New pontoon boat - fishing Hagg Lake

D
darthintel
Hello All !
I just purchased a new personal pontoon boat and a trolling motor , and want to try it out on Hagg lake . Also have a fish finder on the boat. I have a couple questions :
1. Where's the best location to put into the water with the least amount of walking / carrying - closest to best fishing ?
2. What's the best way to fish this lake ...with a fly rod and a wolly bugger - slowly trolling , or using a regular spin reel / rod with the wedding ring slayer ( black / green combo ) also slowly trollong?

Thanks in advance for responses .

G
GDBrown
Motorized Toon

Motorized Toon

darthintel said:
Hello All !
....2. What's the best way to fish this lake ...with a fly rod and a woolly bugger - slowly trolling , or using a regular spin reel / rod with the wedding ring slayer ( black / green combo ) also slowly trolling?

All of the above......

Before you put the toon on the water with a motor on it make sure you have registered your toon. The sheriff up there is not likely to give you a warning on that one.

I've heard conflicting reports about the invasive species permit too. If the boat is registered but has no motor on it are you required to have a personal permit like you would in a none powered toon? I have both a power boat and a drift boat so I end up paying twice.

GD

D
darthintel
I need to register an inflatable pontoon boat ? Is this done at the DMV ? Wow ....

L
Left Bank
Best places to put in with a toon are at either of the two docks. X2 on the success of both the wolly bugger and wedding ring.

G
GDBrown
darthintel said:
I need to register an inflatable pontoon boat ? Is this done at the DMV ? Wow ....

Only if you are putting a motor on it! Does not matter if it is gas powered or electric powered. And it is Not at DMV!

It is with the Oregon Marine Board. Do a search of the Oregon.gov site. There are several places to get it done without going to Salem. One is Harvey Marine on TV Hwy in Aloha. Not knowing were you are but your mentioning Hagg that is the closest place I can think of.

GD

D
darthintel
Thank you GD ....I'm in Beaverton ...so will stop by Harvey marine .

G
GDBrown
darthintel said:
Thank you GD ....I'm in Beaverton ...so will stop by Harvey marine .

The Boat place next to NAPA autoparts on TV Hwy, by the MAX tracks, can also do it.

troutdude
troutdude
darthintel said:
Hello All !
I just purchased a new personal pontoon boat and a trolling motor , and want to try it out on Hagg lake . Also have a fish finder on the boat. I have a couple questions :
1. Where's the best location to put into the water with the least amount of walking / carrying - closest to best fishing ?
2. What's the best way to fish this lake ...with a fly rod and a wolly bugger - slowly trolling , or using a regular spin reel / rod with the wedding ring slayer ( black / green combo ) also slowly trollong?

Thanks in advance for responses .

Just LOVE your user I.D. "Lord Intel"! LOL

T
the_intimidator03
GD Brown, Dont quote me but i do believe an invasive species permit is required on any craft 10ft or bigger motorized or not. It could be 15 feet but i think its 10.

Darthintel, Welcome to the forum Depending on the length of your toon, you will NEED it to be registered, Also possibly need invasive species permit

G
GDBrown
Hoping to clear the muddled waters

Hoping to clear the muddled waters

the_intimidator03 said:
GD Brown, Dont quote me but i do believe an invasive species permit is required on any craft 10ft or bigger motorized or not. It could be 15 feet but i think its 10.

Darthintel, Welcome to the forum Depending on the length of your toon, you will NEED it to be registered, Also possibly need invasive species permit

Your right, of coarse! I was pointing out that registering a boat now includes the $5 invasive species permit. Since a Toon is usually a human powered craft it would require a personal invasive species permit which is $7 and can be used on any human powered craft. (over 10 long as you point out) Registration is ONLY required for craft (Toon) that are powered by a motor.

D
darthintel
Update - I'm now an a proud owner of a 60 day Temporary Permit to operate a Boat ! Now I need a boat inspection :)

Change of plans for this week end .....going to Clear lake on Mt. Hood for the "maiden voyage " ......I'll provide an update upon my return . I don't see any reports on Clear Lake this year on this site .

W
wormosa
personally my opinion is to put in at dock A and stay behind the no wake zone, the skiiers and wake boarders have no respect for anyone in a smaller craft...

W
wormosa
the_intimidator03 said:

it is 10 feet or bigger

D
darthintel
Had a great time on the new pontoon boat at Clear lake . After figuring out how to use my flippers as a rudder while running the trolling motor - I could focus on fishing .
Caught 5 trout mid day ...using a orange tailed , Olive body bugger - and lost many others - as I think the bugger was too big. A Mayfly hatch started , so I switched over to a black nymph which worked well . I didn't try the wedding ring slayer .