New drift boat looking for nice starter drifts.

B
bigd610
Anybody here know some good drifts for a newbie that are fishing now or really soon. Just went out and bought me a new drift boat and really need to learn to operate it. I have messed around a little bit with it but am very green when it comes to operating one of these. what we have is a 16ft Pavati warrior. what we are looking for is some good water to fish for either Steelhead or Chinook We don't mind traveling a bit (under 100 miles) from Eugene area. So if anybody has any good ideas of where is some easy drifts let me know. Or if anybody out here wants to go fishing with us there will be plenty of room. However be warned we are very new to this and are not very good at fishing.....But were learning. Alos we are planning on going out a lot so as many drifts as you can think of. Thank you in advance for your help.

R
RoryONeal
I just bought myself a Willies a year or so ago and I just started out on lakes to get the rowing down and learn the boat a little. I've only been on two real river floats though and I would like to change that. The first drift I did was from a boat launch off the River Road area in Eugene down to Harrisburg. It was a long float but not many water hazards to worry about.

P
plumb2fish
Try starting at day island park in Springfield and taking out at d st...only about a half mile...you can learn to maneuver the boat as well as set up for a rapid....the rapid is behind roaring rapids pizza parlour...it is an easy run,and you can catch fish there as well...also you can do it several timesn a day. After you get that one down, try Alton baker park to belt line...this will take longer has fish and you will learn to read water ...

S
steelhead_stalkers
What he said!

Nice choice on the boat, they don't get any better than a Pavati!

B
bigd610
Went out with Kyle at Willamette Valley Outfitters a few times and loved his boat so much I had to get my own, only then did I realize I have no experience on the water.....I never understood that cart before the horse saying anyway

P
plumb2fish
Feel free to shoot me a pm, I love to fish, have been known to accidentally catch a few, and can row a boat....

Reactions: eugene1
E
eugene1
Congrats on the new drift boat! Pavati is nice, but too bad you didn't get a Koffler like Kyle's old boat. J/k.

The day island park to d st. in Springfield is a pretty easy run as long as you get lined up right at the rapids that plumb mentioned. Just stay to the pizza parlor side and you'll be fine, it looks intimidating, but it's fairly deep. Still best to go with a buddy who can row you down it first tho, I'd suggest you give a pm to plumb.

Nice thing about that particular drift is that it's short so you can go before or after work, not a big deal at all. Plus you can hook into some summers or even a nook.

Best,

Y
Yogidabear
Here is a link to willie drift boat basics, just keep your doors shut on your pavati and you will be fine :) I have a 17x 54 willie and have run the d street run and have been down the hendricks to bellinger a thousand times in years past. I don't know the shape of that run this year but it has been easy before.

Y
Yogidabear
Hey that stump wasn't there last year, where is that , past green gravel?? when was the last time you cleaned your boat out :) jk

R
rippin fish lips
Green Gravel??

Green Gravel??

Yogidabear said:
Hey that stump wasn't there last year, where is that , past green gravel?? when was the last time you cleaned your boat out :) jk

Salmon racks. Where walterville/power house canal flows out into the river. just barely half way through the float. And yeah the stump is a new edition this year. You remember the old channel???

Looking up the old channel.

IMG_0391-3_zps4a6ec312.jpg

R
rippin fish lips
You can even just put in at D street and row around the flat calm area for your first time too.

B
bigd610
Thank you too everbody for your help it is appreciated. Hope to see you guys on the river

J
JeannaJigs
Alton baker to beltline is a good fool proof (mostly) easy float, with some good water that's been known to harbor some salmonids ;) I float it all the time during the early season 'cause the takeout it about a mile from my house, and it's pretty convenient. That said...it's still very weird for me to fish in town...I like to get away from the urban sprawl and passed out bums. definitely go with someone that knows what they're doing...it's invaluable.