New kayak all rigged up. Sik

J
Jdangler xD
Recently bought an old town kayak. Trip 10 similar to the vapor. Lowrance mark 4.
Lets talk fishing! Make a trip out of it!
image.jpgimage.jpg

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent, what locations do you plan to fish?

my dog and I are heading for Siltcoos today in my PA12 to practice pulling plugs and tossing poppers, maybe find an SRC or 2...but mostly getting out on a beautiful day to loop around the entire lake with a side trip up the Fiddle Creek arm...cheers, roger

Forum note- you can also post kayak related stuff under the "Boats and Motors" sub-forum...

bass
bass
Looking good!

You need to make yourself an anchor system for sturgeon fishing. I basically use the bsteeves system on NWKA (you can google that and find it). I use two large crab floats for the times when I am anchoring in deep water in and current is strong. If you are fishing moderate current and not too deep then you can get away with one float. Nothing sadder though than seeing someone drop anchor and watching there float disappear as the current drags it under. I have not had this happen since I err on the side of too much float, but I have watched it happen to others.

However, right now you can fish Swan Island without an anchor and just hold your position with your paddle. Using 4-6oz of lead acts like a mini-anchor for the kayak. It is a pretty fun way to fish when they are biting.

J
Jdangler xD
bass said:
Looking good!

You need to make yourself an anchor system for sturgeon fishing. I basically use the bsteeves system on NWKA (you can google that and find it). I use two large crab floats for the times when I am anchoring in deep water in and current is strong. If you are fishing moderate current and not too deep then you can get away with one float. Nothing sadder though than seeing someone drop anchor and watching there float disappear as the current drags it under. I have not had this happen since I err on the side of too much float, but I have watched it happen to others.

However, right now you can fish Swan Island without an anchor and just hold your position with your paddle. Using 4-6oz of lead acts like a mini-anchor for the kayak. It is a pretty fun way to fish when they are biting.
i have an anchor trolley. I Also have two anchors. One little 1lb claw for ponds and wind. Then I have a piece of chain that's heavier duty I can replace the little one with. I like how the line has the float on it. That's smart.

Last edited:
J
Jdangler xD
rogerdodger said:
excellent, what locations do you plan to fish?

my dog and I are heading for Siltcoos today in my PA12 to practice pulling plugs and tossing poppers, maybe find an SRC or 2...but mostly getting out on a beautiful day to loop around the entire lake with a side trip up the Fiddle Creek arm...cheers, roger

Forum note- you can also post kayak related stuff under the "Boats and Motors" sub-forum...
Thanks roger about the sub forum, and I plan on fishing swan on Sunday and then ima fish some local ponds and map the bottom. Eventually I want to float the upper W and some other rivers but for now I'm getting used to the yak. I would never anchor in deep current, I'm still too fresh to the kayak game.

F
flocaster
Uber jealous bro