingies marketed at ice anglers. They tote a lot of smaller batteries. Might require some modificationsā€¦?

Motorguide was always real popular down south in the past. It seems like MinnKota caught up with them with the good olā€™ boy demographic a bit. Iā€™m sure your motor will be fine, I feel like a lot of the problems people have with gear are their own fault and you seem like a conscientious person.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Shaun Solomon said:
Gotcha! Well I hope you can come to a satisfactory solution. Might look at thingies marketed at ice anglers. They tote a lot of smaller batteries. Might require some modificationsā€¦?

Motorguide was always real popular down south in the past. It seems like MinnKota caught up with them with the good olā€™ boy demographic a bit. Iā€™m sure your motor will be fine, I feel like a lot of the problems people have with gear are their own fault and you seem like a conscientious person.

We'll see what nucanoe says about their models, if they have the unbranded box I'll order theirs and return this. If not I'll probably use this.

A DeWalt 20V battery fits perfect in it, and I've got a couple dozen of them, Garmin rates their machines 12 or 24, if my understanding of electricity is correct (which could be arse backwards), the higher voltage should mean they draw less amps.

Motorguide has really blown up, their saltwater stuff is very well built and spot lock absolutely folded the entire saltwater charter industry (inshore mostly). No more fighting anchors and lines with clients in the way

Appreciate it bud, I definitely see the common stuff, running 16ga wire and wondering why it melted running 12volts and 50amps of draw! Blaming motorguide for their melted boat

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
I called nucanoe, they have officially switched over to the newer cases, but no one has updated website photos.

I searched by model number specifically and was able to track down a NOS (new old stock) cellblock in North Carolina.

Placed the order, based on my recent shipments from USPS it'll be here probably end of March.

It's definitely much heavier from what I've read, but because it's a blank slate its way more customizable, I have a feeling it will be a good deal stronger as well.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Finally arrived [emoji106] much better looking I think!
a6e7c2e21a95d5672030d0ee40008a75.jpg

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Just need a graph to hang!
efcc6ad4b4578e85758730d1971625e4.jpg
38d79f647e7b5dedff9d1fb8d7661eb2.jpg

fromthelogo
fromthelogo
That's a clean looking set up

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Well the electronics will have to wait, after car accidents, money scams, and a washer fire, I'll need to save a little more.

I also found a set of wheels 2nd hand for a hundred bucks. Little sun faded but great condition and will eliminate a seperate cart.

NuCanoe sells a 100$ plate to safely mount these style wheels, to disperse the weight across both tracks otherwise you risk ripping out the tracks from the plastic. I was able to track down an early unpainted test set on Facebook, and made a deal with the owner.

They take up a lot of space, add weight, and don't match the color scheme, but I'm willing to ditch a cart. Maybe if I like them enough I'll try a different mounting system I had in mind.
a79666d122e350afcb298f50380e0bcd.jpg
a33e2f93220197d9e0191ba28ab0f7d9.jpg

Reactions: fromthelogo and Shaun Solomon