New.. need some gear suggestions

Z
Zarick
Been reel fishing for most of my life.. mainly trout, but would like to expand into bass and other smallish fish.
However, what I really want to do is fly fish. I took the two hour intro course at Orvis. It was a good course, but I cannot afford a $400-$600 rig to get started.
But I also don't want something cheap that is going to break or make the sport unfun.
It would appear I am looking to get an 8-9' 5wt setup.
Been to Dick's, Orvis, Big 5, Sportsmans outdoor.. looking.. and see all price points.
Lost as where to get started.

Thoughts?

J
john montana
I'd look at Echo...great rods, lots of price options, and they make inexpensive reels. You can get a nice echo set up with reel and line without breaking the bank.

I'd personally buy a 6 wt before a 5. You can do a lot with a 6 wt. Actually...if i could only have ONE weight for the state of OR, i'd buy a 7 wt. You can pretty much use a 7 for anything though you will be overgunned a bit on the crooked! hah...

good luck!

Reactions: halibuthitman
S
Spydeyrch
Welcome to OFF!!!! Glad to have you aboard. :dance:

I would agree with John on the Echo side of things. But I got a 5wt and have loved it!! I started out with a 5wt as my first fly rod. Also, Echo is just up in Vancouver, so semi-local.

If you want a good starting rod, go with the Echo Solo. I think it runs for like $99. A 9' 5wt is what I got and I have used it on small streams, lakes, the deschutes, bass, trout, pan fish, etc. For a reel, you could go with the Echo Solo reel, I think they are like $35. It isn't the "best" reel out there but it serves it purpose and does it well all with out breaking the bank.

Then you need line, leaders, etc etc etc.. The list goes on and on. hahahaha :lol:

If you decide to go with Echo's Solo rod and reel, just get their Solo startup package. It runs for $170. It gets you the rod (Echo Solo), rod sock, rod case, reel (Echo Solo), backing, fly line, and a tapered leader.

The only thing that I don't like about the Echo Solo Reel is that it is a Resin reel. Meaning it is just a type of hard plastic. If you upgrade and go with the Echo Ion reel, it will set you back around $80 but they are great reels!! I have an Echo Ion on my 1wt and one on my 7wt swtich. Great reels for the price!!

Also, all echo's products have a sweet lifetime guarantee!!! Can't go wrong with them, really.

Good luck and have fun man!!

-Spydey

P.S. Where are you at roughly? Perhaps directing you to a good fly shop outfit near your location will help you get on the right track. :D Just a thought ....

Last edited:
Z
Zarick
I am on the SE side near Gresham in Portland.
My preference would be to stay away from resin reels. Cheap reels never seem to be worth it.
Also the reason I say 5wt is because I want to feel the fish. My worry with a 6 is that you get one of those farm trout on it and hardly be able to tell.
But I am not opposed to considering a 6wt.
Have you guys seen those Wright & McGill s curve fly rods at Dicks? are they any good?

Also.. where do I find Echos as I have not seen them.

S
Spydeyrch
Zarick said:
I am on the SE side near Gresham in Portland.
My preference would be to stay away from resin reels. Cheap reels never seem to be worth it.
Also the reason I say 5wt is because I want to feel the fish. My worry with a 6 is that you get one of those farm trout on it and hardly be able to tell.
But I am not opposed to considering a 6wt.
Have you guys seen those Wright & McGill s curve fly rods at Dicks? are they any good?

Also.. where do I find Echos as I have not seen them.

So I don't know any fly shops around that area. :think: Hopefully someone can chime in and recommend one.

Yeah, resin based isn't really that good. They are cheap so that is a redeeming quality. But I would recommend an Echo Ion reel. It is a great starting reel and not too expensive.

It is your decision about the wt of your rod. I like staying on the odd number side of things (does that mean I am odd???? :think: :lol:), thus I went with the 5wt.

I have seen the Wrigth & McGill S Curve rods there. I wiggled them a little but haven't cast them. So I can't give you a good opinion about them. But I didn't like them too much. I think that Dick's also sells some Redington rods, right? Those are some good rods too.

But my opinion is to stay with Echo. Just my opinion though.

Once you get to a fly shop, you can find out if they sell echo products. The majority of them do.

One thing I would totally recommend, is get to the fly shop, pick a few rods based upon price, wt, length, and recommendations (made here and at the fly shop) and then ask to cast them. We could give you recommendations all you want but once you actually cast them, you won't know if you really do like the feel, weight, price, action, etc. Casting it is going to be a key aspect of making an educated decision.

Have fun with it man!! :dance:

-Spydey

Last edited:
Z
Zarick
I played around at the Orvis shop for a while. I felt like I was getting poorer just picking rods up.

S
Spydeyrch
Zarick said:
I played around at the Orvis shop for a while. I felt like I was getting poorer just picking rods up.

Hahahaha. :lol:

I know what you mean, hahahahahahaha.

Good luck man.

