New fish finder

R
Redfox458
Well, took my boat out about a week ago and watched the screen on my OLD Garmin Fishfinder 240 die in front of my face. Took it in to Fisherman's in Oregon City and they too couldn't breathe any more life back into my old friend. So now I am looking to purchase another one, but there are SO many options out there now. I've got a 15' Smokercraft that is used to fish salmon, steelhead, sturgeon and also lakes for trout, bass, and kokanee. I'm looking for something very simple to use, and not too expensive. Not looking for a GPS plotter or anything super fancy - something that will accurately show depth and location of fish would be helpful. As much as the very detailed sonar ones go - they are tempting, but also very expensive. Anybody have any ideas of what to get? Any personal favorites? Thanks in advance!

bass
bass
Whatever you buy I would getting the best screen that you are willing to buy. The bigger (higher definition) screens keep the images on the screen longer (less likely to miss something). Also, they are great for splitting between a zoomed in view and the full view. I got a Humminbird 597ci HD DI last summer and I have really loved it. I know this is fancier than what you are looking for but I would say one of the things I really like is the width and definition of the screen.

Best of luck.

M
mosd
ive got the lowrance elite 7 broadband combo, i love love it.. i really dont use the broadband unless im trolling in unfamiliar waters (bays, tidal estuaries)and want to know where the snags areat.. but for the best bang for the buck i would deffantly look into that

M
mikeredding
I agree with mosd. The Lowrance Elite 7 is the best feature packed unit the money can buy. Cabelas offers it without GPS for $549 or with GPS for $699. I know you said that you don't need it but you may want to consider it. Just the waypoint feature alone is worth the extra $$.

I was the same as you a few years ago, thinking that it wasn't necessary. I finally upgraded and have caught WAY more fish by being able to return to pin point locations that have proven to hold fish. I have learned that you may think that you are in the same spot but off by 5-6' and you cannot catch fish.

bass
bass
Sorry, but Humminbird definitely offers a lot more bang for the buck than Lowrance. The $699 has the same features as the HB 597ci HD DI. The HB is $455 on Amazon right now.

- The 7" screen of the Lowrance is 800x480, the 5" screen of the HB is 640x640. HB has same pixels but Lowrance has more width in pixels. Slight edge to Lowrance.
- Both have GPS
- Lowrance has 83/200 2D sonar, HB has 200/455 2-D sonar. Slight edge to Lowrance.
- Both have 455/800 down imaging.
- Lowrance is 3100W pk 250W RMS, HB is 4000W pk, 500W RMS
- Both have 50-channel GPS.

So, as I see it the extra $250 does not buy you much. I would recommend looking around at all the new units in any price range. At $699 you can buy a Raymarine Dragonfly with a chirp sonar. Not sure if it is any better than Lowrance or HB, but worth checking out if you are going that high.

Overall, I know HB offers a B&W unit with 2-D and DI sonar for under $200. Base on your original requirements this might be just the ticket.

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Sonars.....

Sonars.....

I am a Humminbird man myself, not that the other brands aren't excellent but I started with a Humminbird and over the years I have grown to trust them and the quality is built in. This being said set a price you are willing to spend and see what is in your range, get the most bang for your buck. I believe all the manufactures basic models will fit your needs, Cabelas has a comparison chart on their web site and will show you what is out there and the price.
Best of luck and remember mankind has been catching fish a lot longer than sonars have been around.... Tight lines!!!

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=Sonar+comparison+chart&x=10&y=5&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Chuck

bass
bass
I am not a Humminbird man. My last sonar was a Lowrance. I just meticulously look at all the option/price trade offs and pick what I feel gives the most bang for the buck. However one thing that I would consider is in a tie is that at the moment HB seems to have much better customer service. I did hear that Lowrance is improving a lot in this area, but for now it seems that HB has the edge.

R
Redfox458
So many more options than I guess I was originially aware of. I had looked at a few on the shelf at Fisherman's, then I looked online at Cabela's and Bass Pro and realized all of the options. I am reminded again, because of your posts, why I like OFF so much. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a great fisherman, but now contemplating the GPS feature and actual sonar - would be nice to be able to see an underwater "picture" as well as the exact location of where I was fishing before.....this sport is nothing but cheap, especially when it comes to boating gear! Thank you to all who have responded, I have valued all of your responses!! My hunt continues.....