New rod reccomendations

Hornet156
Hornet156
Hello all,

I’m new to the forum and steelhead fishing in general(been steelhead fishing for over a year). I was looking for reccomendations on a new rod/reel combo. What would you recommend for fishing from the bank. I will mostly be drift fishing and throwing hardware with the occasional bobber fishing. Should I go with bait caster or spinning, I personally prefer bait caster but it seems spinning might be easier with light tackle. My budget is $500 for rod/reel combo. Thanks in advance.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF. Glad to have ya.

A casting set up is what I'd suggest for bobbers and drifting. But a casting set up won't work very well for tossing spinners and/or spoons. Unless you're truly an expert with a casting reel. And with your budget you can likely pick up both sets (rod/reel for spinning and a rod/reel for casting). Especially if you hit the year end sales.

Good luck and tight lines,

TD

P.S. Don't forget that steelhead are the "fish of a thousand casts". So patience is a virtue.

Reactions: Troutski
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
here is what I use and am happy with fishing steelhead from bank or a drift boat/raft:

rods: primary: 9.5' medium drifter rated for 8-12# line (leader), 3/8-3/4oz lure, with fast action and medium power. I use this length because it lets me mend the line (keep it out of the water between my bobber and the rod tip) but it also lets me cast in areas where there are some overhanging branches and shore brush. you can spend a lot or a little for this sort of rod. also not too long to use from a drift boat, IMO.
secondary: for hardware, I'll sometimes use one of my 7' kayak rods, IM8 graphite, medium action. for bobbers, an 8.5' IM8 is my shorter back-up.

reels: primary: I like using a baitcaster and there are lots of choices, I have 3 of these and no issues or need to spend more $$$:
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/abu-garcia-silver-max-baitcast-reelthese reels also work good for trolling ocean salmon from my kayak but for steelhead from the bank, they cast fine and I really like being able to use my thumb on the spool to control a fish RIGHT NOW if it's required! To use them effectively and avoid backlash, you will need to be able to put your thumb on the spool right as your bobber or hardware hits the water. Other than that, spooled up with 30# yellow braid (so I can see it and keep it out of the water) they work great.
secondary: I will also use basic mid-sized spinning reels with 30# braid, works fine for bobbers or hardware. But I prefer the baitcaster for controlling the spool, it's easier than grabbing the spinning reel spool.

Reactions: troutdude
jamisonace
jamisonace
With $500 you can get at least two good rods and reels. For Steelhead I use the Berkley Air Buzz Ramsey Rods 9' 6" (8-14lb I think) and Pflueger President Reels. Each rod and reel combo costs me around $150 (again I think). I have 2 for side drifting and 2 for bobber dogging. I also have the Buzz Ramsey bait caster with Abu 5500 reels. 2 for plugging and two for drift fishing. Those are similiar in cost...maybe a little more.

I would buy them all again but for what you're doing I'd probably go with two or three of the spinning rods and use them each for different applications.

My buddy just bought those Buzz Ramseys in a lighter weight, 6-10 I believe. I fished them a couple weeks ago and I like them more for steelhead than what I have but I hook springers when I'm side drifting for winters and fall chinook when I side drifting for coho and I like to have the extra strength when that happens. Still not enough but it works and the Umpqua steelhead are bigger than average anyway.

Reactions: willierower and troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
jamisonace said:
With $500 you can get at least two good rods and reels. For Steelhead I use the Berkley Air Buzz Ramsey Rods 9' 6" (8-14lb I think) and Pflueger President Reels. Each rod and reel combo costs me around $150 (again I think). I have 2 for side drifting and 2 for bobber dogging. I also have the Buzz Ramsey bait caster with Abu 5500 reels. 2 for plugging and two for drift fishing. Those are similiar in cost...maybe a little more.
Now we know why you catch so many fish. You have 8 lines in the water! LOL

jamisonace
jamisonace
troutdude said:
Now we know why you catch so many fish. You have 8 lines in the water! LOL
Have you seen those videos from back east steelheading the tribs of the great lakes? I think they can put out as many lines as they want. Pretty ridiculous. Two guys with 8 lines going in every direction.

• Haha
Grant22
Grant22
Hornet156 said:
Hello all,

I’m new to the forum and steelhead fishing in general(been steelhead fishing for over a year). I was looking for reccomendations on a new rod/reel combo. What would you recommend for fishing from the bank. I will mostly be drift fishing and throwing hardware with the occasional bobber fishing. Should I go with bait caster or spinning, I personally prefer bait caster but it seems spinning might be easier with light tackle. My budget is $500 for rod/reel combo. Thanks in advance.
spinning- 9-10.5ft 6-12 or 8-12 fast
(Okuma Guide select pro, Buzz Ramsey Air rod, Lamiglas Redline are all good rods.
For spinning reels I like the Diawa Revros reels and the Shimano Sedona reels
Casting- 9-10ft 8-17 or 10-20 fast
(Lamiglass Redline, Okuma Guide select pro
Casting reels, I like abu Garcia so the ambassador would be my first choice but for a low profile the Diawa Tatula reels are awsome too.
you could definitely get a couple of those setups for $500

Troutski
Troutski
I use a Shimano Stradic 2500 with 8# braided line with a 6# fluorocarbon leader. My rod of choice is a 7' G Loomis Fast action. This works for small streams plus heavy water, I have had this rod for about 15 years and it has never failed me ...

Chuck

sambone
sambone
I just picked up a berkley im8 9'6" 8-12 lb rod and paired it with a pflueger president xt 3500. 140 dollars and seems really solid combo for the price.

Reactions: troutdude and jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
sambone said:
I just picked up a berkley im8 9'6" 8-12 lb rod and paired it with a pflueger president xt 3500. 140 dollars and seems really solid combo for the price.
Let me know what you think after you have it out. I fish that combination every day and I think it performs like a much more expensive combo.

Thomas Smith
Thomas Smith
Hornet156 said:
Hello all,

This going to sound unbelievable but...
Shakespeare Wild Series Salmon & Steelhead Combo
Model: WILDSS1062ULW35
Price: Under $70. 1 Year Warranty

You can buy three (3) at that price. Tight line or plunk 2 while drifting another. Different lengths are available for chucking hardware. The model I listed handles casting up to a 2 1/2 oz sinker well. Over that, you might want to try another model. I spool with 15lb Eazy-Braid and cast a mile. Handle anything the Great Lake Steelheads dish out.

Reactions: sambone
sambone
sambone
jamisonace said:
Let me know what you think after you have it out. I fish that combination every day and I think it performs like a much more expensive combo.
will do. the only gripe i have about my set up right now is my 30# tuffline braid seems to make more noise coming through the guides than im used to when i reel in. Not sure if it has to also do with the reel but ill eventually have to try a different braid maybe in 20# to see if it helps.

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
sambone said:
will do. the only gripe i have about my set up right now is my 30# tuffline braid seems to make more noise coming through the guides than im used to when i reel in. Not sure if it has to also do with the reel but ill eventually have to try a different braid maybe in 20# to see

sambone said:
will do. the only gripe i have about my set up right now is my 30# tuffline braid seems to make more noise coming through the guides than im used to when i reel in. Not sure if it has to also do with the reel but ill eventually have to try a different braid maybe in 20# to see if it helps.
Two of my rods have p line coated braid. I dont known the lb but I dont think I would have gone over 20. Seems to work really well.