Never fished the coast

D
DizzyOnion
I've always wanted to go fishing off the Jetty but never got invited to and my grandpa doesn't want to. I have only gone deep sea fishing once. And what does it take to go fishing off the Jetty? I have a normal spinner and 40lb braid I use for bass. Also I've heard it's best to go at night and high tide?

Irishrover
Irishrover
Welcome to the forum. Your spinning rod set up will be fine for jetty fishing. Remember there are a lot of rocks on the bottom that like to snag your gear. So don't let it set to long, be ready to retrieve. Which ever jetty you go to make a day time visit to check the place out. Night fishing can be good but daytime just before high slack can be good too. Plastic grubs work well as do clam necks. Be on your toes out there and watch for the waves, it can be a fun place to fish but jetties do present a certain challenge to safety. Good luck.

Reactions: Troutski
troutdude
troutdude
Irishrover;n613775 said:
Welcome to the forum. Your spinning rod set up will be fine for jetty fishing. Remember there are a lot of rocks on the bottom that like to snag your gear. So don't let it set to long, be ready to retrieve. Which ever jetty you go to make a day time visit to check the place out. Night fishing can be good but daytime just before high slack can be good too. Plastic grubs work well as do clam necks. Be on your toes out there and watch for the waves, it can be a fun place to fish but jetties do present a certain challenge to safety. Good luck.

Very wise counsel, right there. I would add to wear a PFD, and have a whistle on a lanyard (around your neck). So you can be found quickly; if needed.

I fished at night, way back in the day, and fished OFF of the south jetty at Yaquina Bay. For sea bass. Minus tide worked best. Fish OFF a finger jetty and face the bay, as the tide flows out. Then fish the slack until you get your limit. And be sure to get back OFF of the finger jetty, BEFORE the tide comes back in!

We used floating Rapala plugs. Just slowly reel in, and twitch. Let sit for a second or two, twitch again...and BAM!

4labs
4labs
troutdude;n613785 said:
Very wise counsel, right there. I would add to wear a PFD, and have a whistle on a lanyard (around your neck). So you can be found quickly; if needed.

I always tell people to wear one but didn't follow my preaching.
2 weeks ago fishing above Gold Beach at the 3 sisters with a 5ft swell ..in a place I've fished for 18yrs lost my balance and found myself in the open ocean and no PFD on
Arms and legs cut up from the fall and then getting pounded into the rocks from the swell I was able to get in behind a rock and climb up.
Did catch 1 ling and 2 blacks + a big bag of mussels, guess i'm getting 2 old (62) but still love rock fishing even with owning 2 boats,,, it's addicting,, been doing it for 50+ yrs

These are some of my favorite lures.. berkeley swim baits are my first choice

• photo32654.jpg
  • photo32655.jpg
  • photo32656.jpg
Reactions: C_Run
C_Run
C_Run
4labs;n613788 said:
troutdude;n613785 said:

I always tell people to wear one but didn't follow my preaching.
2 weeks ago fishing above Gold Beach at the 3 sisters with a 5ft swell ..in a place I've fished for 18yrs lost my balance and found myself in the open ocean and no PFD on
Arms and legs cut up from the fall and then getting pounded into the rocks from the swell I was able to get in behind a rock and climb up.
Did catch 1 ling and 2 blacks + a big bag of mussels, guess i'm getting 2 old (62) but still love rock fishing even with owning 2 boats,,, it's addicting,, been doing it for 50+ yrs

These are some of my favorite lures.. berkeley swim baits are my first choice

Wow, 4 labs. I am also 62 and just started fishing there a few years ago. There are lots of dangers on the rocks for sure. Glad you survived. I used to sprint over the rocks but hardly ever go off the rocks any more. Kayak, yes, but that has its' own hazzards.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Yikes 4labs, that had to hurt not to mention a dangerous situation. Glad you pulled yourself out. Those swimbaits you have pictured have work well for us on lingcod. I put them as the bottom hook with two shrimp flies above and drop them down.

troutdude
troutdude
Agreed. Glad you made it out safely 4labs !

Troutski
Troutski
What a great thread, you guys rock.... thank you for sharing. This is why OFF was created in the first place...

Chuck

Reactions: troutdude
4labs
4labs
Another good think to have is a long gaff. It also helps as a walking stick and helps to keep you balanced when jumping across jetty boulders

troutdude
troutdude
Oh...and don't grab the sea bass...their spines SMART! Just do the usual thumb underneath it's tongue thing to paralyze them; for hook removal. Just like freshwater bass. LOL

tbrinks
tbrinks
DizzyOnion;n613773 said:
I've always wanted to go fishing off the Jetty but never got invited to and my grandpa doesn't want to. I have only gone deep sea fishing once. And what does it take to go fishing off the Jetty? I have a normal spinner and 40lb braid I use for bass. Also I've heard it's best to go at night and high tide?

It's pretty easy to monitor tides on the Navionics app.

First open the app and move to an area you want to check out.

attachment.jpg

Then click the sun/cloud icon and it will bring you to a screen with the weather. Scroll down and you can view wind speeds as well as tides for the closest tide station. It shows what the tide will be there over the next week just by scrolling through the different days and times.

attachment.jpg