New rod/reel, but what line?

J
JSpencer
Ok folks, ive got me a new fishing pole and a new baitcaster, but i need to slap some line on it. I know i do not want braid, so i'm trying to figure out what line to use. This is the first pole and reel ive purchased purely with steelhead in mind.

Fishing Pole: 7' Ugly Stick Ultra Light
Reel: Daiwa Megaforce 100TSHL

Im figuring 6-8lb test line, maybe flouro, maybe not. Guess i'm just looking for some people to toss out their favorites so i can decide the next time im eyeballing 50+ brands lol.

B
beaverfan
I use and have had really good results with Maxima UG in 8-10lbs. Love the stuff.

B
bigsteel
i use stren,,,10lb it has been good to me..

M
meluvtrout
What's the line weight on the rod? If you go with 8-10 lb on a 7' UL setup, that might not work for you. I'd rather pick an 8'6" or a 9'6" with 6-12 lb for steelhead spinning setup.

D
DirectDrive
You do need more rod....Mr. Big is gonna school you about that :D
For line, I used to use UltraGreen quite a lot until Sufix ProMix came out.

It does everything that UltraGreen does but is smaller in diameter and limper.
Usually a limp mono is too soft for river fishing, but not this stuff.
I can cast Sufix much farther and where I fish long casts = more fish.

I also use Sufix Tritanium Plus in Hi-Vis Chartreuse in certain situations.
I still use UltraGreen for leaders.....never got on the fluorocarbon bandwagon.

Last edited:
L
livin2fish
JSpencer said:
Ok folks, ive got me a new fishing pole and a new baitcaster, but i need to slap some line on it. I know i do not want braid, so i'm trying to figure out what line to use. This is the first pole and reel ive purchased purely with steelhead in mind.

Fishing Pole: 7' Ugly Stick Ultra Light
Reel: Daiwa Megaforce 100TSHL

Im figuring 6-8lb test line, maybe flouro, maybe not. Guess i'm just looking for some people to toss out their favorites so i can decide the next time im eyeballing 50+ brands lol.
Ok just keep it simple the rod is a little short but my wife uses a6'6" ugly stik one piece and so far this year she's got me skunked 2-0 so th e rod will do you fine until you learn a bit more. As far as line goes, maxima chamelion in 8-10# is great stuff for any type of fish. obviously smaller test for trout but you're targeting steelies right. remember fishing is about relaxing and just being out there enjoying it, when it starts to feel like work, well you know the rest. Good luck and be safe.

FISHON

B
bigsteel
i use a 7' ugly stik as well,,one piece....its a little short for mending line but its stout and does the job....

L
livin2fish
bigsteel said:
i use a 7' ugly stik as well,,one piece....its a little short for mending line but its stout and does the job....
Hey how's the steelie fishin' up on the santiam?p.m. me if anything good is goin' on.:D :D :D

FISHON

J
JSpencer
I did want a longer rod, but my wallet told me to go another direction...so i have to work with what i can afford.

The line weight of the rod is 2-6 (I think, i'm not at home right now), which is why i was thinking something in the 6lb area.

L
livin2fish
JSpencer said:
I did want a longer rod, but my wallet told me to go another direction...so i have to work with what i can afford.

The line weight of the rod is 2-6 (I think, i'm not at home right now), which is why i was thinking something in the 6lb area.
Hey no worries man go with an 8# chamelion you will be happy you did no matter what the rating on the rod says it's an ugly stik it will take it.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I run 6lb braid on my 6ft, light, 2-6lb trout rod. It caught my last steelhead (7lbs) with a spinner! That setup will work but if you hook anything around 10lb or more kiss it goodbye. You will need to use every bit of power that rod has along with some very good fighting skills to keep the fish off balance to land it. :D It will be fun though.

