New fisher needing help understanding regulations

P
Patrick_R
Hey Guys!

I always went fishing with my father in Texas who understood regulations like the back of his hand. Alas Me being in Oregon alone now I have to learn how to read regulations myself. But they are just overwhelming to my eyes. I am ready to get back into the game and catch something other than lake trout I just need your help.

What could i go out and bank fish for in St Helens Oregon this week and be allowed to retain.

to be honest
I have been dreaming about catching my first sturgeon for years. I have been skunked now for 2 years in a row. (Due to my gear of course :whistle:) Are they available for retention or at least catch and release in my location this week?

I think so based on my understanding and reading but I don't want a ticket lol.

I'm just paranoid about making a mistake!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Troutski
Troutski
Try calling your local ODFW office... they will give you all the help you need. Here is one office in you area..
Best of luck on the water.
North Willamette Watershed District Office
(Regional Office)
17330 SE Evelyn Street
Clackamas, OR 97015
Tel: 971-673-6000 Fax: (971)-673-6070

A lot of professional advice can keep you within the law.

Chuck

S
SturgeonSurgeon
Hey Pat I live in St. Helens and I fish damn near everyday. I can show ya around and teach ya the reg books if ya would like....Let me know...

E
eggs
Do you have your decoder ring? The only way to read the Columbia regs is with a decoder ring!

F
fredaevans
Troutski said:
Try calling your local ODFW office... they will give you all the help you need. Here is one office in you area..
Best of luck on the water.
North Willamette Watershed District Office
(Regional Office)
17330 SE Evelyn Street
Clackamas, OR 97015
Tel: 971-673-6000 Fax: (971)-673-6070

A lot of professional advice can keep you within the law.

Chuck

+1 BUT!!!!!! DO log into OFG and watch for Regulation 'up-dates.' Game plan can change at any time .... I kid you NOT!

fae

C
Cowboykid8
Patrick, Check out the recreation report on ODFW's web site. For the Columbia river it breaks down what you can catch and keep. For all of the Columbia you can catch and release year round. Right now around St. Helens you can keep Thursday, Friday, and Saturday with a fork length 38-54". If you haven't already cruise through the other sturgeon posts, and try searching youtube for other ideas.

T
Toyracer38
If your a bank bound angler like me, the St. Helens docks are a great place. Unfortunatly, it's a great place! Effective February 1 - April 30, 2012 angling is prohibited for all species in the area from a line between the upstream end of Sand Island and a marker on the Oregon shoreline, downstream to a line between the lower end of Sand Island and a marker on the Oregon shoreline. Gotta love Oregon! If ya got a boat, there is a good hole on the Washington side of Sand Island. There is a marker tower on the Washington side of the river and the hole is maybe 50 yards off the bank from it.

I've been fishing Diblee's beach in Rainier for metalheads and nooks until I can get back to the docks. Steelys are still outnumbering the nooks, but that should change pretty soon.

T
Toyracer38
I was out at the docks yesterday and there is just to much water coming down the river. 12 ounces of lead wouldn't hold bottom! If ya still need help with the reg's, just holler. Think I will try Prescott tomoz.