New crab snares

F
fish_4_all
Crabsnare3.jpg
Crabsnare1.jpg

I had not tired these yet and wanted to know what everyone thinks of them. I did try just the line without the bait cage and did really good so I hope these work even better. I got 17 crab in about 2 hours with just the line but no keepers, soft shells, females and small crab but still very effective. Only problem was a lot of them would drop off close to shore because the bait was too big and they didn't get tangled up in it. Is why I added the bait box to them. Were pretty simple to make and inexpensive. They have built in swivels in the middle bottom to hook your fishing line and a sinker for casting and dock fishing.

I figured if I can make them for about $4 why pay more for store bought leg grabbers that I never do well with. Now if they only catch keeper crab I will be very happy.

F
fishnquest
I've never seen ones like that before. The ones I use have 6 snare loops on them.

B
beaverfan
Ya thats a pretty cool snare. I would think it would be quite a bit more effective than the ones fishnquest is talking about.

F
fishnquest
I agree with you Jay, but I'm not sure those are legal where I am. I know down here there is something about 6 snares max. I have to cut one off when I buy them.

F
fish_4_all
I don't kow how they would look on these down in Oregon. There is no limit on snares up here but these are not "snares" anyway. Just loops of line to tangle up the crab in. A lot of fishers will just take fishing luine and make a messed up ball out of it to crab around here. This just makes a little order out that idea.

C
cobias
Those are awsome ! I cracked up when i saw that...no way they wont get tangled up in that!

F
fish_4_all
I called ODFW and they have no clue if it is legal down there. The ones I talked to in the Nrothwest region office had never even heard of fishing for crab that way. The web site is no help either. I would have to find out somewhere if they are legal to use in Oregon before bringing them with me if I make a trip there this fall.

Until then they should catch plenty of crab here.

F
fish_4_all
Just wanted to update information on the "snares". This is a tangle trap and therefore has no snares. As far as I can find there is no limit in the number of lines that a person can use on anyhting like this anywhere. I talked to WDFWE and OFW again and neither could find anythnig about tangled fishing line, only on the ones that have line that will close and capture the legs.

I would still call and find out to make sure but wanted to let everyone know what I have been abvle to find.