H
halibuthitman
you can land fish all day on the light rod you mention, and if you know how to play a fish its a perfect weapon,.... that is if your on a hatchery only river, but a 10-20 native is going to bottom out and possibly even thrash and break that rod. It is not a steelhead rod. And if you do perfectly play a native trophy and land him, it WILL kill him within a few days, so use light line so you can break off the big nates, unless a picture means more than the fish,.. after all everyone tells me they are all hatchery/nates anyway. Okuma makes two rods in the $50-$78 range that are great steelheaders.... the celio... which Ive used for 3 years on kings, and it fished great, and as of 4 days ago a SST steelhead model thats 1st fish was an eleven pounder and I couldn't believe how well it played it for $75 bucks. As far as line... anything that bio-degrades fast... becouse that set-up is gonna leave a lot of it in the river.

troutdude
troutdude
JSpencer said:

My friend, what it really sounds like you have there, is a rod designed for trout. It'll work great for fish up to maybe 20" (if your drag is set loosely). And it will be a great rod for that type of fishing. You'll have fun chasing trout with it!

But, you will find fighting a steelhead (even a smaller summer run fish) an attempt in futility. You will quickly find yourself wishing for a rod with more fighting strength built in.

If you can afford another rod, I suggest something sturdier. A 7' rod is fine, but it needs to have a greater rating than a UL (ultralight). Even a Medium Light would be better. And you may want to consider an even longer rod (and medium action), with a longer handle for extra leverage. This type of rod, is way better for the Winter fish that you are now after.

This is just my .02 cents worth. But, I just want to see you have fun and catch lots of steelies!

Good luck,

TD

J
JSpencer
Hmm...i do have an 8'6" medium rod i purchased with salmon in mind, but apparently i'm thinking too small of fish....

I can swap the reel over to that one and go with 8lb line, then look for something with more backbone for salmon. Would that be a wiser idea? A buddy is going to give me a small spinning reel so i could put that on the 7' rod for trout.

D
DirectDrive
It's important to look at the power of the rod first and determine what class it is in.
You can have a 7' rod designed for halibut and it will look a lot different than your 7 footer.

A very typical "garden variety" steelhead rod will be 8'-6" ~ 3/8-3/4 oz lure weight ~ 6-12lb line rating. Usually fast action, sometimes medium.
That is the baseline, the standard since dirt was invented. There are variations that vary in each direction but that is the typical steelhead rod.

A
adambomb
I'm a braid kinda guy, I use 14lb Fire Line in black on my spinning reel, and 30lb Tuff line on my bobber rod. I usually use 12lb Maxima UG leader on my bobber rod and I usually straighten out hooks before it breaks, same with the 14lb Fire line.

M
meluvtrout
JSpencer said:
Hmm...i do have an 8'6" medium rod i purchased with salmon in mind, but apparently i'm thinking too small of fish....

I can swap the reel over to that one and go with 8lb line, then look for something with more backbone for salmon. Would that be a wiser idea? A buddy is going to give me a small spinning reel so i could put that on the 7' rod for trout.

Probably will be wiser to go that route. Trust me, you don't want to try to unsnag an ultra light rod spooled with 8lb test line.

D
DirectDrive
meluvtrout said:
Probably will be wiser to go that route. Trust me, you don't want to try to unsnag an ultra light rod spooled with 8lb test line.
That's where you point the rod at the snag, wrap the line around something that can take it (hand, arm, stick) and break off saving the rod from unnecessary torture.

Don't ever want to hear the big kerr-shnap while monkeying with a snag.
It's OK if Mr. Big causes the kerr-shnap....then it's a war story :D

troutdude
troutdude
Good idea to put a small reel on that ultralight rod. It'll be better balanced, than if it's a heavy or larger reel.

J
JSpencer
Ok so i swapped over to the 8'6" medium action, put 8lb Pline CXX on the reel and think it's ready to go. Got the smaller baitcaster from my buddy and put 4lb Floroclear from Pline on it for the trout.

Should be good to go now