Never fished in Oregon, help from South Carolina

C
Catmandude
Here's the deal, I've been fishing in South Carolina for a couple of years, crappie, bream, bass and catfish, I go for the big 40lb+ cats, I have several on my board. Lots of fun and a hell of a fight.
Anyway, I am moving to Oregon in late September early October, I need to know anything and everything yall can tell me about the gear I need for these salmon, sturgeon and steelhead, and whatever else you have in the water.
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and opinions, HELP from South Carolina

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Where in Oregon are you going to be located?

C
Catmandude
The Dalles, I think it's called snake river or hood river or the Columbia river, don't know any other water in that area

S
Snopro
Catmandude said:
The Dalles, I think it's called snake river or hood river or the Columbia river, don't know any other water in that area
I'm surprised you haven't looked at a map. You sound a little unsure geographically of nearby waters.

Mouth of the Snake river is 140 miles away from The Dalles.

The Columbia river flowing next to The Dalles has excellent smallmouth, walleye, sturgeon fishing. It's also looking like there will be a strong salmon season this Fall.

The Deschutes river is 15 miles away and can be excellent for wild redside rainbow trout. Sadly steelhead runs on Columbia watershed rivers are depressed, having terrible returns the last couple years. DFW management has responded accordingly on the Deschutes.

Don't bother with the Hood river, it's full.😉

John Day river is 30 miles away and the channel cats should make you feel right at home. More sub 12" smallmouth than you would ever want to catch as a bonus.

On the Washington side, the Klickitat, White, Drano and Wind are a salmon show and should be on your list.

You're going to be busy.👍

Reactions: Diehard and jamisonace
troutdude
troutdude
Our Bible (tells you how and why):

This one is also a perennial classic (tells you where and how):

Reactions: pcstock and DOKF
DOKF
DOKF
Sheehan's book was indispensable when I first arrived in Oregon ...

Reactions: troutdude and pcstock