New here, Sandy river nymph fishing?

S
SeamLeak
Hey all,
I'm new here. I've been lurking around for a while and just made a profile. Lots of good info on here! I was curious if there has been anybody out on the sandy nymphing for Salmon/Steelhead? I went once a couple of weeks ago and hooked up with good size Ho before my leader snapped! Any tips or tricks? Thanks friends.:)

C
Cake
SeamLeak said:
Hey all,
I'm new here. I've been lurking around for a while and just made a profile. Lots of good info on here! I was curious if there has been anybody out on the sandy nymphing for Salmon/Steelhead? I went once a couple of weeks ago and hooked up with good size Ho before my leader snapped! Any tips or tricks? Thanks friends.:)

If you allready hooked one I would suggest you do what you did to hook that one.
Use a heavyer leader next time.

Someone will take this reply wrong and send me a letter about my rudeness.

H
halibuthitman
sounded like a good idea to me cake... I was gonna suggest switching to a glob of roe and a bobber.. he he, I don't know about the nymphin but the 3 times I hit sandy near the hatchery I did pretty good swinging a black egg sucking leech, thats just my food stamp worth though...

R
redhawk50
I have lost my fair share of nymphs bouncing them through some boulder areas on the Sandy. It is a good way to fish some different areas that are not swingable.

T
tetontrouthunter
I am visiting and trying to figure out this salmon?steelhead game. I only have single handed rods with me so I have been doing some swinging but mainly Nymphing I landed a nice native steelhead my first day at Dodge on a single Bead. been hooking mainly white fish with prince nymphs talked to a guy that got a nice coho on a caddis pupa. The problem I have been having is any of the small channels I have been fishing on the sandy are filled with spawning salmon. I have been trying to avoid these fish and trying to find more steelhead or holding salmon but that has been a very frustrating four days.

H
halibuthitman
tetontrouthunter said:
I am visiting and trying to figure out this salmon?steelhead game. I only have single handed rods with me so I have been doing some swinging but mainly Nymphing I landed a nice native steelhead my first day at Dodge on a single Bead. been hooking mainly white fish with prince nymphs talked to a guy that got a nice coho on a caddis pupa. The problem I have been having is any of the small channels I have been fishing on the sandy are filled with spawning salmon. I have been trying to avoid these fish and trying to find more steelhead or holding salmon but that has been a very frustrating four days.

start reading the water like you would a trout stream, and fish them the same... this time of year they hang in faster water and tailouts eatin eggs.. if you see salmon spawning, fish the water behind them, and stick with the bead the picture is of my fall steelhead weapon.

Last edited by a moderator:
M
Mike123
halibuthitman said:
start reading the water like you would a trout stream, and fish them the same... this time of year they hang in faster water and tailouts eatin eggs.. if you see salmon spawning, fish the water behind them, and stick with the bead the picture is of my fall steelhead weapon.

Nice! I like those! Nice color combo! :clap:

I'd like to drift fish those things!

I did well last winter on Flame/Salmon egg color yarn flies/glo bugs drift fished.

H
halibuthitman
they are called a "harry Garcia" and they slay on the wilson, I tie them in a wool headed sculpin as well... but they don't fish as well.

M
Mike123
halibuthitman said:
they are called a "harry Garcia" and they slay on the wilson, I tie them in a wool headed sculpin as well... but they don't fish as well.

Im sure if they slay on the Wilson winters they would slay on any winters!

T
tetontrouthunter
I have been nymphing a bunch the last couple of days and just seem to be catching white fish. does this mean any thing? any ideas on the relationship between white fish and steelhead.

B
beaverfan
I believe Whitefish are a member of the trout family.

H
halibuthitman
both slurp eggs, both love cold medium to fast current, and both fight pretty dang good.... if you insist on nymph fishing go to fred meyers buy a can of pink surveyers marker paint and paint all of them pink, cause fish are still spawning in the systems and the eggs and flesh is what the steel are dialed into... or you could switch to yarn or anything else that mimicks eggs or flesh, nymphs will come into play better when the 2.6 million salmon are done squirting the finest meal on earth all over the river bottom.... your trying to sell crawdads at a king crab feed...

T
tetontrouthunter
have been getting the white fish on egg paterns mainly single beads and glow bugs. just one steelhesd for a week of fishing is getting frustrating. I would think a top predator like a steelhead would push out the white fish from a run or pool.

H
halibuthitman
are you seeing fish???? if there is 1 steelhead and 15 whitefish the odds are against you... there may not be fish where your fishing.