New reel but which one?

F
fish_4_all
I have decided it is time to break down and buy a couple new reels for salmon and steelhead. I like my Quantum heat but I have to replace cheap parts too often.

I have been looking at the Quantum Burst and Quantum Code Red. Anyone use these reels? I want to find one that is under $75, retail or auction. I know I am cheap but I have never liked an expensive reel after using them.

What other reels does everyone recommend? Shimano, Abu Garcia? All I need is a reel that will hold at least 110 yards of 12# test and one that should hold up to a fair amount of hard running fish, hopefully a lot of fish anyway.

A
adambomb
I recently bought the Shimano Solstice 2500FI, and I love it. I think it was 50-60 bucks, and well worth it. It has adequate drag for steelhead and most coho, but if you plan to target chinook, I would go one size bigger. I have fished with it for two months now, and have not had to disassemble or oil it yet. It will hold 120yds of 10lb test diameter line.

F
fish_4_all
Looks like it would be a nice spinning reel but I am more looking for baitcasters right now. Thank ou though, I do need a spinning reel with a good drag sytem for salmon so I will keep this one in mind.

B
beaverfan
I am in the market for a new baitcasting reel too. I asked for advice on which brands/models to check out and then I went and checked out as many as I could find. The Abu Garcia Revo is going to be the one I purchase. I'm just waiting in hopes it will go on sale somewhere for Chirstmas. It sounds like your mostly interested in another Quantum which are great reels but you should take a look at the Revo. I saw them at Dick's for 109.99.

M
Mike123
I just bought the Revo last week! It's pretty damn sweet! I also like my Pfluegar Trion though! Both are about $100.. Revo is $10 more...
The Revo has a slightly smaller spool than the Trion. Both have real smooth drags. I do like the Trion's braking system better though, since you can adjust it. The Revo just has one adjustment... Further testing is required on the REVO. :D

Oooo my wading boots should be here any min. now! YES! I'm gonna be set for winter steel this year!

F
fish_4_all
The Revo sounds good to me, so does the Pro Max. Both have great line capacity and look like they will fit the bill. I like the way the Pro Max is designed better but there really isn't that much difference.

I did call both Abu Garcia and Quantum and they are not recommending low profile reels for salmon because of the high gear ratio. I thumb fight fish on my baitcasters and I don't see how a gear ratio is gonna be an issue even at 6.4:1. Any reason why a higher gear ratio would be a bad thing?

After looking at the Revo I have to agree that I wouldn't like it as much as the others. I love a side adjust to fine tune whenever conditions change or I go a little lighter on my lures and baits.

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
The Revo S is only $90 at Walmart.

$30 cheaper than the folks at Abu are sellin!

M
Mike123
fish_4_all said:
The Revo sounds good to me, so does the Pro Max. Both have great line capacity and look like they will fit the bill. I like the way the Pro Max is designed better but there really isn't that much difference.

I did call both Abu Garcia and Quantum and they are not recommending low profile reels for salmon because of the high gear ratio. I thumb fight fish on my baitcasters and I don't see how a gear ratio is gonna be an issue even at 6.4:1. Any reason why a higher gear ratio would be a bad thing?

After looking at the Revo I have to agree that I wouldn't like it as much as the others. I love a side adjust to fine tune whenever conditions change or I go a little lighter on my lures and baits.

I like a faster retrieve for both salmon and steelhead. I think they say that you need extra power to reel your fish in...? :think:
I use my rod to do the fighting not the reel.

T
The Nothing
Think of ratios like the gears in your car. a 6:1 ratio can be a lot like trying to start off in 3rd. It can be done, but its tough. 6:1 is great for bass, trout and other small fish. I like to keep around 5:1 for bigger steel and coho. 4-4.5 for big fish like chinook, sturgeon and halibut

D
DirectDrive
FishSchooler said:
The Revo S is only $90 at Walmart.
That's a very good price.....right hand crank only, though.

Best bang per buck, hard to beat an Ambassadeur for a chinook reel.

I was at Ollie Damon's today (reel repair shop) buying some parts and I took the opportunity to ask one of the techs about the Revo v. Curado/Citica.
He said he liked the Revo but he likes Curado/Citica more (cited smoothness). He said that these new "200" size Shimanos have "100" size frames and "200" size spools and this year Citica production went back to Japan from Malaysia previously.

It's nice to see a made in Japan reel at Citica's price point and also a "200" size spool in such a small frame is a plus for hard-core, repetitive casting.
I'm curious about those Revos but I think we're still in the "Curado era" for now.
Need more river time on the Revos.

In 1994 Shimano introduced these strange green reels....little did we know that the "Bantam era" was about to end.

Last edited:
F
FishAssassin
Mike123 said:
I just bought the Revo last week! It's pretty damn sweet! I also like my Pfluegar Trion though! Both are about $100.. Revo is $10 more...
The Revo has a slightly smaller spool than the Trion. Both have real smooth drags. I do like the Trion's braking system better though, since you can adjust it. The Revo just has one adjustment... Further testing is required on the REVO. :D

Oooo my wading boots should be here any min. now! YES! I'm gonna be set for winter steel this year!

