What rod for trolling for salmon

B
Big Nigiri
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but what rods do people run trolling for salmon?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
you could get lots of opinions on this, not just from personal preference, but also fishing platform (bank, tiny boat, small boat, bigger boat...).

because I fish mostly from a kayak, I use one-piece 7' rods. I believe that these give me the best control when the fish is at the boat. close combat with a big salmon when you are sitting (or kneeling) at water level gets exciting real fast and things can go all pear shaped real quick.

For coho, I'm looking for a M rod rated for 8-12# leader, that's all I use at Siltcoos. I also use those rods for chinook but usually go up to a MH 12-25# line rod for big fall chinook. IM-8 and HM54 rods have been very good to me.

because our old PB is low to the water, with low sides, I find the 7' rods are just fine for it, especially for people with less fishing experience, but I've also had people join me and use their favorite 8 1/2' to 9 1/2' salmon rods on our PB with good success.

cheers, roger

B
Big Nigiri
Roger, as always thank you! I just need to upgrade my rods. The ones I have don’t see to have enough back bone for this style of trolling.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I troll with 8oz cannonballs max., the 8-12# rated rods are fine for that but much weight, probably not.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Off the side of the boat I run 9' heavy action Northwest rods. Off the stern I run 7' medium action Diawi rods. Either rod is stout enough to handle that occasional chinook. I troll with deep six diver at about 2 to 2.5 mph. I have had those Diawi glass rods for over 30 years and they have been one heck of an investment.

B
Big Nigiri
Perfect! Now I just need to find a few fish.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
me too, Pepper and I trolled the lower Siuslaw from 6am to 10:30am (the first PB didn't show up until like 8am :) )

there were baitfish everywhere but we sure didn't locate any big fish....

46jR5Jx.jpg

Irishrover
Irishrover
Have been taking a few day off with the crazy ocean swells and all. Looking at Saturday as a good day to pick up some fish hope they are still around.