New feature: best fly rivers in Oregon

troutdude
troutdude
My friend, at Best Fishing in Oregon (a spin-OFF of the classic book "Fishing in Oregon") just posted this information, on his Facebook page as follows.

"Oregon has a wealth of fly fishing streams, so what follows makes only a dimple on the surface of its many excellent fisheries.

First, a little business: You will find that we have tackled this huge topic by dividing the state into geographic areas that loosely (but not entirely) follow the boundaries of one or more of the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife’s zones. For example, we broke the inter-connected Klamath Basin rivers off from the massive Southeast Zone so we could better highlight more of the zone’s rich fisheries. As another example, we combined three fishing zones across Western Oregon that aren’t as well known as their east-side counterparts as trout fisheries, but some of them not only are fantastic for trout but also have strong runs of steelhead and salmon.

In each area, we highlight one incredible river but also give a brief profile of other streams that at certain times may be every bit as good (possibly better) than our spotlighted destination. There is a plenty of room for opinion here.

As elsewhere on this site, following the links within the main article will take you to additional information about that topic. We are adding more of those all the time.

Without further delay, here are Oregon’s best fly fishing rivers:"

http://www.bestfishinginamerica.com/or-best-fly-fishing-rivers-in-oregon.html

A
amnis
good article!
Although the Owyhee section is incorrect: "The best angling here is in the fall, and good fishing can continue through winter (weather allowing) and into the spring."

Not true-some of the worst fishing is in the fall, and it's when the browns are spawning so not a great time to fish either.

The summer (July-September) is the best, followed by the Spring (esp in March), followed by the Winter/Fall

Otherwise, great article!

troutdude
troutdude
Amnis...

I should've mentioned that, Eric is open to suggestions, discussion, etc. I'll see if I can get him, to log on here...and follow along. But do feel free, to contact him via Facebook (at least, if you would like to do so).

S
sapo
sent him a message on Facebook!

J
JonT
I like that article very much. It doesn't even mention my favorites. :peaceful:

S
sapo
lol jon..you must fish some strange rivers

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
JonT said:
I like that article very much. It doesn't even mention my favorites. :peaceful:

Same. Thankfully he didn't even touch on small waters with fragile fisheries. The new regulations for 2016 are a blessing and a curse - many waters that have been strictly C&R with a 5 month season are opening up to year round angling, with a 5 month retention season. I am excited none the less. Winter trout fishing without 70-200 miles of driving!