This video talks about how to setup a centrifugal brake. It helped me on my Revo S. I run 2 pins enabled and am now in love with my Revo S. Just make sure you don't push the pins all the way out. The 2 pins should be snapped to the middle. No more backlashes since doing this. YouTube - Fishing - How to Cast a Bait Casting Reel

F
fish_4_all
The gear ratio is interesting to me. I never fight a fish with my reel. I thumb the bar lifting up and reel down to the fish and then do it again. Not sure a higher or lower gear rationi s gonna hurt me there, Can get down to the fish fast that way I think. I do think it will mess with my retrieve some throwing spinners/spoons/plugs but I will adapt to that.

It may be different someday and I may learn to fight a fish with the reel and not use my thumb. I have seen it done for tuna and Marlin but haven't fished for them, yet. Hell, I even hold my spinning reel spools at times to fight salmon so I guess I have a couple habits to break.

M
Mike123
FishAssassin said:
This video talks about how to setup a centrifugal brake. It helped me on my Revo S. I run 2 pins enabled and am now in love with my Revo S. Just make sure you don't push the pins all the way out. The 2 pins should be snapped to the middle. No more backlashes since doing this. YouTube - Fishing - How to Cast a Bait Casting Reel

That's what Im saying.. my Revo S doesn't have the centrifugal brake with the pins that you can clip in or out. It says "available on certain models."
My Pfluegar Trion does have that system though... I run 2 pins as well.

D
DirectDrive
Mike123 said:
That's what Im saying.. my Revo S doesn't have the centrifugal brake with the pins that you can clip in or out. It says "available on certain models."
My Pfluegar Trion does have that system though... I run 2 pins as well.
I don't own a Revo, but everything I'm seeing (2009 models) indicates that the Revo S is a 6-pin centrifugal reel including ABU's website.
Some of the Revo's however are "magnet reels" and these include the SX, STX and Premier, IIRC.

Push the weights inboard and they're off, push them out and they're on. You should feel a detent (click) as they pass over the "lock".
Out of the box a Shimano will have two weights engaged, Revo should be similar. Try it with two, if you're backlashing try three or more, evenly spaced around the clock if possible.

There is also a thrust plate under the little cap by the handle. You can apply a little pressure there if you're just learning. Mine are loose where I can feel a slight bit of endplay. Some prefer just enough tension here to allow a slow "test drop".

It's really all about the education of your thumb.

Edit:
Apparently there have been complaints that the Revo S manual doesn't cover the brake weight adjustment process very well.
You have to remove the sideplate opposite the crank. There is supposed to be one "thumb screw" that retains it. You may have to carefully use a screwdriver on it the first time.
Once that retainer screw is loose (it remains captive) rotate the sideplate counter-clockwise to remove the plate and expose the brake weights.. Use care, it's a plastic part.

Here's a pic of a Revo Winch which is supposed to have the same braking system as an S model.

Last edited by a moderator:
M
Mike123
Hmmmm..... I can't get the side cover off of mine?

F
fish_4_all
Well that one is out for me then. Not likely that I am gonna take the click plate off every time I need to adjust for a super light spinner or to a heavier weight just to get my casting distance and not huge bird nests.

M
Mike123
fish_4_all said:
Well that one is out for me then. Not likely that I am gonna take the click plate off every time I need to adjust for a super light spinner or to a heavier weight just to get my casting distance and not huge bird nests.

You don't have to... there is another adjustment right by the star drag just like any other baitcaster. But I'm wondering about how you get that cover off?
It doens't say in my little booklet it came with, and it says "on selected models" on the centrifugal brake system. I think the STX has a little clicker dial on the cover for the spool drag.

D
DirectDrive
Mike123 said:
You don't have to... there is another adjustment right by the star drag just like any other baitcaster. But I'm wondering about how you get that cover off?
It doens't say in my little booklet it came with, and it says "on selected models" on the centrifugal brake system. I think the STX has a little clicker dial on the cover for the spool drag.
I just edited my previous post with some more info on getting the sideplate off.
As mentioned, the STX is a "magnet reel" which means it has an external adjustment.
The SX and Premier are the other magnet versions of the Revo. I found a video taken inside a big box sports store explaining the differences in some of the Revos. ABU Garcia really need to create a comparison chart so we can easily identify which reel we want. Right now you have to chase all over.
I'll see if I can find that video.

ABU Garcia Revo video - Google Videos
Scroll down to "Lexington, Kentucky Bass Adventure"

Last edited:
F
FISHHEADMAFIA
garcia or shimmano . only way to go . reely . ( i made a funny )

M
Mike123
DirectDrive said:
I just edited my previous post with some more info on getting the sideplate off.
As mentioned, the STX is a "magnet reel" which means it has an external adjustment.
The SX and Premier are the other magnet versions of the Revo. I found a video taken inside a big box sports store explaining the differences in some of the Revos. ABU Garcia really need to create a comparison chart so we can easily identify which reel we want. Right now you have to chase all over.
I'll see if I can find that video.

ABU Garcia Revo video - Google Videos
Scroll down to "Lexington, Kentucky Bass Adventure"

Well I loosen the one pin up all the way and the side cover is just stuck on there!