Never caught a steelhead. Help

Cedonulli

Howdy---new in this site. Im 65 and in a wheelchair but can go 100 feet at a time with crutches. Ive never caught a steelhead and its on my bucket list! Where can anyone suggest where I don't have to hike to get one. I also don't own a boat or it would be easy. Can you get them from the banks anywhere close to Portland? Within 100 miles? Thanks

my2labs

Most Featured
Estacada Lake has a solid dock and hosts both salmon and steelhead when they are in the Clackamas. (Lake is in Milo Mciver Park) (I know I spelled that wrong) -- Ive seen multiple salmon swim right passed the dock. You can catch them there 100%.

North Fork Reservoir has one as well. Though I can't say whether steelies or salmon make it there or not.

Keep in mind that both of these lakes are closed to trout till May 2020 I think... anyway.... just make sure to check the regs.

Also in Pacific City (Nestucca River ) there are some parking lots that offer access that you could certainly use.

cchinook

Dog Creek , Milo Mciver state park , on the Clack . Drive all the way down thru the park to the parking area ,
then drive down to the far end of the parking area . Easy walk in path . A lot of steel caught there . Bobber and jig .
For more directions and help rigging call me at 503 246 8501 . March would be better . Charlie

cchinook

Also , Oxbow Park , at the sand drift boat launch , you can be dropped off right next to the water . The parking
lot is about 50 yds . away but it is steep to walk down . I have caught a lot of coho , nooks and steel there .
It would be ideal for you . Easy drop off and pick up for you . Again , call me and I will provide details . Charlie

Benslammah!

Howdy---new in this site. Im 65 and in a wheelchair but can go 100 feet at a time with crutches. Ive never caught a steelhead and its on my bucket list! Where can anyone suggest where I don't have to hike to get one. I also don't own a boat or it would be easy. Can you get them from the banks anywhere close to Portland? Within 100 miles? Thanks
Go to the nehalem hatchery they have a handicap ramp with wheelchair access. You wil fish prime water. Use nightmare jigs or blue and silver blue fox spinners

atjohnson1111

Go to the nehalem hatchery they have a handicap ramp with wheelchair access. You wil fish prime water. Use nightmare jigs or blue and silver blue fox spinners
And I’ll add onto that! I’ve had some relative success with a bead under a float on that system. 10mm speckled orange with blood dot. Helps a lot if you pre tie your leaders too! Let me know if you have any questions on that set up!

ahaberkorn

Agree with what everyone has said here. All of those spots would be great for you from what I know. I'll double down on finding and going out with a guide though. Nothing will compare with having their knowledge, gear and ability to get to great spots. I know it can be cost prohibitive, but your chances of catching fish will be much greater. I'd be sure to let them know what you are comfortable with in terms of getting in and out of the boat as their are some rivers that you can't fish from a boat and would need to get in/out quite a bit. Best of luck!

You want to learn how to catch steelhead hire a guide, you will learn more in a day then you would all year. Think of it as an all day condensed steelhead fishing class..

A guide may seem expensive, but/she may save you from buying a bunch of un needed gear or the wrong gear.

bb

Last edited:

Top Bottom