New fisher

T
trevor
Hello, my name is Trevor and I am new to the northwest fishing forum and fishing.
I have fished for trout when camping with my dad at lost lake and frog lake, and caught some trout.
Two weeks ago my dad got me Salmon tags and took me to Dodge park, my dad doesn't fish and didn't know what I would need.
We spent most of the day loosing lures and asking fishermen to show me what I needed to do, I also borrowed some books from Scott, Illustrated Rigging by Robert Campbell, and river salmon fishing by Bill Stinson.
I have learned how to tie good knots from the book that don't break.
Last weekend my dad took me again, and we had better fishing tacle and rigging, we saw 9Salmon caught but never got a bite, again today same place from 8am until noon and didn't even see a fish jump, my dad thinks we have missed the best fishing for this year, but said my casting and rigging looks more like the other guys fishin now, I want to learn how to catch Salmon.

I have some questions I hope someone will answer for me.
Is it a good idea going with a fishing guide to learn how to fish, and is it expensive.

Are there some good guides in this area?

Is the best fishing on the Sandy river over for this year ?

Thank you, Trevor.

M
Markcanby
I ma no expert on salmon but I do know the fishing will be on an off for the next 6 months or so. As for a guide that is a good idea. I have been planning ti do the same. Ground Pounders is a bank guide here on the forum that I have heard a lot of good things about.

F
fishingfreak
Markcanby said:
I ma no expert on salmon but I do know the fishing will be on an off for the next 6 months or so. As for a guide that is a good idea. I have been planning ti do the same. Ground Pounders is a bank guide here on the forum that I have heard a lot of good things about.

I agree with you he is an awesome guide. Just PM Metalfisher76, he is the man.

FF

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF and to Oregon fishing. I have fished this great state for about 45 years, and love it. I know you will too. Keep reading good books on the subject. And I know there there our other great guides on here; and some that fellow OFF'ers can/will recommend. Good luck and tight lines.

F
Fishtopher
Welcome to OFF!

T
trevor
Thank you for the replies, are Ground pounder and metal fisher 76 the same person or two different guides,

F
Fishtopher
One in the same. Heckuva good guy. Outstanding fisherman too.

kirkster
kirkster
Welcome aboard' One thing to remember when shopping for a guide tell them what your wanting up front. Such as if you just want to catch fish or you want to focus on learning the propper technics and that the guide you hire is willing to concentrate on teaching you how to fish rather than just catching you fish. I do know if you can afford 150 to 200 bucks for a guide. is cheap compared to the thousands you could spend trying to learn on your own. Because a good guide can teach you in 8 hours what could take years to learn otherwise. Because practice doesn't make perfect but perfect practice can.

B
bigsteel
trevor said:
Hello, my name is Trevor and I am new to the northwest fishing forum and fishing.
I have fished for trout when camping with my dad at lost lake and frog lake, and caught some trout.
Two weeks ago my dad got me Salmon tags and took me to Dodge park, my dad doesn't fish and didn't know what I would need.
We spent most of the day loosing lures and asking fishermen to show me what I needed to do, I also borrowed some books from Scott, Illustrated Rigging by Robert Campbell, and river salmon fishing by Bill Stinson.
I have learned how to tie good knots from the book that don't break.
Last weekend my dad took me again, and we had better fishing tacle and rigging, we saw 9Salmon caught but never got a bite, again today same place from 8am until noon and didn't even see a fish jump, my dad thinks we have missed the best fishing for this year, but said my casting and rigging looks more like the other guys fishin now, I want to learn how to catch Salmon.

I have some questions I hope someone will answer for me.
Is it a good idea going with a fishing guide to learn how to fish, and is it expensive.

Are there some good guides in this area?

Is the best fishing on the Sandy river over for this year ?

Thank you, Trevor.

go with metalfisher76,his name is Damon..every time weve gone with him it has paid off..he always knows where the fish are at and how to get them.