Never fished steelhead before...

F
Fisher.King
I went a few times with my dad when I was younger and he taught me some stuff but it was a long time ago. The only thing I remember was him using a huuuuuge leader with only a corky and yarn over a hook... When I started thinking about it the setup looked more and more like it snags fish instead of luring them in... We were going through tough times back then and I can understand why he used it, but I would like to try some new stuff (and more legal:rolleyes:). I saw the video on plunking and I'm trying that tomorrow, I would also like to try bait and flys at some point this year, any tips or common setups I should learn? Also anything about river conditions like what the best CFS is and water clarity?

M
metalfisher76
That`s a broad ?. What river ya gonna feesh? I see yer a lil south of me so someone else will have to help ya with CFS. Probably outta have a bobber rod with ya to cover some water before/after plunkin. Eggs/shrimp, pink worm on a jig head and jigs are good bets for winter steel. Look up more vids on youtube and search the forum. Tons of help here and there. Good luck!

troutdude
troutdude
Plunking is a very good idea, when the water is as high n' muddy, as it still is on many rivers. Use large and smelly baits, and drop 'em in near the bank (steelies do a lot of bank huggin' in fast n' silt filled water).

And like MF said, look under the Steelhead forum on here. There's a TON of great information on here.

Good luck!

P.S. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that there are no Willy river Winter Steel runs south of the Molalla. So, I believe that you'll need to hit the coastal streams; or go north to the Molalla, Clack, Sandy, etc.

Last edited:
R
RunWithSasquatch
troutdude said:
P.S. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that there are no Willy river Winter Steel runs south of the Molalla. So, I believe that you'll need to hit the coastal streams; or go north to the Molalla, Clack, Sandy, etc.

There are winter runs up the Santiams, but nothing to be retained. Also, corky and yarn can be killler, add a little shrimp cent (I prefer oils in yarn, gel gums up the yarn and takes the 'action' out of it) and you're ready to go, just use a realistic leader, and you'll get some biters.

J
JeannaJigs
There are winter runs in the willamette ABOVE Eugene, and they go up some creeks. Primarily the willamette and mckenzie are summer runs, but there is a push of winter nates. Siuslaw is your best bet though, and lake creek, when the slaw is blown lake creek is usually fishable. The siuslaw fishes best between 5-7 but anything less than 10 on the drop is decent. This weekend should be good on the upper river with a float and jig or eggs, drifting the upper river is frustrating there's a lot of snags, but it can produce too. There's a lot of water along stagecoach road that is accesible by bank, not many boats go down there, so it's not heavily pressured like the upper 2 miles from whittaker to wildcat. Last weekend it was 18 feet, so, who knows what it's going to look like clarity wise, my guess is a murky green, so go with lures/bait that have more contrast. As far as jigs, Black and red, pink and white, chartreuse and purple, all have worked for me when it's dirty over there. Be prepared to bring your own rock to stand on if you're going this weekend, the weekend warriors got robbed by mother nature last weekend.

R
RunWithSasquatch
I hate when they're so bright its hard to get a photo

I hate when they're so bright its hard to get a photo

0121110945-01.jpg

Here is a little corky and yarn from today :)

Last edited:
W
waco
that is BRIGHT fish im getting my polarized glasses to take a better look at it!!! ;) :think:

A
autofisher
My three favorites for winter steel have always been yarnies, pink worms and jigs. At least those are the ones that have worked for me in the past. I like drifting the pink worms..... I've seen winter steel stage up on em and hammer when I gave it just a little tug. Same thing can be said about drifting shrimp or yarnies yadda yadda....... If you hit up the North Santiam, I'd recommend hiking down into Minto Brown or North Santiam State Parks. There's decent bank access and I've had success at both spots.

P
plumb2fish
Winter steelhead can be really tough to entice at times. That being said, a corky/yarn set up can be very effective if it is "presented" correctly. You are going to have to spend time learning where/when they are. As well as how to get the desired "presentation" depending on river conditions. They are just big dumb lazy trout that will bite almost anything that is "presented" the right way. Go to a place where they are being caught and watch,ask questions and try to do what you see. Or send me a PM and I will take you on a float on a local river and see if we can't get one of those critters to eat some yarn.

C
crusty old fisherman
heck I know old timers that have never used anything except a corkie and yarn a steelhead will whack the crud out of it.

I myself have caught many steelies with a corkie yarn and just the left over skin from a bait of eggs, shoot I have even caught nooks on the slaw on just an old time pearl pink okie and nothing else. no they werent lined I was hanging at the end of the drift just sittin there bobbing in the current and bonk bonk bonk fish on .

one thing is for sure if you stick to pinkish corkies, lures or yarn your pretty safe pink is a really good color for metal heads

I am in west eugene also fisherking if you want to message me we can discuss some other aspects of fishing for steelhead and maybe hook up and fish some time.

crusty

F
Fisher.King
Wow I went fishing the day after I posted this and forgot about it! Thanks for all the info guys I'll try to use it :) Plumb and Crusty thanks for the offers I might take you guys up on them...