new 4wt and a few fish to break it in

brandon4455
brandon4455
got my cheap little 4wt today at wal mart along with some split shots,strike indicators,leader material and ordered my flies for the fly getogether after school. begged mom to go back to black rock again so i could test my newly aquired combo. could not be happier as far as performance. casts dries and heavy nymph setups pretty good. got 2 fish on a peacock elk hair caddis size 12 and the biggest fish was on a size 10 bead head caddis larva nymphed with an extra shot to get it down. until today i have never fought a good sized cutthroat on a trout sized fly rod.. man was that fight amazing.. the fish jumed 3 times and took a small amount of line, my rod was doubled over.. would not expect this from a decent sized trout. this is way better then my 8wt! :lol: im already in love with my cheap little 4wt those trout fight harder then i ever imagined.. my first trout on a trout sized fly rod was everything i hoped it would be and more. I still have a grin on my face from my rod bein doubled over. now, i do have pictures i took with my sisters phone, we are going to get service for it tomorrow possibly and i will send the pics to my email, or i have to wait until we get the usb cable next week. either way i will have pics :D . i want to sa thank you to everyone on here who helped me get started with fly fishing.especially bigsteel who let me fight the cutthroat on his 9wt and offered to help me learn vital fly fishing skills like mending (my mending still needs work gunna have to help me next time we fish dave! :lol: ) you all turned me into a somewhat succesful fly angler, i have caught fish on dries, streamers and nymphs now and i feel pretty acomplished. this has me sooo excited for the fly fishing getogether and my future fly fishing adventures. it also makes me feel good that the mortality rate is lower then that of spinner fishing which use to be my main method of angling. forgot to mention i left my spinning rod at home today and he might stay there for quite a while!

Last edited:
L
lilsalmon
Whats a spinning rod? hehe...wait til we get you to our little sweet spot......it is awesome...

V
Van
Grats on the new rod. I have a 4 wt myself i use for streams and small rivers when chasing little brookies and smaller trout as well as ponds for panfish. Keep in mind however that a 4wt is a pretty light rod for a place like the Deschutes. You dont want to spend too long playing a fish, so that you can ensure its survival.

M
markasd
Let the games begin!! you'll love that rod - like said tho, takes time to land the bigger fish and stresses em out a bit. Enjoy man!

S
Spydeyrch
Congrats Brandon!!! That sounds like such a fun little trip to test out the new rod. Keep it up and keep reporting your success. Hope to be down there some time soon again. Take care.

-Spydey

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks everyone. and no sweat about the bigger rivers and stuff. ill get a 5/6 eventually for that purpose that way there will be less stress on the fish. spydey, next time you get flies get some caddis,pupa and larva patterns in sizes 10-12and more caddis dries. should cover most of it. ill be hitting rickreall opening day if anyone wants to join me. (28th) ill be fly fishing only doin c&r :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Yohan
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Hey Brandon, what brand is the rod? I'm thinking Berkley Cherrywood? Or does your Wal Mart carry Pfleuger rods? Plfeuger made a nice 4 weight in their Purist series, and I think in their Summit series also. I had a 5 weight Summit, and a 4 wt Purist for a long time, till I passed them on to others who were starting out. I have waggled the Cherrywood rods from Berkley, and was impressed for how little they cost.

4 weights are great all around trout rods - the thing with landing larger fish on the "light" rods - put the screws to them. Light tippets and wiggly rods will let you really put some pressure on a fish - bend the rod as far as you can with them - on a big fish this might mean pointing the butt of the rod at the fish and bending the rod as much as you can. Light rods will cushion light tippets (which stretch a lot before breaking) pretty well. If it feels like you're taking too long to land a fish - give the fish some slack, straighten the rod, point the tip at the fish, and palm the spool for a second. The fish will break off and you don't spend too long playing them. Flies and tippet are cheap to replace. A lot of light-tackle fish playing is more on the angler's skill, than it is the gear. Since you've got a 4 weight, I'd probably honestly skip a 5 weight rod and get a #6 as my next rod - the 6 will be a good big-water rod, and will do well for summer steelhead on smaller waters too. There isn't' a LOT of difference between a 4 and a 5 weight. And for a river like the D, a 6 would be better on the big, wild fish than a 5. Eggs has proven tho, what a good angler can do with a 3 on that river.

O
OnTheFly
Way to go Brandon!:dance: You'll never look back!

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks jim :cool: ill be out there again tmorrow with a few other forum members. hoping to slay some more fish. i went again today and caught a nice amount on fish. all except one were on a size 12 royal stimulator. this dry fly fishing is kick arse! :dance: and mark, my rod says shakespeare micro graphite on it. probably similar in quality to a berkley cherywood rod.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Interesting - I've not seen that rod before. I'm going to have to do some digging. Glad you're catching fish with the new rod! I wish I had got some fish on my new 4 wt this week :( Mother Nature has conspired to make fishing out at Hagg all sorts of wonkey this spring.

brandon4455
brandon4455
GungasUncle said:
Interesting - I've not seen that rod before. I'm going to have to do some digging. Glad you're catching fish with the new rod! I wish I had got some fish on my new 4 wt this week :( Mother Nature has conspired to make fishing out at Hagg all sorts of wonkey this spring.
yeah ive heard that fishing at hagg has been a little weird this year so far. it's a cheap rod btw, i payed around 17 bucks for it :lol:

W
waco
Nice report and Congrats bro for been successful on the fly fishing adventure!!!! can't wait for your pics!!!

G
GDBrown
I love my 4wt so much I bought a nine foot blank so I can build one from scratch! I just need to get up the nerve to tell my wife before she realizes what I have done. LOL It will be fly rod number six or is it eight?

Welcome to the light line club.

GD

brandon4455
brandon4455
waco said:
Nice report and Congrats bro for been successful on the fly fishing adventure!!!! can't wait for your pics!!!

i have pics of the fish next to the rod and then a close up of the fly in their mouths :cool: thanks gd :D

C
CopperheadRat96
what works in the creek? I live in the rickreall portion (not keeping fish I may catch, I've been told it's too polluted down here.). Any suggestions?

brandon4455
brandon4455
depends on what your using gear wise? fly fishing i use rainbow prince witha beadhead, rubber leg prince with beaded in sizes 12-14 under an indicator..killed em today! or 1/8 oz roostertails in black,pink or brown. btw this was on another stream, not the creek. but i did fish the creek today. they were bitting pretty good!