New guy to forum and surf fishing....

T
Tyman729
Sup guys my name is Tyler and I'm a Eugene native. I'm novice fishermen and I hope that o can learn a bunch from this group. I recently got a surf rod and I'm pretty much hooked; yeah I only got too use it for half a day, but it was so relaxing walking the beach and casting into the surf. I probably walked a mile before I realized I left my stuff behind. I definitely have a lot to learn about rigging and when and where to fish. Definitely the science behind getting the right tackle would help lol. Because of the fishing restrictions I haven't done much fishing in the valley other than ponds, but I see my self feeling to the coast more now with my jeep, mountain bike and surf rod.

What kind of waders do most of you guys use?
What kind of fish could I expect in the surf? Other than surf Perch?
Any books out there that are helpful?

S
sapo
Welcome to the forum! I don't use waders when surf fishing..lol seriously I don't! You'll get numb eventually.

Surf perch are definitely the main thing you'll catch in the surf, but I've seen guys catching other stuff..I think greenling might be in the surf? Jetties definitely have a big variety of fish, I don't see why those fish wouldn't be in the surf.

As for surf perch books, I have no idea. Surf perch aren't very hard to catch so there's probably not too many books on them.

E
Eoughphily
I got my chest waders from cabelas. Went upstairs to the clearance section and picked them up for $65. Instead of surf fishing you should be heading to the coast doing some salmon fishing. There's isn't much to it and once you get your first catch, you will so be addicted. I can walk you through everything you need (which isn't much). If you have patience you're halfway there...lol

O
osmosis
There's some guy on youtube called fishing with jd that has a pretty sweet surf perch tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC7VzbkABV8

I use a double hook system with two 3way swivels and a pyramid on the bottom, instead of the egg sinker that he uses in the video, though.

I get mostly red tail perch in sand only sections, and striped surf perch and kelp greenling around rocky structures. Using the jetties will put you closer to other pelagics like black rockfish and cabezon or ling cod as well as others.

You can use whatever waders you have, although sand and gravel inside your boots wrecks the neoprene socks, so you may want to buy extra cuffs or buy waders with attached boots.

P
pinstriper
No need for waders in the summer. Water socks are more than sufficient to protect your feet from stepping on a rock or hook or whatever.

In fact, at other times you really won't need to be deeper than your knees, so a cheap set of hip boots from Bimart would do the trick.

I use packaged crappie rigs for perch in the surf and black rockfish near jetties. Works a treat, less tying.

T
Tyman729
What kind of rig would you throw off a jetty?

B
billfisher
^ Fords! :D

P
pinstriper
Tyman729 said:
What kind of rig would you throw off a jetty?

Depends on how close you can get to the water and how you can keep clear of the rocks. The can be snaggy. My rockfishing has been from a kayak next to the jetty and I used the crappie rig and minnows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B
BaldTexan
billfisher said:

What?!! Recant and confess!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T
Tyman729
T
Tyman729
What would you use on the rocks? I'm a total noooooob. I was hoping to be in Florence Sunday...... But that's not happening.

B
billfisher
I'd use a bobber and a white jig and or gulp worms

C
Chumandgetit
I love surf perch fishing. I found the best time to fish for them is a few hours after the low tide all the way to high slack. I usually show up at low tide to find a steeper beach or a beach with pits or wash outs in it. When the tide comes in fish those. 2" gulp sand worms knock'em dead. As for gear I use one of my 9' 8-12lb steelhead rods with 8lb test, Carolina rig with 1oz egg weight, approx. 30" leader and #4 hook. Hope this helps!

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Today Florence got there at top of tide and lost both my sinkers but I did manage dinner! DSCN0703.jpgDSCN0706.jpg