-Spydey

S
steelhead_slayer
I think 5wt is a good weight for trout fishing, but wouldn't worry about not being able to feel a little fish on a 6wt. Fly rods provide lots of sensitivity. I suggest getting a rod with a lifetime warranty. Its with the investment. I went with echo last time I bought a rod. They are one of the cheaper brands that provide a lifetime warranty, and they are durable

J
john montana
Feeling the fish won't be a problem. you want to get a tool that will cover a wide range of methods for your first rod (you can and will specialize later). Casting a deer hair popper for bass on a 5 wt is tough. Keep in mind it isn't just about the size of the fish, but the type of rig you are casting. a 2 fly rig with split shot and an indicator (standard on the deschutes) casts better with a 6 wt than a 5. there really is no easy solution. I started with a 5 living in MT (only trout basically) but here in OR I would go bigger. a 7 lets a guy chase steelhead, carp, coho, bass, and just about anything else that swims out here...but would be a little bigger than you want for small streams etc. i guess you just need to figure out what you are going to spend the most time doing and match accordingly. tough one!

Listen to spidy though...go to a fly shop (river city is a good one). try a bunch of rods. don't buy without casting.

S
Spydeyrch
john montana said:
Feeling the fish won't be a problem. you want to get a tool that will cover a wide range of methods for your first rod (you can and will specialize later). Casting a deer hair popper for bass on a 5 wt is tough. Keep in mind it isn't just about the size of the fish, but the type of rig you are casting. a 2 fly rig with split shot and an indicator (standard on the deschutes) casts better with a 6 wt than a 5. there really is no easy solution. I started with a 5 living in MT (only trout basically) but here in OR I would go bigger. a 7 lets a guy chase steelhead, carp, coho, bass, and just about anything else that swims out here...but would be a little bigger than you want for small streams etc. i guess you just need to figure out what you are going to spend the most time doing and match accordingly. tough one!

Very well stated. John has some great advice there. :clap:

john montana said:
Listen to spidy though...go to a fly shop (river city is a good one). try a bunch of rods. don't buy without casting.

I was going to recommend him to River City but being as he is out in SE Portland near Gresham, that is kind of a long drive for a fly shop ..... at least I would think so.

-Spydey

Z
Zarick
Think I am going to hit fisherman's marine in OC.
There is also Northwest fly on Halsey near me.

I
igquick
And most importantly, MAKE SURE ITS A RIGHT HANDED REEL IF YOU ARE RIGHT HANDED

Dont do the same thing I did....i had to re spool my fly fishing reel so it would be more adequate for a righty...i dont know how it is for other fly fishing reels but, mine can't be turned into a righty by just taking out the handle and connecting it on the opposite side like a spinning reel

Z
Zarick
Usually for spinning rods the retrieve is on the left if you are right handed. Is that not the same for fly?

I
igquick
First off i think my entire setup is 50 bucks, which is a lot to me...my carp fishing setup is 50 bucks....anyways, when i first put together my setup, i noticed the reel was on the right side....its not a problem for me now since i fixed it, and im able to catch sunfish and bass and fish in general so thats good enough for me...thats my two cents

S
Spydeyrch
Zarick said:
Usually for spinning rods the retrieve is on the left you are right handed. Is that not the same for fly?

I am right handed. I cast with my right arm. All my fly rods, with the exception of my cane rod, have been setup for a left hand retrieve. I prefer it that way. That way I don't have to switch the rod from one hand to another after casting/hooking a fish to use the reel. With some simple practice, you can reel with your left hand ... no biggie. :D

-Spydey

P.S. I would say that the majority of all reels can be switched from left to right hand retrieve and vice-versa. Just make sure that when you purchase the setup and before you have the lines wound on, you tell them that you want either left hand or right hand retrieve. That should do the trick.

Last edited:
T
TimberTodd
Welcome to OFF Zarick. I have 2 Wright McGill S curve rods. A 5wt and 3 wt. They are matched with the Wright McGill Dragonfly reels. I really like them. I bought them from Don at RiverCity. I also have 2 Echo setups and really like them. A flyshop should let you cast several makes/models to see which one is right for you.

Z
Zarick
Thanks Todd (that is my name so I feel like I am speaking to myself).
What do you like better... the echo or the wright?

T
TimberTodd
My Echos are 7 & 8 wts. that I bought for steelhead and bass. For their intended applications, I am very satisfied with all 4.

Z
Zarick
Okay. I have a question.
I got an echo solo in my hands at Fishermans Marine.
It has completely different guides than all the other poles. The other poles were all using S style guides and the echo solo used loop style guides.
What difference does that make?

Also.. noted cabelas has the echo solo with a cabelas prestige premium reel and line for $190. Seems like that might be a better deal for a slightly better reel.. and finally they also have an echo carbon with prestige rls+ reel for $250. Worth the diff?

N
n8r1
Among my small collection of fly rods I have an Echo Carbon 3wt and a W&M S Curve 5wt. The latter was my first fly rod and I picked it up from River City Fly in Beaverton. The whole package cost me about $150 and included rod, reel, line, backing, leader, indicators, flies, and a few other trinkets. Great value to get everything you need to start out. Don was kind enough to give me a dozen flies for free to get me started as well. If you are willing to drive across town, River City is a great place to get started.

That being said, I like my Echo 3wt better and use it exclusively when fishing for coastal trout. I don't use the W&M much anymore.